Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2020, 10:41 PM   #1
rhb

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Oregon
THOR #19441
Valve identification Sequence 20L

Has anyone been able to find anything in the documentation or from any other source that describes the function of any of the valves dealing with the hot and cold water flow under the driver side bed in the 20L. Clearly they include the water heater by pass valve and other similar functions necessary for winterizing the van. However, unlike the Winnebago Travato 59K these are not labeled. The space in which they are located is not the easiest when it comes to trying to trace out the water lines.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:50 PM   #2

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhb View Post
Has anyone been able to find anything in the documentation or from any other source that describes the function of any of the valves dealing with the hot and cold water flow under the driver side bed in the 20L. Clearly they include the water heater by pass valve and other similar functions necessary for winterizing the van. However, unlike the Winnebago Travato 59K these are not labeled. The space in which they are located is not the easiest when it comes to trying to trace out the water lines.
The valve connecting the two lines (hopefully blue and red) should be closed (cross ways from the line) for normal operation. The other valves in the lines should be open (lined up with the line). If there is a tank drain valve, it will be in the blue line and the end will go directly through the floor and it needs to be closed..
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:59 PM   #3
rhb

THOR #19441
Thank you for your response.

Not having any problems with normal operation.

Just trying to identify the valves so I know exactly what each of them do when it is time to winterize. There are 6 different valves. But it is not very easy in the space to determine the exact purpose of each.

Since there is not any documentation, I figured it would be better to start early to try and identify, instead of waiting until I actually need the information. On the Winnebago Travato 59k the similar valves were clearly labeled.
(a friend of ours has one of those) Somewhat surprised that Thor did not do the same with the Sequence 20L.
Old 08-22-2020, 09:02 PM   #4
rhb

THOR #19441
Did get some diagrams from Thor customer service. After going through the diagrams and tracing some of the locations. This is the conclusion that I came to.

There are 6 valves under the drivers side bench. When you open the hatch their are two (one hot, and one cold) that are on lines rising vertical to the back and right of the area. These are water cutoffs going to the kitchen faucets.

Along the floor just to the left of center of the hatch area are two more valves. One is on a cold water line and is labeled shutoff. I believe this one this cuts off cold water going to the Truma hot water heater.

The second valve is identified with bypass on the drawings and is on a hot water line but connects after the valve connection to a cold water line. That should make this the water heater bypass valve.

There is a 5th valve over to the right of the hatch in a vertical hot water line. This appears to be the cut off the hot water out put from the hot water heater.

The 6th valve is the Truma through floor pressure relief and through floor tank drain.

On the 20L the antifreeze port is under the passenger bed, behind the back wall of the storage area. Next to it there is also the shutoff valve from the water storage tank. The water tank through floor drain valve is also over under the passenger bed in the corner next to the sliding door.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:20 AM   #5

Model: Sequence 20L
State: Washington
THOR #21536
Quote:
Did get some diagrams from Thor customer service. After going through the diagrams and tracing some of the locations. This is the conclusion that I came to.

There are 6 valves under the drivers side bench. When you open the hatch their are two (one hot, and one cold) that are on lines rising vertical to the back and right of the area. These are water cutoffs going to the kitchen faucets.

Along the floor just to the left of center of the hatch area are two more valves. One is on a cold water line and is labeled shutoff. I believe this one this cuts off cold water going to the Truma hot water heater.

The second valve is identified with bypass on the drawings and is on a hot water line but connects after the valve connection to a cold water line. That should make this the water heater bypass valve.

There is a 5th valve over to the right of the hatch in a vertical hot water line. This appears to be the cut off the hot water out put from the hot water heater.

The 6th valve is the Truma through floor pressure relief and through floor tank drain.

On the 20L the antifreeze port is under the passenger bed, behind the back wall of the storage area. Next to it there is also the shutoff valve from the water storage tank. The water tank through floor drain valve is also over under the passenger bed in the corner next to the sliding door.
For someone new to RV's and a Thor Sequence, is there any way to create a video or at least photos to help someone like me out? I just watched the 1 + hour youtube video Thor released on the Sequence and it didn't mention most of the valves you just did. It seems odd to me that they would place things you need to have regular access to behind panels that require multiple screws to be removed and replaced instead of more accessible hatch.

Also - just where IS the Truma system mounted? They mention a yellow valve that needs to be flipped when winterizing. No idea where this is.

And - where does the cylindrical white water filter go? It was still wrapped in plastic and located in the big drawer near the microwave.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:34 PM   #6
rhb

THOR #19441
Quote:
Originally Posted by james3342 View Post
For someone new to RV's and a Thor Sequence, is there any way to create a video or at least photos to help someone like me out? I just watched the 1 + hour youtube video Thor released on the Sequence and it didn't mention most of the valves you just did. It seems odd to me that they would place things you need to have regular access to behind panels that require multiple screws to be removed and replaced instead of more accessible hatch.

Also - just where IS the Truma system mounted? They mention a yellow valve that needs to be flipped when winterizing. No idea where this is.

And - where does the cylindrical white water filter go? It was still wrapped in plastic and located in the big drawer near the microwave.
If you take off the mattress on the driver side bed, you will find a hatch near the the sink. Under the hatch to the right you will find the cylinder that the water filter goes in. To the left you will find the Truma system, at the far end toward the wall you will see the valve for draining the Truma system.

Under that hatch you will see all of the valves that I mentioned earlier, except for the main water tank cut off which is under the bed on the passenger side behind the bulkhead.

I ddi take some pictures, though was unable to post them.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #7

THOR #21536
Quote:
If you take off the mattress on the driver side bed, you will find a hatch near the the sink. Under the hatch to the right you will find the cylinder that the water filter goes in. To the left you will find the Truma system, at the far end toward the wall you will see the valve for draining the Truma system.

Under that hatch you will see all of the valves that I mentioned earlier, except for the main water tank cut off which is under the bed on the passenger side behind the bulkhead.

I ddi take some pictures, though was unable to post them.
Thanks! I've had some issues understanding how the hot water system works. I know how to turn it on, but had a couple of questions I hope you can answer.

1. Do I have to turn the water on to "fill" the pipes before I turn on the system? If not, what is the proper sequence to get the water hot?

2. How long after I turn it on (say to ECO or HOT) before it reaches the correct temp?
Old 01-03-2021, 05:29 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I've always had water in the system; before turning the Truma on.
I've never timed it: but the Truma gets up to temperature quicker than any other system.
Old 01-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #9
rhb

THOR #19441
Quote:
Thanks! I've had some issues understanding how the hot water system works. I know how to turn it on, but had a couple of questions I hope you can answer.

1. Do I have to turn the water on to "fill" the pipes before I turn on the system? If not, what is the proper sequence to get the water hot?

2. How long after I turn it on (say to ECO or HOT) before it reaches the correct temp?
While the unit does hold water I would certainly make sure it is full before I turn it on (either by being connected to a water source or by having the pump on.

Not sure on how fast it heats up. I usually use the timed setting to start it a few minutes before I plan on waking up in the morning. With boost setting it does heat up pretty quickly though.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:52 PM   #10

THOR #21536
So when you say quickly, you aren't turning it on then running water immediately and getting hot water, correct? You turn it on, wait 15-25 minutes then good to go, right? I am basing this time on winter conditions (outside temps in the 30's). Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse - I'm 100% new to all of this and want to be sure my system is operating as designed and I'm not doing anything wrong that could damage my system.

Thanks for your patience.
James
Old 01-03-2021, 11:59 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
It's actually more like 15 seconds..
Old 01-04-2021, 12:25 AM   #12

THOR #21536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
It's actually more like 15 seconds..
Bob - what's the ambient temp outside and the water temp? Were you running the heating system at the same time or just the hot water? I've not had it it get this hot that fast at all. Ever.
Old 01-04-2021, 12:38 AM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We are warm weather creatures... I wonder if we might have a different model Truma? After all: I'm in a Class C rig... The thing does a bang-up job of heating up the water. When I shut the water off at the shower head for sudsing: I only get about a second's worth of cold water when I set it to running again..
Old 01-04-2021, 01:07 AM   #14

THOR #21536
Bob - I'm in a class b Sequence. If you are in New York in the winter, and your water gets hot in 15 seconds, I must have an issue... Any ideas?
Old 01-04-2021, 01:23 AM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I don't go anywhere near my rig from October; to April...
Old 01-04-2021, 03:36 AM   #16
rhb

THOR #19441
Quote:
Bob - what's the ambient temp outside and the water temp? Were you running the heating system at the same time or just the hot water? I've not had it it get this hot that fast at all. Ever.
While I have never looked at it to see how fast it heats up. However, I have put it on in boost mode and had hot water for a shower 20 minutes later.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:27 PM   #17
lec

THOR #21790
rhb, the truma manual is consistent with your experience. It says it takes 20 minutes to heat the tank of water.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:40 PM   #18
lec

THOR #21790
I have not been able to find the operational details I need to confidently understand the water system. I recently took delivery on a Sequence 20L, I'm new to RV'ing and just completed my first full hookup and overnight stay at a local park. When I tried to fill my tank water came directly out directly under the van and under the base of the passenger bed (what I learned from this thread must be the thru-floor water tank drain). I just removed the bed door/base, found the valve, checked it and it was open. It is now closed so I can hopefully fill the tank next time. I used the city port instead to have water for the trip.

Question - a main water tank shutoff valve (under the passenger bed by the winterizer fill port) was mentioned. What purpose does this serve? Or maybe I should ask when should I have it open and when should I have it closed?
Old 01-10-2021, 10:07 PM   #19
lec

THOR #21790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The valve connecting the two lines (hopefully blue and red) should be closed (cross ways from the line) for normal operation. The other valves in the lines should be open (lined up with the line). If there is a tank drain valve, it will be in the blue line and the end will go directly through the floor and it needs to be closed..
Beau388, All of these valves on my new Sequence 21L are open. Could help me identify the two valves you are referring to, and why they need to be closed? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2021, 10:52 PM   #20

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by lec View Post
Beau388, All of these valves on my new Sequence 21L are open. Could help me identify the two valves you are referring to, and why they need to be closed? Thanks.
I will try. Hopefully you have red and blue PEX tubing. Blue tubing is the cold water and should enter the bottom of a tank type water heater. There should be an isolation valve in the line. Just before the isolation valve will be a tee with a blue line going up to red line tee at the top of the tank The line connecting the blue and reb lines will also have an isolation valve. Finally at the top of the tank will be a an isolation valve as the red pex comes out of the tank.

Normal flow is both valves at the top and bottom of the tank open and the valve between the tees closed. For winterizing or isolating the tank, the valve connecting the tees should be open allowing the water to bypass the water heater and the isolation valves at the bottom and top of the tank closed ensuring no water can enter the water heater.
My fresh water tank drain is in the blue pex water supply line to the water pump just as the line exits the tank.
This is for all 2016 plant 750 coaches. Things change when Thor put the fresh water under the bed and used a thankless water heater. My PDI covered winterzation of the coach since I bought it in January. It is also in the water instructions.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote