Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2019, 03:46 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis
State: Louisiana
THOR #13864
v10 check engine P0496

Anyone had this code or know what it is about. We got this check engine light 2 days after bring it home. pretty sure the rv dealer just cleared it before we picked it up. As i can clear the code and it will take a couple of days before it comes back on again.

Took it in to the large ford dealer here and they wouldn't look at it because it's a "RV" I made the apt for a E-450. 2018 Thor Axis.

Old 02-01-2019, 05:16 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Google is your friend and easy

https://repairpal.com/obd-ii-code-p0...igh-purge-flow
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:22 AM   #3

THOR #13864
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
yes but google doesn't say if this is something that is happening often on the ford v10. So maybe i should have worded it better. Has anyone else had this issue and what ended fixing the issue.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:43 AM   #4

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzshack View Post
Took it in to the large ford dealer here and they wouldn't look at it because it's a "RV" I made the apt for a E-450. 2018 Thor Axis.
Do you have a Ford Fleet Truck Dealer in the area? If so give them a try. They are used to working on the bigger stuff.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:04 PM   #5
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
EVAP code: Check your filler cap; is it on tight?
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
What Jamie said
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #7

THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
YES! This is the most often error code for emissions. Remove the gas cap, clean gasket and screw back in. It usually takes 2-3 engine starts to reset the error code.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:27 PM   #8

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
I had this same problem code on my 2018 Chateau (2017 Ford E450 chassis). I had it repaired under warranty at a Ford dealership. It turned out to be a failed EVAP purge solenoid.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #9

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
YES! This is the most often error code for emissions. Remove the gas cap, clean gasket and screw back in. It usually takes 2-3 engine starts to reset the error code.

Or just replace the cap...could be internal within the venting. Cheap fix.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:40 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
Do you have a Ford Fleet Truck Dealer in the area? If so give them a try. They are used to working on the bigger stuff.

X2 on finding a Ford dealer that will work on RVs. Some do, some don’t. You’ll be well served to know where the nearest one that will is.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:26 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
X2 on finding a Ford dealer that will work on RVs. Some do, some don’t. You’ll be well served to know where the nearest one that will is.

And take your shoe box of money with you. Most commercial truck dealer service departments vomit when a motorhome pulls on the lot. They hate working on them and the labor rates are very high because of this.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #12

Model: Chatea 31E
State: Maryland
THOR #5837
It's a new motorhome, so it's under warranty. You shouldn't have to pay anything to get it fixed. I had this problem on my big class C fixed at a regular Ford car/truck dealership, and there was no cost to me.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:56 PM   #13

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Maybe I’m just lucky but my nearest Ford dealer has been as nice and helpful as he could be. There are often RVs there. Only issue I’ve had with him is that his alignment rack couldn’t accommodate my RV but referred me to a truck service place about 5 miles away that handled that chore. Of course I’ve not needed much Ford work done so maybe it’ll be different if something serious breaks.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:48 PM   #14

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Maybe I’m just lucky but my nearest Ford dealer has been as nice and helpful as he could be. There are often RVs there. Only issue I’ve had with him is that his alignment rack couldn’t accommodate my RV but referred me to a truck service place about 5 miles away that handled that chore. Of course I’ve not needed much Ford work done so maybe it’ll be different if something serious breaks.
I second that. Geweke Ford in Yuba City CA has done a great job for me. From recall work, oil changes and service to warranty work. I have had no problems with the engine to require warranty work other than a reprogram of the computer to fix the regen issue. This was before any recalls for reprograming. They had it for 1-1/2 days communicating with Ford Engineers in Detroit. No invoice, only an apology for having it so long. My front end align was referred to an equally professional truck suspension business who also got the job of installing my Sumos.
Oil changes have been about $160 for 15 qt. full synthetic (3 five qt containers. Unused 2-3 qts returned to me.) Lube, oil, filter, tire check and the usual inspection. Makes my happy
Old 02-02-2019, 12:48 AM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Not our nearest Ford dealer but I found one about 25 miles away that could handle the Axis. They warranted the transmission shifter cable for us.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:29 AM   #16

THOR #13864
I went and picked up a new gas cap yesterday, but had to take the RV in for warranty work today. So we will see if that fixes the issue are not when we pick it up. Always took a few days for the code to come back after i cleared it.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #17

THOR #7425
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyzshack View Post
Anyone had this code or know what it is about. We got this check engine light 2 days after bring it home. pretty sure the rv dealer just cleared it before we picked it up. As i can clear the code and it will take a couple of days before it comes back on again.

What Does P0496 Mean?
The Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) System seals the fuel system of the vehicle in order to prevent fuel vapors from the fuel tank and fuel system from escaping into the atmosphere. This is important because fuel vapors contain a variety of hydrocarbons. Hydrocarbons form smog when they react with air and sunlight. Gasoline evaporates very quickly, so if the fuel system is open to the atmosphere a vehicle can pollute 24 hours per day without even being turned on. These uncontrolled evaporative emissions account for as much as 20% of the pollution produced by a vehicle! When trouble code P0496 is set, it means that there is an issue with the purge flow in the EVAP system.

P0496 Symptoms
There may not be any noticeable driving issues with your vehicle but your engine could be running rich which could cause internal damage to your engine. There may also be a rough start when cranking the ignition.

P0496 Causes
Faulty purge or vent solenoid/valve
Faulty EVAP/fuel pressure sensor
Blocked vapor canister
Leaking evap system hose
Blocked vapor canister
Poor electrical connections
Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #18

Model: Axis 25.4
THOR #6582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
What Does P0496 Mean?...
As a follow-up to Marc's: Sounds like Ford warranty. I found another site that had a diagnostic: https://www.fixdapp.com/blog/p0496
Difficulty of Diagnosis and Repair – (3-6)
  1. Reset the Check Engine Light to see if the Check Engine Light returns in the future.
  2. If the code returns, grab your digital multimeter, turn off your engine, with the ignition on and seal your EVAP system using the Seal/Purge function. Using your multimeter, watch the fuel tank pressure sensor with the sealed EVAP system. If the value is higher than normal, then it may be time to replace the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve.
  3. If the purge valve checks out as good, then there may be an intermittent fuel tank pressure sensor or some internal electrical issues and you may need to take your vehicle to a mechanic.
Not your code but related...I had a check engine/service light early on, while on the road, shortly after my purchase. Online suggestions were to check the cap, replace the cap, 2 to 3 restarts before clearing, etc, until I found a reference for a Ford recall. I logged into Ford's owner site (kinda touchy-feely) and there was a notice of a recall re: improper torquing of the crankshaft pulley. I took it to the dealer when I got home (I had printed out the page to bypass that "stupid consumer" delay). Oddly the time frame for service has passed. https://ford.oemdtc.com/2829/custome...eries-f-series
Hellwig sway bars F&R, 235/85 Hankook ATM, alignment...HUGE!!!
Battery watering, 260watts Solar and BigFeets to make life easier.
gnach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:01 PM   #19

Model: Axis 24.1
State: New York
THOR #3477
I have the same error code. Does anyone have a evaporation/vacuum schematic for a 2015 axis 24.1? 2x gas caps did not work! I have a “smoker” and want to test the vacuum lines but can’t find the input port. And does anyone know where the charcoal canister is? Thanks
Old 09-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #20

THOR #13864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering724 View Post
I have the same error code. Does anyone have a evaporation/vacuum schematic for a 2015 axis 24.1? 2x gas caps did not work! I have a “smoker” and want to test the vacuum lines but can’t find the input port. And does anyone know where the charcoal canister is? Thanks
My P0496 code was the engine purge valve stuck open (replaced it $150), super easy to check and fix no smoke required. Take the doghouse off and it's right there.

The most common fix for this DTC is to replace the purge solenoid valve. However, be sure to do a proper diagnosis before replacing parts! Ideally you would use an advanced scan tool, with the ignition on and engine off, you seal the EVAP system using the Seal/Purge function. Then, watch the fuel tank pressure sensor reading when you turn the purge off. If the pressure value is higher than the normal range set by the manufacturer, replace the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve. Refer to a model-specific repair guide for the proper specification. If you don't have access to the scan tool, you could always disconnect the vacuum line at the purge valve going back to the charcoal canister. Unplug the electrical connector on the purge valve, start the engine, then put your finger on the valve where you disconnected the line. If you can feel vacuum there, the purge solenoid valve is faulty and needs to be replaced. Alternately, you could simply remove the purge solenoid valve and blow into it. It is normally closed, so if air goes through then you need to replace it. If the purge valve checks out good, either the problem with the valve is intermittent or there is a problem with the fuel tank pressure sensor. To test the fuel tank pressure sensor you will need to have a high end scan tool to monitor the tank pressure with the gas cap removed. If the sensor shows vacuum with the gas cap removed, there is a problem with the fuel tank pressure sensor. Here is a picture of one purge solenoid valve. Yours may look similar or different, consult a factory service guide or your local vehicle dealership for more details:

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0496