Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2018, 04:41 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Warranty Claims

How long does it normally take to get Thor to approve warranty work? My local CW is telling me they are still waiting for approval to do some warranty work on my 2018 ACE 29.4; they have had it a month. Issue didn't seem to big, fridge only works off gas, exterior fridge access panel won't latch, a couple storage area locks inoperable and a tear in the seat that was identified during the PDI. CW folks are all very polite and I get weekly updates (with no progress) and honestly don't have immediate plans, but how long should I be patient? Should I call Thor Customer service?

Previous Keystone 5th Wheel (Thor owned) warranty work was approved in a couple days at most.

I'm not sure exactly what is required for repair. I'm guessing a control panel for the fridge, patching of seat, exterior panel that doesn't fit well might require some paint and body work. Is this time frame normal? If so, how much longer should I expect it to be. Thanks.

(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
How long does it normally take to get Thor to approve warranty work? My local CW is telling me they are still waiting for approval to do some warranty work on my 2018 ACE 29.4; they have had it a month. Issue didn't seem to big, fridge only works off gas, exterior fridge access panel won't latch, a couple storage area locks inoperable and a tear in the seat that was identified during the PDI. CW folks are all very polite and I get weekly updates (with no progress) and honestly don't have immediate plans, but how long should I be patient? Should I call Thor Customer service?

Previous Keystone 5th Wheel (Thor owned) warranty work was approved in a couple days at most.

I'm not sure exactly what is required for repair. I'm guessing a control panel for the fridge, patching of seat, exterior panel that doesn't fit well might require some paint and body work. Is this time frame normal? If so, how much longer should I expect it to be. Thanks.
Your next step should be a call to Thor and ask them. It is likely that your dealer hasn't even submitted the warranty claim with them. Then you have more ammo to hit back at your dealer: "I called Thor and they said you haven't even contacted them about this problem!?"

Unfortunately you have to work both sides of the system to keep everything moving smoothly.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:33 AM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
State: Missouri
THOR #5437
X2 I had to end up calling Thor on some warrenty work when I first got the unit. To find out Thor responed right away and had a question about problem and the dealer did not respond.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:44 AM   #4

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 30.1
State: South Carolina
THOR #5641
You always have to check up I’m CW. I have had to call Thor to check if CW has even called them about the problems (or if parts have been sent). CW always says they are waiting on Thor for approval for work or waiting on parts.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:06 AM   #5

Model: Axis RUV 24.1
State: New York
THOR #9288
warranty work

I have had warranty issues, nothing major...all minor things like a missing screen door lockset, a compartment where the door locks but can be pulled open because the lock shaft will not go deeper in to the bottom of the opening frame and a chip in a cabinet door in the galley and the bathroom and lastly a crack in a piece of wood in the bedroom bed frame.
Nothing major and my estimate to change out or repair / replace many 3 hours of work. Dealer never calls with a repair appointment nor calls on the status of the parts being shipped.
I contacted Thor and I was amazed how fast I had authorization to replace the discovered warranty issues. It seems that the dealer has not called for the parts. With Thor if the dealer does not call Thor they will not send out the parts even if the warranty issues are held up by the dealers thoughtfulness in ordering the approved warranty work and parts.
So the bottom line might just be the dealers fault in the delay> Nice of the dealer to take your &&& they renege in making prompt warranty repairs. That's what I call uealershipproblems.
One day perhaps, our state governments might smarten up and regulate the failure of handling warranty issues in a swift manner as that should be the way business is done through state regulation with standards being set under the consumer protection laws.
I would think the State Attorney General should have a section to handle this sort of issue as well as contacting the states DMV who would start an investigation after they receive more than one warranty issue on a dealer who has failed to accommodate the owner who needs warranty service issues!
Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 PM   #6

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Talked to Thor Customer Service today and was told all warranty items were approved on 5 June. Armed with this information I visited my local CW (5 minutes from my house). When I asked for status, was told all parts arrived on 10 June. Some parts were incorrect and returned. New parts arrived 14 June. RV will be ready tomorrow 19 June (tomorrow). I guess the process is working; hopefully all is working tomorrow. I will be thorough upon delivery. Thanks for the advice.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:19 PM   #7

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Patience is a virtue!! Great job!! If only we had a little button to take words back!
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 02:00 AM   #8

State: Missouri
THOR #10032
Camping world had my rig over 30 days . Kept feeding me the same line. Turned out that Thor had no record of CW contacting them . I ended up taking mine back to Indiana to get fixed. CW is horrible for getting things done.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

Model: 34J
State: Florida
THOR #8707
CW sucks!!! Had my coach for over 90 days before i escalated to Thor. I heard every excuse from CW, not approved, waiting on parts. I called Thor and gave them my VIN and they immediately gave me an update only to find out it had been approved and sitting in CW's hands and nothing was done.

Got so bad with CW that Thor flew techs into Tampa to fix what CW could not and had my coach back to in a few days. Still had some issues with the work that CW did but when i spoke with Thor, they had one of their Service field Reps come to my place of business to correct. I learned the hard way not let your dealer blame the manufacturer without checking into it. Many dealer may be AOT better than this but CW is not one of them!!!
Old 06-20-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVMIII View Post
Talked to Thor Customer Service today and was told all warranty items were approved on 5 June. Armed with this information I visited my local CW (5 minutes from my house). When I asked for status, was told all parts arrived on 10 June. Some parts were incorrect and returned. New parts arrived 14 June. RV will be ready tomorrow 19 June (tomorrow). I guess the process is working; hopefully all is working tomorrow. I will be thorough upon delivery. Thanks for the advice.
Glad to hear that your patience (and diligence!) has paid off!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote