Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2018, 11:21 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Colorado
THOR #5190
Thor Recall Letter

I got a recall letter from Thor today. While going back to the house I'm wonder what joys I'm going to have to endure with CW to get a recall repair done. Upon opening the letter I find that its a recall notice for the Kidde fire extinguisher and says basically, "call Thor and we will tell you how to call Kidde".

I already did the Kidde recall/swap, so my blood pressure went back to normal once I realized I didn't have to do the recall dance with CW.

Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain
RVi Brake 3
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 PM   #2

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
State: California
THOR #3559
Thor Kidde Recall

A copy of the Recall notice is attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Thor Kidde Recall January 2018.pdf (737.3 KB, 196 views)
Old 01-23-2018, 11:50 PM   #3

Model: Chateau 31E
State: Florida
THOR #7695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
A copy of the Recall notice is attached
Homer3

Got the same recall yesterday. I'm with you was not looking forward to a CW recall trip.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:22 AM   #4

Model: Freedom Elite 29fe
THOR #4656
Gee guys, this is old news. The Kidde recall has been on going for some time and is all over the RV web sites. Just go to the Kidde web site and put in your model date code and Kidde will send you a new one with a return shipping label for the old one. You don't need Thor to tell you how to do it.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:24 AM   #5

Model: Challenger LX
State: Arkansas
THOR #6651
Ok. How crazy is this. We had just pulled into an RV Park for an overnight stop on our way back home with our Challenger. Saw the notice about the recall so we pulled out our fire extinguisher to try to see if it was under the recall. While we are looking at it, my wife looks our the window and there is a lot smoke pouring out from a 5th wheel trailer two spots down. We go outside and a lady comes out of the trailer and frantically says that her trailer is on fire. So, I go in and the whole wall next to her cooktop is up in flames. I hit it with the extinguisher and knock it down quite a bit. I had to go out for a breath then went back in and hit it again. The fire department arrived about 10 min later but it was out at that point. I sure glad it worked. What are the odds that we would need it just as we were checking it out?
Old 01-24-2018, 12:27 AM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Don't see why you people have to go to CW at all--even on the letter it says to contact Kiddie. Kiddie will send you a new one with no dealer visit required.

(I also got that letter today.)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:29 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 31E
THOR #7695
JamieGeek

I did mine online this afternoon. Easy process. When the recall came in the mail I was like oh no back to CW again..... Not......
Old 01-24-2018, 12:33 AM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
THOR #5821
I called Kidde yesterday, because I saw the recall on the forum, and sure enough the extinguisher supplied in our coach was part of the recall. Later yesterday the recall notice from Thor arrived in the mail. Yes Kidde is going to send a new extinguisher, but Kidde has been making extinguishers for many years. Problem is IMO they keep looking for cheaper ways to manufacture them, and of course they all come from China now. With something like 2.7 million recalled, hard to see where having them all manufactured in China will in the long term save them any money.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:34 AM   #9

THOR #10354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laco View Post
I called Kidde yesterday, because I saw the recall on the forum, and sure enough the extinguisher supplied in our coach was part of the recall. Later yesterday the recall notice from Thor arrived in the mail. Yes Kidde is going to send a new extinguisher, but Kidde has been making extinguishers for many years. Problem is IMO they keep looking for cheaper ways to manufacture them, and of course they all come from China now. With something like 2.7 million recalled, hard to see where having them all manufactured in China will in the long term save them any money.
Do you really think that if the units were made in the USA that a US manufacturer would have not also come up with the cheapest plastic solution the Chinese did to minimize cost? I have been saying for years that you cannot find good, lasting quality in products anymore. Everyone wants to purchase the cheapest, junkiest things out there! Look at US Thor owners; are we not one of the best examples for the same issues we are talking about? As I have said before, the RV I purchased in 1999 had fewer features than the coach I just purchased and basically at the same price as I paid in 1999. It did not have a motorized lowering bed, 3 cameras, automatic awning/, LED lighting, 3 TVs, tankless water heater, dual house battery, and a single piece frontal fiberglass structure! (it was a 30' 1999 Gulfsteam Class C).

We are all guilty here!
Old 01-24-2018, 03:56 AM   #10

THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Don't see why you people have to go to CW at all--even on the letter it says to contact Kiddie. Kiddie will send you a new one with no dealer visit required.

