Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2022, 03:15 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: North Carolina
THOR #16745
Vegas chassis batteries

Where do you find what type of batteries are in your coach? Our batteries need to be changed but we can't find the size and amps of the chassis batteries. Our rig is a 2020 27.7 Vegas and we can't find this info anywhere. We've looked online and in the "manual", even tried to call Thor but the numbers we have are no longer in service. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks, April

Old 11-10-2022, 03:19 PM   #2

Model: ACE 29G
State: Florida
THOR #28393
Thor is 877 855 2867 hit prompt for tech support.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:49 PM   #3
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
It's a single chassis battery. Did you look at it? You may need a mirror. Probably a standard Group 29, maybe a Group 24. Plenty of threads here full of information on people changing their Axis/Vegas chassis battery.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 04:09 PM   #4

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Thor won’t know as it is a Ford item.

Go to Advance Auto Parts and enter Ford 2020 E350 or E450 (depends on which Vegas model) for the vehicle and battery for the item and it will give you dozens of choices.

David
Old 11-10-2022, 05:39 PM   #5

THOR #16745
Thanks David! I sometimes hesitate asking questions on here because there always seems to be a few smart Alex's with sarcastic "answers". I'm asking for help because I don't know or can't find it. We always search for and on every way we can think of but sometimes you can just blackout and asking others can trigger something you didn't think of. We are about to take a cross country trip and when he checked the batteries there is a smell and he put fluid in it and one is bubbling and something is not right. He just went over to Advance Auto and the guy said if it's drivable to bring it over and they will check it out for him and test them and help replace if needed. Our tester says to replace so we will see. Thanks again
Old 11-10-2022, 11:31 PM   #6

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
Bring your questions here and ignore the smart a$$ answers.

Good idea to take it to the auto parts store. With our 2016 Vegas, I had to cut out the plywood panel under the flip desk to access the battery. Many threads here on that and a good explanation in Ed Felker's excellent crowd-sourced manual for Vegas and Axis. Find it as a sticky under Tech Topics here.
Old 11-11-2022, 12:54 AM   #7

THOR #16745
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
It's a single chassis battery. Did you look at it? You may need a mirror. Probably a standard Group 29, maybe a Group 24. Plenty of threads here full of information on people changing their Axis/Vegas chassis battery.
Thanks so much for that info. I don't get on here often so sometimes trying to find something gets a little irritating but I do try to search. I will find the thread you told me about and save it some kind of way. I appreciate your response. Have a Wonderful evening!!
Old 11-11-2022, 01:28 AM   #8

Model: ACE 30.3
State: Iowa
THOR #28145
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAWeems View Post
Where do you find what type of batteries are in your coach? Our batteries need to be changed but we can't find the size and amps of the chassis batteries. Our rig is a 2020 27.7 Vegas and we can't find this info anywhere. We've looked online and in the "manual", even tried to call Thor but the numbers we have are no longer in service. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks, April
The short answer is that you do not need to know that. However, the battery will have a label identifying the group size of the battery. This can be confusing unless you want to become a battery geek. All the same rules for automotive batteries apply to the RV chassis battery. So, if you are up to remove the battery yourself remove it and put it into the trunk of your toad and drive over to a battery store. I would avoid Walmart for now, once you know the specs of your battery then it is ok to go to Walmart. I use Interstate Battery. They will be able to identify the group size for you and provide options. If you are not up to removing and installing the battery yourself and can drive the RV to them, Interstate Battery will even replace the battery for you for a small fee or free (I do not remember which.) As for the battery itself they are available in various duribility ratings from 24 month to 60 month. As this implies the 24 month battery, will last at least 24 months while a 60 month battery will last at least 60 months. Which you get is up to how much you are willing to pay I personally get the 60 month battery but I recommend you get at least a 36 month Battery.

Former 1996 28' Tiffin Allegro owner
Dan-sr@perra-us.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:19 AM   #9

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I would have the House batteries checked as well.

It is likely the Dealer did not take very good care of your batteries while on the lot. A chassis battery should get more than 2 years (maybe 3 years old)

Also, I would consider getting maintenance free if it is option for Chassis and at least AGM if house batteries are needed.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 03:15 AM   #10

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I would have the House batteries checked as well.

It is likely the Dealer did not take very good care of your batteries while on the lot. A chassis battery should get more than 2 years (maybe 3 years old)

Also, I would consider getting maintenance free if it is option for Chassis and at least AGM if house batteries are needed.
Question if I ever need..
Can one use AGM as chassis battery?
If not get maintenance free?
Old 11-11-2022, 04:59 AM   #11

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
State: Indiana
THOR #14698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Yes Scuba you can use an AGM battery for your chassis.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:27 AM   #12

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
Yes sir and Yes.

My XT5 came with AGM Battery.

My OEM Chassis battery is now 3 years use / 4 years old. Never a lick of trouble with it. It never corrodes and I never have added any water and I never will. When it dies or starts to go bad I will replace. If it died today; I will replace with a AGM, if it makes it to 5 years old ( like all my cars), I will a vMax tank as an option; but likely simply get the wal mart FLA maintenance free / equivalent as a replacement that is under warranty and call it a day. I will install myself.

My point or question to OP was that it is odd that their Chassis battery has gone so soon ( 2 years use / 3 years old) and BEFORE the house batteries? The battery should have some kind of warranty? There is likely some special cause that we will never know if they have boiling water and needing to add water due to normal usage, they may have defective charger? I would NOT buy a battery knowing that I have to add water if that makes sense. Don't care about any system to add water, I have enough to worry about keeping my RV up.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:25 PM   #13

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Yes sir and Yes.

My XT5 came with AGM Battery.

My OEM Chassis battery is now 3 years use / 4 years old. Never a lick of trouble with it. It never corrodes and I never have added any water and I never will. When it dies or starts to go bad I will replace. If it died today; I will replace with a AGM, if it makes it to 5 years old ( like all my cars), I will a vMax tank as an option; but likely simply get the wal mart FLA maintenance free / equivalent as a replacement that is under warranty and call it a day. I will install myself.

My point or question to OP was that it is odd that their Chassis battery has gone so soon ( 2 years use / 3 years old) and BEFORE the house batteries? The battery should have some kind of warranty? There is likely some special cause that we will never know if they have boiling water and needing to add water due to normal usage, they may have defective charger? I would NOT buy a battery knowing that I have to add water if that makes sense. Don't care about any system to add water, I have enough to worry about keeping my RV up.
Perfect thxb
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, chassis batteries, vegas 27.7 chassis