Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2019, 03:59 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Michigan
THOR #13470
Thor Vegas 25.2 2018 Suspension Modification

I have a 2018 Thor Vegas 25.2. I just purchased it this past fall. In January/February we took it down to Florida, and while it was exactly what we wanted for camping, I was a little surprised at its handling. On the freeways you could really feel the trucks go by! I have been reading about things to do to "beef" up its handling. Not that mechanical, so haven't necessarily understood everything. Anyone out there with a Vegas, have you made any changes?

Old 05-16-2019, 05:25 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
First question: Did you have an alignment done? Before performing any other suspension upgrades you should have it aligned.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
yes, Alinement first.

So many diff mods.

I installed a HD sway bar up front and a track bar in the rear. This elimiated most of the semi truck push and pull and makes it a joy to drive on curvey roads.

I also install the Saftey Plus steering stabilizer. I love it. Make it easy to track straight - esp on windy days. Less steering wheel corrections needed.

Lots of write up on all of these mods. IMO they are well with the money if you like a good handling (and safe) RV.

Other have installed the Sumos (Little cheaper and easier to install compared to Sway bars). Some have installed everything.

Do some searching on this forum (and others) and let us know if you have any specific quieston.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #4

THOR #13470
Yes, I did have an alignment done. I'll look into your other suggestions. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:48 PM   #5

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #5313
All we have done to ours is added a Roadmaster stabilizer (alternative to Safety Plus) and set tire pressure based on real weight. Am going to add bigger sway bars but there is no real urgency.

I noticed once initial crown wore off front tires, it tracked much better. That happened at the 10,000 mile mark. We are now at 24,000 and unit handles fine. If I do not go to opposite edge of lane it will get pushed by semi's. Running as much gap as safe, virtually eliminates push. Cross winds seem to push everything.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
All I've done is: an alignment and sumo springs on the front. The sumo's stiffened it up a bit so that it doesn't lean as much in turns.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Texas
THOR #14960
I just purchased a 15’ Vegas. What is the model number for the sumo springs. Thanks
Old 05-19-2019, 05:23 AM   #8

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvilla257 View Post
I just purchased a 15’ Vegas. What is the model number for the sumo springs. Thanks
Here are the fronts...
SUMO Springs E350/450

The rear Sumo’s will depend on whether you have an E350 or E450.
Once determined, you’ll need to do a search
Old 05-20-2019, 01:15 AM   #9

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
All I've done is: an alignment and sumo springs on the front. The sumo's stiffened it up a bit so that it doesn't lean as much in turns.

Me, too. That's all I've done to the suspension on our 2016 with the E-350, with the addition of Bilstein shocks all around.

Now I'm considering adding a Hellwig sway bar on the rear before our next trip. Maybe traveling into some mountains and windy areas. Will appreciate comments on that heavier sway bar on the van chassis.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:38 AM   #10

Model: 2018 Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #14061
I added the Hellwig sway bars front and rear plus a

Roadmaster steering stabilizer. Made a great difference in handling and no problems with passing trucks.