Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
This is the only motor home I've had, that prevents the house batteries from being charged with the 12 volt switch in disconnect, or in store. Every other coach I've had, if the 12 volt switch is off, or disconnect, you get no 12 volt power to the house, but if plugged into shore power you can still charge house batteries. Since my coach is always plugged in while in storage, leaving that switch in run or use, keeps batteries fully charged.

Old 06-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #22

Model: 2017 Thor Vegas 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #7993
My store/use switch doesn't seem to do anything. All the interior lights and radios still work when I push the store side of the rocker.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #23

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
My store/use switch doesn't seem to do anything. All the interior lights and radios still work when I push the store side of the rocker.
Then it is not working properly. You are lucky to have it stuck in the on rather than the off position. Unless you are good with electrical work, I would take it in and have someone look at it. Is it a new coach? Could be wired incorrectly (mine was) or a faulty switch.
Old 06-22-2017, 06:37 PM   #24
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
Are you plugged into 120V ? When in store and plugged in all of that will still work because of the converter.

You should hear a pretty significant clunk when switching in between use and store.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 07:58 PM   #25
vkb

Model: Axis 24.1 KC's Big Box
State: Kansas
THOR #3510
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdrabik View Post
Question for you guys who have had battery draw issues related to the radio - do you have the Jensen radio or the Axxera?

We have not had any battery issues....
we have the Axxerra up front and the Jensen in the bedroom. We make sure, when the ignition to the motorhome is turned off, and we are exiting the motorhome, and not hooked up to shore power we place the switch in Store. We depress the on/off switch on the Axxerra until the unit is off. (when we are not using the radio , we always make sure this radio is turned off)

Regarding the Jensen...go into settings and turn off the back light. It saves a constant battery draw from that unit.
Jeep Wrangler TJ
vkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #26

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Here is s mantra you need to memorize regarding the Use/Store switch. -- The coach batteries will charge off the converter (when on shore power), the generator (when running), and/or the engine driven alternator, BUT ONLY IF THE USE/STORE SWITCH IS IN THE USE POSITION.

Remember when that switch is in Store the coach batteries are isolated (disconnected) from all charging sources. A disconnected battery will not charge -- coach batteries are connected to their charging g sources when the switch is in the Use position. So when should it be in Store -- when stored for a prolonged period if it is not connected to shore power while in storage. Any other time it should be in Use -- when connected to shore power, when the generator is running g, when driving down the road.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #27

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdrabik View Post
Question for you guys who have had battery draw issues related to the radio - do you have the Jensen radio or the Axxera?
No parasitic drain issue, but I have the Axxera 615, but its controlled by the ignition switch, which essentially disconnects the radio from power. In the living area, there is a Jensen, which as long as the use/store is in use, will keep displays active.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:07 AM   #28

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
THOR #1765
I think that all the radios that Thor uses have some parasitic drain issues because they have to be continuously hooked up to power to keep their internal settings such as clock, etc. I have installed on/off switches on both my radios so that I can turn them completely off when I store my Axis or dry camp.
Old 06-24-2017, 05:43 PM   #29

Model: 2017 Citation 24SR
THOR #7515
I bought one of these for less than $40. It uses BlueTooth to send the data to the display, which means the display and can most anywhere. I am mounting mine so that when the battery switch is in store, no power is being drawn by the circuit.

DROK DC 0-120V 0-100A Digital Multimeter Charge-Discharge Battery Tester, Volt Meter/Ammeter/Watt Meter/Time/Capacity/Electricity Usage Monitor, LCD Color Screen with Overvoltage Protection

This should keep me from running my batteries below 50% and aide me in using solar power.

Terry - W6LMJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FW28z View Post
Most coaches have some sort of battery disconnect that will remove the coach batteries from the circuit.

In storage, you typically disconnect the batteries so they are not drained by the various small circuits that are on all the time... stereo keep alive, antenna power, etc.

When in operation, the battery should auto-connect to the house (at least mine works this way) when you plug into shorepower so the charger in the converter/distribution panel can charge the house battery.

This is how it should work in general... your situation may be different depending on how it was built, features you have, and so on.

Tags
battery