Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #8022
v-10 air intake changes

I have a 2016 miramar 34.3 and was wondering if anyone has changed out their factory air cleaner to one of the after market air intake systems and if so did they help with gas milage ?

Old 02-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #2

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
Don't know about Cold Air style intake for V10 but I've had them on a few other cars, 4 cyl. to V8 and they made no difference in MPG or power, but did add more noise sound to engine. IMO, I wouldn't waste the money or time. Only thing that "MAY" make a difference is a special tune for what ever you're trying to gain and again I stress, "may".
Old 02-14-2018, 07:04 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
I agree that if trying to save on fuel it's a a bad investment.

Modern naturally-aspirated fuel-injected engines don't work like old carbureted ones. Reducing pressure drop across air filter can/may increase maximum power, but won't affect fuel economy unless you're always driving at full throttle. Even then the difference in fuel economy is minimal.

For a given amount of needed cruising power, if the air filter has less restriction, then the throttle valve will close that much more to offset gain, so no difference.

I know a lot of people make claims, but I'd be very skeptical.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:57 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
But they do sound better...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:40 AM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
I have a K&N cleaner and housing for many years now. I don't think it changes much except the intake sound.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:30 AM   #6

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
Don’t know that it made a difference but I made a cold air intake from dryer vent hose and dryer vent with louvers removed, zip tied to back of grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B66E03D6-D555-40FC-A042-DA0793C3CFD5.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	9047

Name:	DFC1F9D2-8C92-4BAD-BC69-CFCE0728042F.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	9048

Name:	F402C772-3635-49C9-9C7B-340741B41A17.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	9049

Biggest difference was installing the 5 Star Tune. Better acceleration, shifting, and all around performance. Gas mileage went up approximately 0.5 mpg but that’s not why I installed it, did it for the shifting and performance. Based on my subjective experience I would install the 5 Star Tune again.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I was just looking at 5-Star's advertisement in "Motorhome" magazine...
It's definitely going on my Wish-List!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I was just looking at 5-Star's advertisement in "Motorhome" magazine...
It's definitely going on my Wish-List!
I had a 5-Star tune on our F-350 when we pulled a 5er...zoom zoom zoom

(I really liked it, the wife didn't because it really hardened up the shifts.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #9

THOR #2121
Motorhome Magazine testing found it reduced their fuel economy. Perhaps others get different results, but I personally wouldn't install it solely to increase MPG.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #10

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Motorhome Magazine testing found it reduced their fuel economy. Perhaps others get different results, but I personally wouldn't install it solely to increase MPG.
5 Star Tune can adjust the tune for power or economy, you can’t have both, and they are very nice to work with!
Old 02-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #11

Model: 22FE
State: Washington
THOR #8606
5 star on my wish list too but I don't see how it would increase mileage and I'm sure it would void warranty if something was to go wrong with trans or engine. I know some say you can re install original tune but I have not seen this with my own eyes and makes me a little apprehensive to buy one. What if something did go wrong and you could not re install original tune? Really be up a "s" creek at that point. Maybe when mine is out of warranty, then.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:18 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
No a 5-Star tune decreases economy simply because it makes it a lot more fun to drive
Old 02-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I had a 5-Star tune on our F-350 when we pulled a 5er...zoom zoom zoom

(I really liked it, the wife didn't because it really hardened up the shifts.)
Firming-up the shifting reduces slippages, and saves a lot of wear and tear on the slushbox.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post
5 Star Tune can adjust the tune for power or economy, you can’t have both, and they are very nice to work with!
The most common way to improve economy on an old engine like V10 is to run it leaner, which can cause damage, and I wouldn't risk it on mine to save a couple of dollars. I have 176,000 on V10 and would bet I wouldn't have saved enough on gas to pay for the "tune".
Old 02-15-2018, 02:59 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
The most common way to improve economy on an old engine like V10 is to run it leaner, which can cause damage, and I wouldn't risk it on mine to save a couple of dollars. I have 176,000 on V10 and would bet I wouldn't have saved enough on gas to pay for the "tune".
I never ran the economy tune on my F-350, always the performance tune. Put a good 60,000 miles on that tune before trading it in for the Axis. Ran great the whole time.
Old 02-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Our old two-stroke snowmobiles always ran better when you leaned them out.

But they ran best, right before they blew up!

Technology has come a long way, and I'd bet that their tuning parameters are safe.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:41 AM   #17

Model: Hurricane 29D
State: Florida
THOR #5756
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD View Post

Biggest difference was installing the 5 Star Tune. Better acceleration, shifting, and all around performance. Gas mileage went up approximately 0.5 mpg but that’s not why I installed it, did it for the shifting and performance. Based on my subjective experience I would install the 5 Star Tune again.
I am with you on that! 5 Star Tune is the winner. I think K&N was just wasted money. It has some kind of a cold air intake The intake snorkel is going down all the way to the axle level. I assume that the air cannot get much colder, but I still don't feel any good coming from it.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:09 PM   #18

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudsoner View Post
I am with you on that! 5 Star Tune is the winner. I think K&N was just wasted money. It has some kind of a cold air intake The intake snorkel is going down all the way to the axle level. I assume that the air cannot get much colder, but I still don't feel any good coming from it.
IMHO there are a lot of misconceptions about K&N filters. At normal operating rpms a K&N has little effect on airflow capacity (intake vacuum). At high rpms there is better airflow and a reduction of intake vacuum, great if you are racing but not much benefit for the average driver. ( And before anyone says anything, yes I know your best friends uncle Elmo put a K&N filter in his RV and got 5 more mpg, did uncle Elmo really know how to “cipher” the math or was he running downhill the whole time?) How many RVers operate in the high rpm ranges for any length of time, I would think not to many. Filtering capacity in terms of particles captured is much lower for K&N, it just plain lets more stuff thru. Lots of studies on this if you want to look them up. Bottom line, if you’re racing get a K&N, if not stick with a good quality dry filter, it’ll filter out more crud and keep your engine cleaner.

Cold air intakes were a big thing many years back when we had air cleaners with snorkels that terminated behind the radiator, the snorkels pulled in hot air coming off the radiator, not good! For quite a number of years modern engines have uses cold air intakes, usually behind a headlight or similar place, to increase fuel economy and power. If you look under the hood of your RV I’m pretty sure that in most you will see the air snorkel in front of the radiator.

Save your money! Even if the K&N and cold air intake did give you a 1/2 mpg increase when you figure in the cost of the system vs savings at the pump you are going to end up with a net loss.

The above is again IMHO, I just hate to see my friends waste money on snake oil when they could use it for buying more useful goodies for their RV!!!

Have FUN and stay safe in 2018!!!
Old 02-16-2018, 05:43 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Since I'd rather not run off to their website: I have a question for the guys who have used a 5-Star setup...
Can you switch back and forth between "economy" and "power" settings; or are they set up for you at the time purchase?
Old 02-16-2018, 05:53 PM   #20
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Since I'd rather not run off to their website: I have a question for the guys who have used a 5-Star setup...
Can you switch back and forth between "economy" and "power" settings; or are they set up for you at the time purchase?
You get an OBD-II programmer/scan tool that has the programs in them. The first thing it does when you plug in is download the current calibration off the vehicle (the OEM one). It stores that so you can return it to stock at any time.

After that you just select the calibration you want and wait a bit (along with few key cycles during the process).

To switch between economy and power you have to reflash the respective calibration into the vehicle.

You'd have to keep in mind that the flash memory in car engine computers isn't rated for a ton of cycles so I'd be leery of switching back and forth between the different calibrations all the time (think about it your average car may get reflashed once, twice...maybe three times in its life).