Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Brands and Products > Thor Motor Coach | Class A, Class B+ & Class C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Arkansas
Posts: 433
THOR #8012
Vegas pre/post delivery upgrade/purchase/check list

Based on all the reading I've done, I'm compiling a list of upgrades/purchases/checks I plan to perform before, during and after delivery.

It also includes my plan for how I will attempt to find as many issues as possible (how to get them resolved is a whole different story) before I take any long/meaningful trips.

I would appreciate input on the list, and also hope that it will be useful for others that are taking the same journey. I'll update the list as I add additional items, and as I complete them (after I take delivery of the coach in the next month or two). Since I don't think this forum allows editing your own posts, I'll post new items in separate posts and periodically repost the full list.

1. Install a 30/50 Amp RV shore power connector at home prior to taking delivery

2. Purchase Circuit checker/surge protector to use when connecting to RV camp shore power (is there inline surge protectors to use early on and then eventually install a hardwired one???).

3. PDI based on Edís list and issues discussed in threads here (Iím starting to compile list of additions based on issues people have had that are not in Edís list).

4. In motion DirecTV antenna (likely installed by dealer or someone dealer arranges and checked during PDI)

5. Spend minimum two nights on the orientation/delivery pad at dealership having any post PDI issues addressed while still there.

6. Sealtech Leak check (am going to try and get one at MHSRV, but regardless will get a second at a semi local dealer as soon as I can get an appointment). I can roll with most punches, but water intrusion is my biggest concern.

7. One or more simulated camping trips while connected to home shore power

8. Multiple short, close to home shakedown cruises. A night or two, 30-60 minutes from home. Primary purpose is identifying problems and will be prepared to pack up and head home if any big issues arise (except for undrivable coach of course).

9. Garmin dash mount RV GPS

10. Remove mattress over cab Ė store items such as pet fencing (two standard poodles)

11. Need Sirius radio, but havenít researched best option as I donít think Vegas radio has it built in.

12. Whole coach (ideally) water filter

13. Gel/memory foam mattress topper (ideally something that is very cool for the wife).

14. Install AGS Ė still researching brands/options. I want one that when put in auto mode will come on when shore power goes out, and go back off when shore power returns (operating like a home/business transfer switch). Ideally, it would also come un if not connected to shore power and batteries drop below a certain level.

15. Bigfoot Auto leveler (installed at factory Ė will also be considered short shakedown cruise)

16. Roadmaster steering and suspension enhancements (installed at factory Ė will also be considered short shakedown cruise). Still researching sway bars, Sumo springs, etc. So, havenít fully decided on only Roadmaster vs. other suspension upgrades.

17. Roadmaster invisbrake, baseplate and tow bar (Jeep Wrangler Ė probably installed at semi local dealer, but then hopefully checked by Roadmaster when I go up for other items Ė unless I opt for suspension upgrades other than Roadmaster)

18. RV School driving class (or another, if anyone will return my request for information)

19. After coach is loaded and had above mods done, I will get an alignment done (sooner if driving seems to be an issue Ė obvious alignment issues).

20. Footrest for wife in passenger seat (remember seeing a wooden one a member on here made, will look for that and do something similar)

21. Soundbar for front TV and possibly bedroom TV (based on what Iíve read, this is needed to easily hear over road noise and AC noise)

22. Oilless compressor small enough to carry, high enough PSI do deal with tires. Want ability to blow out lines on road if needed traveling from moderate to very cold areas.

23. Cell booster

24. Wifi booster

25. ATT/Verizon hotspot (possibly ZTE mobley and unlimited data, if it can be powered and run when RV engine is off Ė base power comes from OBD port)

26. Extra CO detector in bedroom area

27. Genturi (maybe)

28. Oxygenics or similar showerhead with on/off button inline (plus either sliding bar for shower head, or install a couple more of the stationary holders at different heights).

