Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Alabama
THOR #5260
Vegas Headlights don't shine very far out

we have a 2016 24.1 Vegas. It seems like the headlights do not shine out far enough for comfort while driving at night. We are guessing about 30-35 ft. It also casts a L shaped shadow at the farthest distance away. I'm assuming that's from the way the headlights are placed in line with the grill. When we turn on the brights it shines out far and we are happy with the brights. Is this normal for the Vegas? If not, does anyone have directions on how to adjust the lights?

Old 01-15-2017, 11:43 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
There are adjustment screws on the back side of the lights for up/down and side to side.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:42 AM   #3

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: Kentucky
THOR #6005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekrobinett View Post
we have a 2016 24.1 Vegas. It seems like the headlights do not shine out far enough for comfort while driving at night. We are guessing about 30-35 ft. It also casts a L shaped shadow at the farthest distance away. I'm assuming that's from the way the headlights are placed in line with the grill. When we turn on the brights it shines out far and we are happy with the brights. Is this normal for the Vegas? If not, does anyone have directions on how to adjust the lights?
You described the lighting on my 2016 Vegas 25.3 exactly.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:12 AM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #5374
The lighting on my 2016 Vegas 24.1 is poor as well. Don't think it's adjustment there's just not enough light output .
Old 01-19-2017, 02:22 PM   #5

Model: Thor Tuscany 36 MQ
THOR #6280
You can easily replace the bulbs with much brighter ones at a good price available on Amazon. Street legal and way way brighter you'll love them but some people will think you have your brights on when you don't. You mentioned the L shaped shadow? That might be by design to avoid direct light into the face of oncoming cars. I have a E350 Mercedes and a Lincoln and both have that built into the headlights as a safety feature.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	3754  
Old 01-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #6

THOR #5374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
You can easily replace the bulbs with much brighter ones at a good price available on Amazon. Street legal and way way brighter you'll love them but some people will think you have your brights on when you don't. You mentioned the L shaped shadow? That might be by design to avoid direct light into the face of oncoming cars. I have a E350 Mercedes and a Lincoln and both have that built into the headlights as a safety feature.
Vegas uses 65 watt H9 bulbs in the low and high beam locations (4 separate single filament bulbs ) so the H4's pictured won't work.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:18 PM   #7

THOR #6280
Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Vegas uses 65 watt H9 bulbs in the low and high beam locations (4 separate single filament bulbs ) so the H4's pictured won't work.
If you look on Amazon you will find they make these high intensity in all the H series you need to select from the drop down the ones you need. Also many retailers sell them in all the applications for many different vehicle applications. You just need to see what you need and order or buy the correct fit.
Old 01-22-2017, 07:37 PM   #8

THOR #5374
Yes I saw that there are several different H9 bulbs available , to many in fact !
I'm going to have to sit down and do some research .
Old 02-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #9

Model: Vegas 24.1 - Sold it!
State: Tennessee
THOR #6513
Re poor headlights

I just purchased a Vegas several months back and had the same problem. As it turned out the right side high beam lamp was not latched into its housing. I removed it and reattached and that corrected the problem. Headlights are now very good.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:38 AM   #10
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Yes I saw that there are several different H9 bulbs available , to many in fact !
I'm going to have to sit down and do some research .
Be sure to let us know what you decide.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:45 AM   #11

THOR #5374
Kev,
I've decided to leave it be for now . Seems that it can be a slippery slope putting higher output bulbs in there.
The Vegas light housings are quite small and I worry that increases output will also mean increased heat.
Another consideration is increased draw by the higher output bulbs stressing the headlight switch.
So not wanting to risk bulb failure from overheating or switch failure from heavier draw I will leave well enough alone for the time being.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:40 PM   #12

THOR #6280
HID Bulbs

Quote:
Kev,
I've decided to leave it be for now . Seems that it can be a slippery slope putting higher output bulbs in there.
The Vegas light housings are quite small and I worry that increases output will also mean increased heat.
Another consideration is increased draw by the higher output bulbs stressing the headlight switch.
So not wanting to risk bulb failure from overheating or switch failure from heavier draw I will leave well enough alone for the time being.
Yes time for some research. Turns out HID (high intensity discharge) bulbs actually use less power than your stock halogen bulbs while producing way more light. Rather than arc with a giant set of filaments like halogen bulbs they actually use a smaller filament suspended in gas like the old mercury vapor lamps used to do but much more efficient. The small internal arc creates a plasma cloud via the internal gasses producing tremendous lumens. Then of course there are other options like a set of extra lights installed under the front bumper, better glasses for night driving or simply not driving at night at all. If your like me you like to drive at night so that's not really an option. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers
Then of course there are other options like a set of extra lights installed under the front bumper, better glasses for night driving or simply not driving at night at all.
There is no room for extra lights under the front bumper on an Axis/Vegas unit--very little ground clearance there.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:15 PM   #14

