Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderdog View Post

....cut.... It all depends where you want to go and what you want to do.

Precisely. There is no right answer because it depends on so many variables.

I wouldn't want to travel in a 45-foot DP any more than most RVers would want to "camp" in a Class B.

It takes right tool for a given job.

Old 07-25-2017, 04:55 PM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3 Sold
State: Arkansas
THOR #8012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Precisely. There is no right answer because it depends on so many variables.

I wouldn't want to travel in a 45-foot DP any more than most RVers would want to "camp" in a Class B.

It takes right tool for a given job.
For us, it will be state parks with full hookups. Going up to Branson and staying at an RV park. Mostly long weekends, because taking long vacations hasn't been the cards for the last decade or two, and no reason to believe that will change, but still might take the odd longer trip.

Rather than having to Kennel the dogs (which is an ordeal, because only decent one is two hours away), we want to take them with us on most of the long weekend trips.

Dry camping, backwoods and the like isn't in the cards for us.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:08 PM   #23

Model: Hurricane 31K
State: Florida
THOR #3520
When we first started looking at class A's we were told that one should ideally start in something in the 28' to 32' range. We ended up with the 31K. Other than that factor, our first criteria was that it had to be large enough for we two to live in for up to 6 months and still love one another. So far it has worked. There are times on the road when I wish for something smaller on the outside and there are times when I wish for bigger on the inside. An extra foot of closet and a bigger refrigerator would both be pluses. Everything in an RV is a compromise but then most things in life are also compromises.
Nothing is perfect for everyone, just try to meet every ones minimum needs and a little extra.
Chuck Peck in CasaLoca under the redwoods this summer
Old 07-25-2017, 05:09 PM   #24

Model: Hurricane 34J
State: Michigan
THOR #6009
Our first Motorhome was a 32' American. We bought a 2016 Fourwinds 22E. Can't tell you how many U-turns I made with that thing in the year and 16,000 miles we had it. The Axis has 6,000 miles on it and for some reason I'm running over curbs all the time. If you think you might be happier with longer, I would start there.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:45 PM   #25

THOR #8012
Thanks guys. As I have a Vegas on order, and need to scramble to change if I'm going to, I'm hopping in the car to hit a Camping World (not where my order is) two hours away that has both a '17 Vegas 25.3 (so dinette not couch like the '18) and an ACE 30.3, so we can walk in both and get a good feel for the difference (which I think will be dramatic).

I kind of worked hard to convince myself that us and the dogs could live in the Vegas for a long weekend or even week, but have been having to work hard. Just thinking about where we would put beds (which are like 28" x 36" in size) has been a brain twister. Thinking one between the driver seats, build something to cover the steps, etc., but to be able to have two dogs stretched out and still get around the Vegas has started to become a recurring nightmare.

Might not be any relative size, but the cream one is about 26" tall at the shoulders. Can pretty much lay his chin on a kitchen counter.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #26

Model: '17 Hurricane 34F
State: Missouri
THOR #6040
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
From when we started looking to now, we reached the conclusion that we really don't want to break down camp to run to the store because we forgot toilet paper or decide to pickup food rather than cook. We started out looking for RVs that were small enough to do both, but then thought about that.

Do we really want to unhook water, electric, sewer and drive off and then struggle to find the outside spaces big enough to park?

We did that on our first trip, to Memphis, day trips to Graceland and the downtown Bass Pro Shop. Breaking camp, rough and narrow urban streets, etc.

Got home and the tow dolly went from something we were thinking about to priority #1.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:27 PM   #27

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Idaho
THOR #1944
I'll chime in here with my take ... length/size really doesn't matter much once you get past about 25' "or so" as limitations/restrictions are much the same from sub 30 to about 36' (at least around here). From a driving perspective I wouldn't choose based on lengths above 24' really as they all have to be driven and considered a big heavy rig. No, I'd choose based on use and desired space.

The Axis is the largest RV we've owned for more than a season and we really like it for what it is. However, if we get another rig, it will probably be 34-36' in length. Certainly we wouldn't be able to camp the same way we do today ... many time we probably shouldn't attempt camping in some of the spots we do ... LoL ... but as mentioned before ... each has their own purpose and fit.

Get the rig that works for what you want to do, where you want to go and the floor plan that works for you. Now is definitely the time to change your mind vs. after delivery!
Old 07-26-2017, 12:07 AM   #28
Kev

Model: Windsport
THOR #3918
Quote:
Ok, I have a Vegas on order, but am really afraid that it's too tight for the two of us and our two standard poodles and am wondering if I should jump to an ace 30.3 or Windsport 31s, which will have far more room with the living room slide.

I'm just not sure if the jump from 27' to 32' is too much for a first RV.