29. Spare wheel and tire (possibly carried in towed jeep and on trailer hitch mount when not towing jeep Ė will also do more reading on undercarriage mounts members on here have done)

30. TPMS/Tire temp system (have to research, no clue on options right now).

31. Pet camera Ė Canary, Piper NV or similar

32. Temp humidity monitor (separate of whatís built into Canary/Piper) that will notify on increase of either

33. Towel bar in bathroom (probably a double)

34. Aims (or other) inverter with built in transfer switch to power TVs and select outlets (need to map outlets to see if this can be done with the single output from the 1200 sine wave. I will choose between 1200 or greater based on physical size, as I would like to install it behind the power panel in the 25.3

35. Sanicon or similar macerator (not 100% sure I will do this, but leaning towards it)

36. Solar panels Ė 300 watt most likely (will not do until Iím clear of dealing with any leaks and major new coach issues and after I find an RV mechanic/installer I have confidence in).

37. AGM or Lithium batteries (not sure if Iíll do this before or after house batteries fail Ė room for a third, doesnít look like it, which is where Lithium could be a big upgrade)
__________________

__________________
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Mr Sunshine's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2016 Vegas 25.2
State: Florida
Posts: 2,169
THOR #1589
That's a long list! You are on the right track with pdi, staying at dealer's and some shakedown nights before a long trip.

IMHO, most folks don't use their RV enough or plan to own a rig long enough to justify all that you listed. But it's your coach and your money. This is the right place for experience with everything you listed. There is someone on this forum in favor of each single item.

You'll find the factory won't be installing any of those aftermarket items, the dealer will. Heads up, you won't get much of any of that back when you sell or trade.
__________________

__________________
Bad decisions make great stories!
Mr Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,747
THOR #1150
Wow, indeed that is a long list.

IMHO #18 (RV driving instructions) aren't that important if you've ever driven a full sized van. The Axis/Vegas units are small enough that it is pretty easy to figure out driving them.

#22: compressor to blow out lines? You really only need to do this for storage--if you're camping in the unit the heater is on and the lines are above freezing.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Arkansas
Posts: 433
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Wow, indeed that is a long list.

IMHO #18 (RV driving instructions) aren't that important if you've ever driven a full sized van. The Axis/Vegas units are small enough that it is pretty easy to figure out driving them.

#22: compressor to blow out lines? You really only need to do this for storage--if you're camping in the unit the heater is on and the lines are above freezing.
Won't do it all day one, but if we like the Vegas and think we will live with it for several years, then those are what I'm thinking I'll do.

I've driven fifteen passenger vans on occasion (E series and new transit based) and things like Yukon XL's at times, but this is a bit longer and I don't have any towing experience.
__________________
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:43 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Massachusetts
Posts: 7
THOR #8001
All I can say is a big Thank YOU for so diligently putting this list together. I'll be purchasing either a Vegas or Axis right after the start of 2018 when I hope to snag a good deal on a 2016 trade-in and/or lightly used coach.
I'm not mechanically inclined and need to get up to speed. I'm sure I will when the time comes but having a reference like this will certainly be invaluable so thanks again for taking the time to document everything you're doing.
Will be just me and my dog full timing for an open-ended amount to time. Retiring... Yea!
__________________
mckenzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:23 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,747
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Won't do it all day one, but if we like the Vegas and think we will live with it for several years, then those are what I'm thinking I'll do.

I've driven fifteen passenger vans on occasion (E series and new transit based) and things like Yukon XL's at times, but this is a bit longer and I don't have any towing experience.
Ah I see: The list just seemed to read "all at once". I'm sure I'm gradually approaching such a lengthy list if I were to detail everything I've done to our Axis in the 3+ years we've owned it.

The length of the Axis/Vegas units really isn't that noticeable once you start driving them. Granted a good class can alleviate any fears and may be worth it. When we picked up our Axis we didn't go to a class but we did watch the RV'ing 101 set of videos on youtube:
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Arkansas
Posts: 433
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Ah I see: The list just seemed to read "all at once". I'm sure I'm gradually approaching such a lengthy list if I were to detail everything I've done to our Axis in the 3+ years we've owned it.
I'll definitely check out the videos. Thanks. I'm not overly concerned and would be willing to hop in it and drive it home if I didn't get any instructions first. That said, especially when it comes to towing, and various tips that I assume an instructor will give, such as dealing with gas stations, when you screwed up and need to make a u turn, etc., I think I could benefit from some instruction.

On the list, the big ticket items I will do pretty much right away will be:

Sat dish (it's a biggie for the wife)

Bigfoot leveling will be once I get past knowing we won't be "there is no way we can spend more than a day in this tiny thing" or "this piece of crap has so many problems we need to just take a $30,000 loss and get rid of it. I've read all the threads about how easy it is to manually level, but I"m with the one guy I read on here that said, "the most physical exertion I want to do to level my coach is push a button."

AGS -- depending on delivery and how deep into fall will determine if this is right away or in the spring, but I need to have this for times (during hot months where fan won't cut it) I leave the dogs to run to a store, restaurant or whatever.

Towing setup.

I will probably also opt for either the Safe T bar or Roadmaster version fairly soon, as I see that as a safety item.

Sealtech, because as I mentioned, water is my biggest fear.

After those and granted some are fairly big ticket items, I would imaging the rest of the list will happen over a year or two, if we see the Vegas as a relatively long term option for us.

It's also worth noting that I'm saving more than that by buying out of town vs. buying from the one servicing dealer that I think would be viable. I of course will now have the headaches of getting warranty work done.

Some items, like the inverter, might come down to living with it a while and seeing if I really need it (some of you guys have pointed out alternatives or even just made me think about how often I really need house battery driven 110v). It also might come down to whether I'm comfortable doing it myself or find someone around here (non dealer) that I have faith in and possibly reasonable rates. For instance, I watch a couple youtube videos where a guy showed his aims 1200 pure sign installation (well, not installation itself, but where he installed it and such) and think I could probably knock off jobs like that. If so, talking about a $170 inverter and a little of my time.
__________________
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:09 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
Posts: 226
THOR #1067
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Based on all the reading I've done, I'm compiling a list of upgrades/purchases/checks I plan to perform before, during and after delivery.

It also includes my plan for how I will attempt to find as many issues as possible (how to get them resolved is a whole different story) before I take any long/meaningful trips.

I would appreciate input on the list, and also hope that it will be useful for others that are taking the same journey. I'll update the list as I add additional items, and as I complete them (after I take delivery of the coach in the next month or two). Since I don't think this forum allows editing your own posts, I'll post new items in separate posts and periodically repost the full list.

1. Install a 30/50 Amp RV shore power connector at home prior to taking delivery

2. Purchase Circuit checker/surge protector to use when connecting to RV camp shore power (is there inline surge protectors to use early on and then eventually install a hardwired one???).

3. PDI based on Edís list and issues discussed in threads here (Iím starting to compile list of additions based on issues people have had that are not in Edís list).

4. In motion DirecTV antenna (likely installed by dealer or someone dealer arranges and checked during PDI)

5. Spend minimum two nights on the orientation/delivery pad at dealership having any post PDI issues addressed while still there.

6. Sealtech Leak check (am going to try and get one at MHSRV, but regardless will get a second at a semi local dealer as soon as I can get an appointment). I can roll with most punches, but water intrusion is my biggest concern.

7. One or more simulated camping trips while connected to home shore power

8. Multiple short, close to home shakedown cruises. A night or two, 30-60 minutes from home. Primary purpose is identifying problems and will be prepared to pack up and head home if any big issues arise (except for undrivable coach of course).

9. Garmin dash mount RV GPS

10. Remove mattress over cab Ė store items such as pet fencing (two standard poodles)

11. Need Sirius radio, but havenít researched best option as I donít think Vegas radio has it built in.

12. Whole coach (ideally) water filter

13. Gel/memory foam mattress topper (ideally something that is very cool for the wife).

14. Install AGS Ė still researching brands/options. I want one that when put in auto mode will come on when shore power goes out, and go back off when shore power returns (operating like a home/business transfer switch). Ideally, it would also come un if not connected to shore power and batteries drop below a certain level.

