Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.3
State: Illinois
THOR #3491
questions about my new ACE 29.3

So, I purchased a 2016 ACE 29.3 this week, our first RV, and I am quite excited. I am not picking it up until the weather clears, but I have a couple questions that occurred to me AFTER I left the dealer, and thought I would ask someone with a unit that would know.

1) Are the Maxxair fans exhaust only, or are they the plus model that has intake as well?

2) Will that battery compartment accommodate 4 6V golf cart AGM batteries if I decided to go that route, because it looked kind of small?

3) How many stabilizer jack pads are a good amount to carry?

And I have a couple generic questions:

4) What do you use to safely clean an RV toilet? (not the black tank)

5) Is there a link to a post with advice on length of hoses, cords, etc. so I have a good idea of starter lengths? Or does someone just want to share that? (I am sure it is a common newbie question- but I want to be prepared)

Thanks!
-Cindy

Old 02-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #2

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Cindy -- I'll start with the MaxxAir question. The MaxxAir on my Vegas are multi-speed exhaust only. I'd be surprised if Thor used a different fan on the Ace.

Hoses/cords: I have two 10' sewer hose lengths and in camping at 8 campgrounds thus far I have yet to use the second hose. I have a 50' white water hose for the shore fitting and I have never uncoiled more that 6 coils of the hose. Have a 50' cable TV cable (way more than enough). I carry a 50' garden hose and sprayer for cleaning up around the camp site. And I have a 50" orange three-prong extension cord. The standard shore power cable has also been plenty long (not sure about its length).

Cleaning the toilet -- I use Dawn dish detergent and Lysol spray. But we have yet to put any solids in the toilet with the exception of toilet paper. We use the campground toilets when we have to take care of solids. Use Walex Bio-Pac (little green packets) in the black tank after every tank emptying (1 packet). It helps break up toilet paper and any solids, lubricates valves, deodorizes, and contains enzymes and micro-organisms to keep tank clean.

Stabilizer Jacks -- I would think 4 (one in each corner) should be sufficient. Most improved sites are fairly level and you may just need the yellow Lego blocks under the wheels to minor adjust level. The stabilizer jacks would put tension on the frame to keep the coach from bouncing around when some one walks, drys themself after showering, etc.

Battery size -- the compartment may be too small for 4 6-volt; however, it should accommodate 2 12-volt.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 PM   #3

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Ohio
THOR #989
Needed items.

Hi Cindy,
Several items we don't leave home without are a pressure regulator for your fresh water, and a "Surge Protector" for the electric hook-up.
If it isn't too late, I would insist that the dealer have the front end aligned. At the very least have them check the tire pressure to be sure it is set to the pressure shown on the tag in MH. The tag is usually on the wall next to the driver, right below the window.Safe travels.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #4

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Oregon
THOR #2824
During your first use, be prepared to make a list of things that don't work to your satisfaction. My coach is the same as yours but has a different feature - bedroom slide perhaps. My warranty repair list included the AC power for the water heater not working (broken wire) and a small leak under the kitchen sink because the connections weren't tight enough. There are others who've had more problems - just be prepared......but ENJOY!!
Old 02-11-2016, 09:35 PM   #5

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
State: Florida
THOR #2812
#4 These help reduce the cleaning. Happy Bowl

Old 02-11-2016, 10:01 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.3
State: Illinois
THOR #3491
thanks!

Thank you everyone for the great advice. After reading the post, I went and ordered some of those happy bowl liners.

I have a question about the water regulators- there are many versions, that are clearly not created equal. What type do I need?

The surge protection products I am seeing look like they more test the line than provide ongoing protection. Am I looking at the wrong types of product? Can someone send me a link for something appropriate, so I understand the product that I need?

One more question- with so many water supply issues, I am thinking a whole unit water filter is another must have. What is the difference between like the Camco Taste Pure and EVO systems? Is there an alternate product better than both?

And what's the difference between using 5/8" versus 1/2" hoses?
Old 02-12-2016, 01:28 AM   #7

Model: 2016 Siesta Sprinter 24ST
THOR #2812
Surge protectors are probably a necessary item. I have used both TRC units and Progressive Industries and they both are reliable. Electrical spikes, high or low voltage can damage electronic equipment, motors or air conditioners. Several times they have interrupted power due to low volts or fluctuation.
They also delay restoring power for +- 3 minutes to prevent overloading the AC compressor. Also provide some protection from a nearby lightning strike. (nothing protects from a direct hit)
I presently have the Progressive LCHW30 unit in my Siesta. I have always used the hardwired models. This chart shows some of the functions.
Progressive Industries RV Surge and Electrical Protection industry lea

a 5/8 hose will carry more water and most RV showers are fairly anemic to start with.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysteve View Post
...One more question- with so many water supply issues, I am thinking a whole unit water filter is another must have. What is the difference between like the Camco Taste Pure and EVO systems? Is there an alternate product better than both?...
You are right to be concerned. In 2012 the EPA filed a suit against an RV Park in Helena Montana for knowingly supplying contaminated water to campers.

The primary difference is in the types of and size of particles that will be filtered out of the water. The EVO type filter elements generally have a 5 micron rating while the smaller inline filters will have a screen that is rated at around 100 microns and then use charcoal for additional filtration.

Here are a link to info on RV Water Safety for your reading enjoyment

How Fresh Is Your RV Fresh Water System? - RV Information (RV Maintenance)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #9
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
For the items I can comment on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindysteve View Post
I have a question about the water regulators- there are many versions, that are clearly not created equal. What type do I need?
There are fixed and adjustable regulators... And high or standard pressure.
All newer rigs should be fine with the higher pressure variant. Whether you want adjustable - or a built in gauge - is up to you and affects the price.
They don't last forever... I always carry a spare just in case (typical symptom is very low water pressure).
Some Links:
Hi Flow Water Regulator - Lead Free - Valterra A01-1122VP - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World
Adjustable Water Regulator - Lead Free - Valterra A01-1117VP - Faucets & Inlets - Camping World

Quote:
The surge protection products I am seeing look like they more test the line than provide ongoing protection. Am I looking at the wrong types of product? Can someone send me a link for something appropriate, so I understand the product that I need?
Some info already provided below by Hooligan2... Again 2 options - hardwired or plug in.. I use the plug in version of SurgeGard. Regardless of brand they are in 30A or 50A versions - and can be hardwired or portable. Firmly believe this has already saved me much more than the cost by identifying a wiring issue in a campground supply resulting in low voltage under load...

Quote:
And what's the difference between using 5/8" versus 1/2" hoses?
Water flow and pressure... I would recommend the 5/8 as RVs are typically water pressure/volume challenged... No need to restrict it further...