In either case I will tow a jeep. How much harder to handle is the extra 5' for a first time RVer?
I had a Vegas and we have a couple of dogs that are a lot smaller than your standard poodles. For a weekend it was fine but any longer than a weekend or if your stuck inside because of inclimate weather it gets very small. We just got a 2018 Windsport and couldn't be happier. The extra room is really nice and we should have bought the Windsport on day one.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:15 AM   #29

THOR #8012
Well, I think the ACE/Windsport size fits us much better. The ACE with the slide in was close to the size of the Vegas, which I could live with if it wasn't the for the dogs.

I'm going to work on changing my order from the Vegas to an ACE (possibly Windsport/Hurricane, but probably ACE).
Old 07-26-2017, 01:47 AM   #30

Model: EV030.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6208
I am a retired lady with two dogs and I have driven our Thor Ace 30.1 up and down the EAST coast -- NC to FL to Maine and out to New Orleans --- alone. I have never had a problem backing the rig into tight spaces. The backup camera and side cameras work perfect for me. I find it roomy with our two dogs. As a first time MH owner --- Some lessons I've have learned: Be sure your site is level before using the jacks, before and during each trip constantly check your back up lights and turn signal lights [I finally re-sealed the lens as it was not properly sealed to the rig, routinely, wash and wax rig twice a year and reseal all seams. Also had a problem with the under compartments separating from wall of rig --- Thor did fix after warranty. Buy the extended warranty. Find a good RV mechanic, not the local Ford dealer , they know nothing about these rigs......Use these forums to find answers to your issues. For entry level.... it is what it is. I'm looking to move up in quality.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:51 AM   #31

Model: EV030.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #6208
One more point.... if you are visiting National Parks, 30 feet is about the maximum length if you are staying in the National Park. I do not tow..... Use Enterprise at destinations.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:26 AM   #32

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
THOR #1589
After 30+ posts, it is clear that the choice of RV size is very personal, and can change over time. Some can be happy in a tiny house, and some demand a land yacht. This is why renting before purchase is so highly recommended. A week with a like sized rental RV can tell you a lot.

In our case we found the sacrifices in trading a 33 foot Class A for our Vegas 25.2 was right for us and the way we travel. If we had more than one medium dog, we would want a big front slide and more length and storage. In earlier phases, a travel trailer and later a 5th wheel were just right, until they weren't.

Both of the slides and the power steps were problematic on our last coach, after the first two years. Now we can get into places longer rigs can't, but maybe that's not important to you. We found needed less clothes, tools and stuff, that's more important to some.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:23 PM   #33

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Massachusetts
THOR #6999
Send a message via Skype™ to sage
Over a seven year period I went from a 32' Tiffin Bus to a 38' Tiffin Bay. In both cases I was towing a Geo Tracker (Suzuki). Then for 10 years I had nothing.

Last Fall I bought a 24' Tioga, six months later we moved up to a Vegas 25.2 in March.

The Tioga was too small. We travel with two cats and a Doxie and that's two cats too many.

The big Tiffins worked great when we were spending the winter in the coach. So that was my first filter last Fall, we're not going to be spending more than 3 or 4 weeks at a time in Vegas.

We considered living in the Vegas for an extended period but with the animals it just wouldn't work. We also thought about adding the CareFree Screen Room and that would make a big difference, but one of cats is an escape artist and we decided not to take that chance.

What we are going to do is buy a used 5er that will effectively be permanently placed. We'll have the Vegas for extended traveling and the car for day to day errands and shopping.

As a couple of people have said, everyone has different needs and different wants. No one solution is going to work for every application.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #34

THOR #8012
Thanks for all the thoughts/advice. My biggest concern as a first time owner (spent time in my sisters class C and the Tiffen 40' they've had for four or five years now) was whether I should shy away from going straight to a 31-32' coach. Especially considering I plan to tow.

The consensus I seem to be getting and have seen in threads where others have asked similar questions is that there isn't a significant difference in driving a 27' or 32' coach and I'm much better off getting the floor plan that is going to work for us and not be overly concerned about getting one 4-5' longer.

I know when I talked to my sister and brother in law last night about the decision to switch from Vegas to something a little bigger with living room slide, they were very happy. They had been with me when we toured the Vegas and they were pretty concerned about us and the dogs being in there.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:26 AM   #35

Model: Axis 25.2
State: Indiana
THOR #5936
Quote:
Ok, I have a Vegas on order, but am really afraid that it's too tight for the two of us and our two standard poodles and am wondering if I should jump to an ace 30.3 or Windsport 31s, which will have far more room with the living room slide.

I'm just not sure if the jump from 27' to 32' is too much for a first RV.

In either case I will tow a jeep. How much harder to handle is the extra 5' for a first time RVer?

I have a 2016 Axis 25.2 and I share that with my three furry babies.
90 Lbs Yellow Lab, 70lbs Mutt, 34lbs Frenchbull dog plenty of room!