(I also got that letter today.)
I was thinking it was something else Thor had screwed up. Actually it took them long enough to get their letter out as I’ve known about the Kidde recall for about 3 months and already have my replacement
RVi Brake 3
Old 01-24-2018, 12:34 PM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post
Do you really think that if the units were made in the USA that a US manufacturer would have not also come up with the cheapest plastic solution the Chinese did to minimize cost? I have been saying for years that you cannot find good, lasting quality in products anymore. Everyone wants to purchase the cheapest, junkiest things out there! Look at US Thor owners; are we not one of the best examples for the same issues we are talking about? As I have said before, the RV I purchased in 1999 had fewer features than the coach I just purchased and basically at the same price as I paid in 1999. It did not have a motorized lowering bed, 3 cameras, automatic awning/, LED lighting, 3 TVs, tankless water heater, dual house battery, and a single piece frontal fiberglass structure! (it was a 30' 1999 Gulfsteam Class C).

We are all guilty here!
Indeed we are, however even back in 1999 the RV manufacturers were making junk. We had a 1999 Wilderness towable that completely fell apart--it didn't have any of the fancy stuff included today either. Got rid of it after only one season.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 01:18 PM   #12
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
I got the letter this week too...
Of course when the recall was first announced I looked at all my extinguishers - and the only one impacted was in the RV.
I've had the replacement for a while now.

The letter says to give Kidde your VIN and tell them you are a Thor owner - well I certainly didn't know to do that months ago... So if they are tracking as a 'vehicle recall' now - they will never know it has already been replaced...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:45 PM   #13

State: New York
THOR #7582
I get an email from the USPS every morning showing me a picture of the mail that's scheduled to be delivered that day. I have to admit I was a little rattled when I saw the recall notice from Thor. I had to wait several hours before it was delivered and I was on edge the whole time. I have no intention of making that 120 mile trip with two big tolls to CW for anything. When the letter finally arrived I laughed. I was worried about nothing. I did it online in 10 minutes.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #14

THOR #3559
Thanks. We were not aware of the recall until we received the notice and will use the Kidde website as suggested.

Perhaps in the future, anyone aware of a recall notice will post it so we don't have to wait for Thor to inform us? I would certainly appreciate information sooner rather than later.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #15

THOR #5190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehobe1 View Post

We are all guilty here!
Yep, the demand of the "average" consumer drives manufacturers to a race to the bottom.Like society, consumers seem to be divided into the "average" the "elite" and a big group caught in the middle I'll call the "realistic". Manufacturers either go to the average or elite markets, with those who would pay more for better quality but don't care for the gold plated bathroom fixtures left out in the cold. in the RV industry, that means the realistic folks need to chose the best of the worse and then invest in upgrading and fixing. I'll probably stop RV'ing when I get to the point where I have to rely upon the so called service departments to improve and fix things.
RVi Brake 3
Old 01-24-2018, 08:30 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTig View Post
Ok. ...While we are looking at it, my wife looks our the window and there is a lot smoke pouring out from a 5th wheel trailer two spots down. We go outside and a lady comes out of the trailer and frantically says that her trailer is on fire. So, I go in and the whole wall next to her cooktop is up in flames. I hit it with the extinguisher and knock it down quite a bit. I had to go out for a breath then went back in and hit it again. The fire department arrived about 10 min later but it was out at that point. I sure glad it worked. What are the odds that we would need it just as we were checking it out?
Thank goodness that you had it ready... and that it actually worked!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:37 PM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer3 View Post
Thanks. We were not aware of the recall until we received the notice and will use the Kidde website as suggested.

Perhaps in the future, anyone aware of a recall notice will post it so we don't have to wait for Thor to inform us? I would certainly appreciate information sooner rather than later.
It was posted here when it hit the news back in November.
Was how I became aware of it.
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f4/...hers-9982.html
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 05:38 PM   #18

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
Futz they want the old one shipped back to destroy it. I was going to use it on a test fire. Most people (including me) have never actually used a fire extinguisher. I was going to practice.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #19

Brand: Still Looking
State: Tennessee
THOR #7227
Quote:
Originally Posted by petefoss View Post
Futz they want the old one shipped back to destroy it. I was going to use it on a test fire. Most people (including me) have never actually used a fire extinguisher. I was going to practice.

Did they State it had to be shipped back charged? As I was changing out the extinguishers a small grease fire stated on the stove and luckily I had the old fire extinguisher in hand to put it out.
Old 01-27-2018, 08:12 PM   #20

Model: Four Winds 31W
THOR #9522
They include a prepaid label. But you are right they don't a hold on me besides my address.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote