Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Kentucky
THOR #1020
Squeaky Floor

We use our Challenger 37TB a great deal. Had some issues but they've always been repaired.

After a coast to coast road trip with grandkids, we developed a squeak in the flooring. A very small area in the front of our bunk slide out. Our service department, that has always been solid, said that because of the location it would be a best difficult for him to repair. I wanted to take it to the factory service for a couple of other issues and I just added this to the list. Presently we are scheduled in mid Spring 2016.

Any ideas on the floor squeak? Any thing I ought to have the factory service look for?

Thanks. Ben and Maria

PS: I also posted this over at IRV2

Old 12-15-2015, 05:48 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37tb
State: California
THOR #2678
Hi Ben,

Are you sure its coming from your floor? I ask because I too had a squeak and found it was coming from the wood column that frames the slide out. When the slide out is retracted it was rubbing against the refrigerator wall therefore wood against wood made an annoying knocking sound. I filed down the biggest portion of the little crown located at the top of column that was hitting the refrigerator wall and also i put a piece of self stick felt on another portion and it eliminated the knocking or squeak while driving down the road. I happened to have my rv in front of my home before heading back to storage which is the challenger 37tb 2016 so I can take a pic if you think this is your issue? I also looked under the bunks and found one of the rollers that sit on a block that is supposed to be screwed to the floor just sitting with a 2 of the 4 screws only into the floor about 1/8 of an inch. Thats another topic but check it out.
Old 12-16-2015, 01:46 AM   #3

THOR #1020
rving2015 - thanks for the input. I'll check it. Mine squeaks in the same spot when you walk over it - whether the slide is in or out. Heading to Key West in 2 weeks but not a my coach right now. Like I said - I'll check it.

BTW - how do you like the 2016 37TB? We REALLY like (bordering on love) our 2015 37TB. How many miles have you got on yours? One of the strongest feature of ours is the way it handles on the road. We stepped up from a Georgetown 351 - huge difference.

Also, do you have the 6 speed?

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-16-2015, 04:59 AM   #4

THOR #2678
Ah, then you're probably right. I just thought i would throw it out there. Don't forget to look under your bunks to make sure the blocks that have rollers are screwed in.

Loving the 2016. We just hit 6,000 miles and only had it since father's day. It doesn't have the 6 speed as I believe from a forum somewhere it's coming in the 2016. Maybe it will be in the 2017 challenger.

IIke to chat more with you later to share items I have found so far being you have the same coach.

Raymond
Old 12-16-2015, 05:52 AM   #5

THOR #2678
Roller under bunk slide out not screwed in...

Hi Ben ,

Here is that pic I said I would put on the forum. This shows the block that wasn't screwed into floor as I happened to find while vacuuming. Yikes...

Raymond
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151117_102527_resized.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	1172  
Old 12-16-2015, 09:20 PM   #6

THOR #1020
Wow - I'll look for it but wow!!
Old 12-16-2015, 09:23 PM   #7

THOR #1020
Raymond - yep. I'd enjoy the information exchange. Our coach will be a one year old April 17, 2016. Presently we have about 14,000 miles. This winter we will probably log another 6000-7000 miles - we are headed for Key West and back up and along the Gulf Coast. Gotta get out of the snow.

Ben
Old 12-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #8

THOR #2678
rubber seal below bunkhouse

Very nice...

Something minor being it's below the bunkhouse, but something that needs attention as my rv is only 6 months new. This is the rubber seal under the bunkhouse. I just dropped it off at storage and they are also Thor authorized repair. You may want to check yours out. It's cracked down the middle going horizontal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber seal under bunkhouse (Custom).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	1174   Click image for larger version

Name:	rubber seal under bunkhouse-2 (Custom).jpg
Views:	113
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1175  

Old 12-17-2015, 01:43 AM   #9

THOR #1020
Thanks Raymond - I will check it. Have you developed the infamous slide slapping noise? I had it on the dinette/sofa slide. Took my service team and Thor some time to figure it out but the sure did.

Had a internal leak in the leveler hydraulic pump - replaced the whole pump - fixed.

Worst we had - a fixed driver window blew out. Never have been sure what happened but Thor quality and my service department again made it right.

Had some problems with latches - dealer installed J latches and fixed it. Worst of these was the pantry.

Overall - we are over the top happy with our unit.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:26 AM   #10

THOR #2678
Hi Ben,

No, we haven't had any issue with the slide slapping noise, but I have read most of your issues you have placed on the forum and listening for anything to arise from the rough highways of California. Overall we are extremely happy even though we have had many little things so far. It is a home on wheels so you can't be surprised when things get loose.

I did learn another thing this weekend while rv'ing in case you ever experience or you may have already. We heard birds dropping acorns or something off the tree limbs above our rv. The next morning...around 6am or so with temps hovering 32 degrees. Dew obviously formed and began to drip off the side. Typically it's more towards the front or throughout the side on driver side. This time it was right above the furnance and perfectly inline with drops of water over the exhaust and louver or grill. What caught my attention being the furnace is as close as it is to our bedroom is the sound when it fires up. Well it ran through the night without an issue it began early morning with the blower on and trying to crank over to the next stage as if its trying to fire up.. Long story short...I shut it down, checked the propane and all good. We left from the resort and driving a 2.5 drive in the rain i was thinking...was it the drips coming off the roof and splattering water into the furnance just right to keep it from firng up? Well the next morning i decided to check it out and turn the thermostat on and it worked fine. So, if you ever have that issue you may want to see if water is dripping into the grill. Crazy...but all good. Just part of rv'ing.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:33 AM   #11

THOR #1020
Raymond - thanks. I'll listen for it. Have you tried using your fireplace heater? We do constantly when we are hooked up to 50 amps. Also, I bought a small space heater at Wally World (Walmart) for $10. Between the two heaters, the furnace rarely kicks on.

Folks that buy one of these moving homes on wheels and don't expect things to come loose need to stay in one place. I have a fairly good sized tool kit that I use to keep things tightened up.

We enjoy our motorhome because it helps us keep in touch with our grand kids.

Stay in touch as I will

Thanks again Raymond for you finds.
Old 12-17-2015, 02:42 AM   #12

THOR #2678
Hi Ben,

Yes, we love the fireplace. We haven't used it while sleeping and didn't think of a space heater but after condensation build up on the windshield this weekend made me read up on condensation, space heaters and dehumidifiers as we get cold easily here in California and like heat. Haha...

Raymond Chavez
Old 12-17-2015, 12:25 PM   #13

THOR #1020
With the cost of a tank of LP at about $75, a $10 electric heater with thermostat control is a great investment. Also, I put in dampered air vent covers.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Ben

You mentioned a problem with the pantry drawer. I had that as well and installed a 10 pound J latch. My question is if you have figured out how to release the lower slide on the pantry drawer so it can come out.

My coach goes into the dealer for its one and only warranty visit in January and if I don't figure that slide out by then I plan to have them show me how that slide is unlocked. I would like to remove the drawer and install a couple of heavier slides on the top and maybe a second J latch on the non open side of the panty.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #15

THOR #1020
Raymond - too funny. No I cannot tell you how. Please let me know when you get the answer. The reason this is funny - about 3 weeks about ago some items from the bottom shelf fell out and ended up behind the slide out. Could not get the darn thing closed. Had to fish the items out with a small handle then my wife's smaller hands.

So yep - it can be a problem.
Old 12-17-2015, 04:47 PM   #16

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
With the cost of a tank of LP at about $75, a $10 electric heater with thermostat control is a great investment. Also, I put in dampered air vent covers.
Not if you're a fulltimer and get charged separately for electricity.

Running a 1500 Watt heater on chilly nights for a month, costs about $150, (thank you Southern California Edison).

A full tank of propane lasts about 6 weeks, cost $70 to refill around here.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:09 PM   #17

THOR #1020
We are about 3/4 timers - thus 14,000 miles and lots of campgrounds in the last year. Are you full timing in your rig? I'd love to do it but my DW stays tied to home.