Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2020, 08:38 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
If you want to disconnect your chassis battery why not just add your own? It’s cheap and easy. I’ve always been reluctant do so for fear that the transmission and engine computers will lose their memories and need to relearn their jobs. It’s not a big deal but you might consider adding a small solar panel to keep it ahead of parasitic drains. Mine is 80W and easily keeps house and chassis batteries strong in storage.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:50 PM   #22

Model: 2021 Freedom Elite 24FE
State: California
THOR #21070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
If you want to disconnect your chassis battery why not just add your own? It’s cheap and easy. I’ve always been reluctant do so for fear that the transmission and engine computers will lose their memories and need to relearn their jobs. It’s not a big deal but you might consider adding a small solar panel to keep it ahead of parasitic drains. Mine is 80W and easily keeps house and chassis batteries strong in storage.
Thanks for your reply. I already have a 100w solar panel and controller that came with the rig, but it only charges the house battery. I was thinking of a Battery Isolation Manager which would connect both the house and chassis batteries while charging, and isolate them when not charging. I've not yet been the victim of parasitic loss, but don't understand why my sprinter does not have the same capability to disconnect the chassis battery as in other or previous models.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:14 PM   #23

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyz3rd View Post
Thanks for your reply. I already have a 100w solar panel and controller that came with the rig, but it only charges the house battery. I was thinking of a Battery Isolation Manager which would connect both the house and chassis batteries while charging, and isolate them when not charging. I've not yet been the victim of parasitic loss, but don't understand why my sprinter does not have the same capability to disconnect the chassis battery as in other or previous models.

Grab on of these. It will charge the chassis battery from the house battery but only when the latter is being charged. I.e. from the solar panel. It is a super slick little gizmo that requires no attention to do what needs to be done.

https://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html
Old 12-23-2020, 10:33 PM   #24

Model: 2021 Freedom Elite 24FE
State: California
THOR #21070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete'sMH View Post
Grab on of these. It will charge the chassis battery from the house battery but only when the latter is being charged. I.e. from the solar panel. It is a super slick little gizmo that requires no attention to do what needs to be done.

https://www.lslproducts.net/TLSPage.html
Yeah, I guess that's another version of a BIM (battery isolation manager). So this will keep the chassis battery charged from the house battery/solar charger/generator, but otherwise isolated? Thanks!