15. Bigfoot Auto leveler (installed at factory Ė will also be considered short shakedown cruise)

16. Roadmaster steering and suspension enhancements (installed at factory Ė will also be considered short shakedown cruise). Still researching sway bars, Sumo springs, etc. So, havenít fully decided on only Roadmaster vs. other suspension upgrades.

17. Roadmaster invisbrake, baseplate and tow bar (Jeep Wrangler Ė probably installed at semi local dealer, but then hopefully checked by Roadmaster when I go up for other items Ė unless I opt for suspension upgrades other than Roadmaster)

18. RV School driving class (or another, if anyone will return my request for information)

19. After coach is loaded and had above mods done, I will get an alignment done (sooner if driving seems to be an issue Ė obvious alignment issues).

20. Footrest for wife in passenger seat (remember seeing a wooden one a member on here made, will look for that and do something similar)

21. Soundbar for front TV and possibly bedroom TV (based on what Iíve read, this is needed to easily hear over road noise and AC noise)

22. Oilless compressor small enough to carry, high enough PSI do deal with tires. Want ability to blow out lines on road if needed traveling from moderate to very cold areas.

23. Cell booster

24. Wifi booster

25. ATT/Verizon hotspot (possibly ZTE mobley and unlimited data, if it can be powered and run when RV engine is off Ė base power comes from OBD port)

26. Extra CO detector in bedroom area

27. Genturi (maybe)

28. Oxygenics or similar showerhead with on/off button inline (plus either sliding bar for shower head, or install a couple more of the stationary holders at different heights).

29. Spare wheel and tire (possibly carried in towed jeep and on trailer hitch mount when not towing jeep Ė will also do more reading on undercarriage mounts members on here have done)

30. TPMS/Tire temp system (have to research, no clue on options right now).

31. Pet camera Ė Canary, Piper NV or similar

32. Temp humidity monitor (separate of whatís built into Canary/Piper) that will notify on increase of either

33. Towel bar in bathroom (probably a double)

34. Aims (or other) inverter with built in transfer switch to power TVs and select outlets (need to map outlets to see if this can be done with the single output from the 1200 sine wave. I will choose between 1200 or greater based on physical size, as I would like to install it behind the power panel in the 25.3

35. Sanicon or similar macerator (not 100% sure I will do this, but leaning towards it)

36. Solar panels Ė 300 watt most likely (will not do until Iím clear of dealing with any leaks and major new coach issues and after I find an RV mechanic/installer I have confidence in).

37. AGM or Lithium batteries (not sure if Iíll do this before or after house batteries fail Ė room for a third, doesnít look like it, which is where Lithium could be a big upgrade)
By the time i got to 37 i have started to rethink the whole idea of buying one. Thanks.
__________________
Teeitup26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:36 AM   #9
gmc
Senior Member
 
gmc's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
Posts: 1,857
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
By the time i got to 37 i have started to rethink the whole idea of buying one. Thanks.
While it is a nice (and long) list of mods - doesn't mean everyone needs all that is on that list...
Use what applies to you and your needs.

2, 3, and 19 (surge suppressor, PDI, and alignment) would be the 'required' items in my mind for most of us... and staying at dealer for a night or two - and a couple of short trips to start are certainly good ideas...

The rest really depends on how you use your MH...
Don't let the long list deter you.
__________________
Greg
Not yet retired...
Florida (Michigan transplant)
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:35 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Arkansas
Posts: 433
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeitup26 View Post
By the time i got to 37 i have started to rethink the whole idea of buying one. Thanks.
The other coaches I was looking at had most of these things as standard or options. They were also going to be $25-45k more. Two things that the Vegas has that I have not found another coach have is a large shower (I won't use a campground shower, and I'm not a small guy) and a walk around bed.