Model: Windsport 31S
THOR #4443
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLovers View Post
Yes time for some research. Turns out HID (high intensity discharge) bulbs actually use less power than your stock halogen bulbs while producing way more light. Rather than arc with a giant set of filaments like halogen bulbs they actually use a smaller filament suspended in gas like the old mercury vapor lamps used to do but much more efficient. The small internal arc creates a plasma cloud via the internal gasses producing tremendous lumens. Then of course there are other options like a set of extra lights installed under the front bumper, better glasses for night driving or simply not driving at night at all. If your like me you like to drive at night so that's not really an option. Good luck.
HID and Halogen lights are old technology. They get hot and are not efficient. LED's are the way to go. Just mount on the front and tie into existing headlight circuit. Also many different configurations to suit your lighting needs.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:19 PM   #15
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Kev,
I understand makes sense. Not a big issue for me anyway. I have never driven the coach at night. Not that I wont drive at night its just all our trips so far have been done during daylight hours.
Kev

Kev
Old 02-15-2017, 04:23 PM   #16

THOR #5374
Not a big deal really , I love to tinker and the lighting is an area that could use improvement.
I think the smarter thing to do is modify our travel style ,run during daylight and relax after dark.
We used to make our trips from North Carolina to Connecticut a one day event . It has dawned on me that we are driving our vacation home so we should vacation. There is no hurry and we don't have jobs to get home to so from now on it's shorter days.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #17

Model: HAD Vegas 24.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #9657
LED Replacements for 2017 Vegas 24.1?

I've taken the info in a couple of threads on here re: unsafe/ineffective low beam headlights and done a lot of research so I can order my own LED conversion kit and hopefully talk dealer into putting new low beams in when I take it in next week. When I asked what was in there now, the dealer emailed me, in response, saying "It looks like the bulbs are H13." I suppose the "it looks like" still leaves me uncertain.

Yet even if they ARE H13, I read stuff about projection vs reflector, etc. and the need to get specific LED Conversion kits for each one.

I can do a lot, but I'm not super mechanically inclined (you guys will say it's cause I'm female haha - and that's not the case. I can do lots of 'so called' man things haha.)

Can anyone PLEASE guide me to exactly what to buy that will work to do a 'plug and go' conversion from Halogen to LED my 2017 Vegas 24.1?

Thanks!!!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #18

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
I just purchased a Vegas several months back and had the same problem. As it turned out the right side high beam lamp was not latched into its housing. I removed it and reattached and that corrected the problem. Headlights are now very good.
Mine has come out 2 times now. Somthing wrong there. Possibly not enough slack in wiring harness?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:22 PM   #19

Model: HAD Vegas 24.1
State: South Dakota
THOR #9657
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDS View Post
Mine has come out 2 times now. Somthing wrong there. Possibly not enough slack in wiring harness?
Thanks Joe. I actually had it to the dealer for this issue and they went in and adjusted the low beams, so if that were the case they would have found it. I want to walk in there with new LED headlights in hand as I tend to agree with those who have said there's just not enough output. I, too, have that big shadow (of the RV) in front of me and the light does not project far enough out to even be safe on the road. My high beams work fabulously - though they cause oncoming driver's to blink me to turn them off (which I don't blame them.) So I'm looking to change to LED's. THX for your input!!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #20

THOR #6513
Quote:
Originally Posted by dPad2 View Post
I've taken the info in a couple of threads on here re: unsafe/ineffective low beam headlights and done a lot of research so I can order my own LED conversion kit and hopefully talk dealer into putting new low beams in when I take it in next week. When I asked what was in there now, the dealer emailed me, in response, saying "It looks like the bulbs are H13." I suppose the "it looks like" still leaves me uncertain.

Yet even if they ARE H13, I read stuff about projection vs reflector, etc. and the need to get specific LED Conversion kits for each one.

I can do a lot, but I'm not super mechanically inclined (you guys will say it's cause I'm female haha - and that's not the case. I can do lots of 'so called' man things haha.)

Can anyone PLEASE guide me to exactly what to buy that will work to do a 'plug and go' conversion from Halogen to LED my 2017 Vegas 24.1?

Thanks!!!
Here is a stock conversion kit for H13 to LED from Walmart for about $35. Easy to return if it doesn't work. Its wet right now IE raining, or I would go outside and unplug my lamp. Its stamped on the bulb usually.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Biltek-LE...&wl13=&veh=sem

If this link doesn't work just google "H13 lamp conversion to LED" and it will give you a bunch of options. Same thing on Amazon. Good luck and I'm sure you can do it!!