Two things I've come to realize in knowing other people with RVs and researching it from quite some time:

1. RV quality sucks. Doesn't matter the brand or the price, you are going to have problems and have to except that if you want to own an RV.

2. Owning an RV is about compromises.

In my case, I'm buying a coach that's far less than I was originally planning to spend and it doesn't have many of the things I planned to get as factory standard or options (AGC, Inverter, auto levelers, in motion satelite, solar, etc.).

So, for me, the vase majority of this list isn't "musts" but "wants" as GMC indicates. The fact that the Vegas is far less than the Nexus or Phoenix Cruiser or some other coaches I had planned to get means I have some room on the "wants." Now, that comes with a cost, literally, and that is my add ons will not come back to me in a trade the way the higher base price of a coach with these items as standard would.

That's why some of these things I'll hold off on until the wife and I have lived with the Vegas long enough to be convinced it's a coach we will be happy with for a while. I wouldn't want to do most of these items only to trade it in on a new coach in 18-24 months.
__________________
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 02:47 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Arkansas
Posts: 433
THOR #8012
Ok, based on some more reading (including comments from posters), thinking and discussions with wife, a few alterations to the list above.

1. I think we will hold off on the in motion satelite. That is a big investment, considering I'm not sure how much we will watch TV and at home, we almost never watch live TV, nearly always watch the DVR unless it's breaking news or something. Instead, I'm going to experiment with a ZTE mobley for some streaming, and a SkyStream One streaming box, which not only will allow streaming, but I believe will let me download Amazon/Netflix (some)/Vudu content while at home and then watch on the road. In hindsight, it does seem crazy to put that money in up front until we know for sure the coach will be something we will like. So, as long as I have a way to distract the wife on long drives, then I'm good without Sat for a while (might change my mind if we are at a park on a Sunday and I can't watch my Broncos).

2. Thanks to 2 Trail Hiker's thread and video, I plan to do the Aims inverter install sooner than later. The one circuit he powered gets the two TVs and the four outlets around queen bed, which is what I need. Downside (mostly) is that it will also put the fridge on the inverter, so will need to be careful of that.

3. Also from 2 Trail's thread, along with comments and posts/threads from others, I'll install dynamat in the doghouse and likely engine compartment/firewall.

4. Leaning towards ordering a magne shade. I'm hoping I get some ETA on delivery, since that will be much more beneficial in July/August in Arkansas than mid-September on. If it looks like my delivery won't be until closer to Sept or later, than I'll probably hold off until the spring (again, confirming we think we will live with this coach for a while before making the investment).
__________________
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:12 AM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast
 
JamieGeek's Avatar
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 24.1
State: Michigan
Posts: 8,747
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator
2. Thanks to 2 Trail Hiker's thread and video, I plan to do the Aims inverter install sooner than later. The one circuit he powered gets the two TVs and the four outlets around queen bed, which is what I need. Downside (mostly) is that it will also put the fridge on the inverter, so will need to be careful of that.
Not really a downside as you can put the fridge on gas (the switch on the front is Gas or Auto). When on gas it uses 12V to power the controller board and LP for cooling and thus doesn't use nearly as much juice.. In this configuration it doesn't use much LP or 12V power--a lot less than it would if it was using 120V to run a heating element.
__________________
2014 Thor Axis 24.1
2018 Chevy Bolt
blog - https://spareelectrons.wordpress.com/
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 03:17 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: Arkansas
Posts: 433
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Not really a downside as you can put the fridge on gas (the switch on the front is Gas or Auto). When on gas it uses 12V to power the controller board and LP for cooling and thus doesn't use nearly as much juice.. In this configuration it doesn't use much LP or 12V power--a lot less than it would if it was using 120V to run a heating element.
Understood. The downside part is not being able to just leave it in auto mode. However, small price to pay for the fact putting an inverter on the one circuit will address most of my important inverter needs.
__________________

__________________
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
×