Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2020, 04:54 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
Traveling In Increments...

Our year has come...2020 marks full retirement for the April (January 31st) and we now start our plans to travel extensively for the next 12 months plus. We will still have the home in Florida and will still travel with "Bugsie and Blondie", the two wacko Labs. There are lots of places we plan to visit. Some legs would be wonderful to have the dogs along and others less so. We have a family member who can sit the house in Florida for weeks at a time for those legs we will not take dogs. My question here...have any of you done extended traveling, leaving your coach stored somewhere out west and flying back and forth to continue the journey? Seems traveling 3 to 4 weeks, returning home with the MH to just head back out across our path again to go further is a waste of time and money. Do you know of specific places safe to store a MH with a minimum of 15A power? Being flexible, we could travel off the path for this type setup. I've read a little about people having a spot on their property and charging a reasonable fee for storage but haven't looked in to it yet. Any experiences with this would be very helpful. Thanks!!

Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Are you an FMCA member? If so check out their directory.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:57 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I would suppose the time and money to 'fly' back and forth would be just as costly and time consuming - traveling in the motorhome is part of the journey, the pleasure, the fun, the excitement, the passion - it's not whether you've 'already' been done this path before, but that you have the ability to do so - plus, there are PLENTY of pet hotels for their own long-term stays in many, many city and places you are already near, or traveling thru, in the first place.

Our families reside in west central Georgia, while we've 'traveled the country' many times, always to return to holidays and birthdays and special events in Georgia - and believe me, we KNOW those roads! But, it's part of the travel that's part of the journey - it's not a problem, or a cost, or time... it's just part of the fun.

I'm sure some airlines will also happily return your pets to their home, for a price, of course...
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:38 PM   #4

THOR #11130
I would never board my pets...I would board kids before pets. Some folks should do that! LOL Money isn't an issue and enjoying the journey, the fun and the pleasure is already in the plan. I think I could fly back from Wyoming quicker than driving a motorhome. The plan would be come home for a month or two or three, then continue. Traveling the same path isn't an issue either...I've been doing it for 27 years between PCB and ATL. It's just about the convenience to me...leave the coach, fly home or somewhere else exciting in the country/world, then return and keep going.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:59 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
There is no reason to ever travel the same road twice.
Unless you need the
Store the rv
Call an uber
Get to airport two hours early
Two hour layover
Stand around waiting for luggage
Bother someone for a ride or catch another uber
8 hour minimum duties for a 180 minute flight

I'd consider(as we do) the interstate for speedy trips back home
Or any one of the dozens to hundreds of routes from anywhere to anywhere else.

We've stayed in ghost towns and almost ghost towns and small towns and towns of 100 people based around a grain silo and a railroad spur. We've eaten at diners and cafes where they hadn't seen a stranger in two years, all on pavement.
Oklahoma is a good example. Pick any road west, count two roads up, and take that road instead.
500 choices.

Make it a journey.

We often in the past but less frequently now, would come to a cross road and PHYSICALLY
flip a coin 'right or left'. I can't begin to tell you the obscure places we've been because of it.
Opal mines in Nevada, closed, privately-owned, out of business for 49 years, 'see the cave!' places in WV. Buffalo herds. Elk herds, tied up in 'traffic' on a narrow paved road for two hours while 10,000 sheep passed... And no other car came by. Recently in Central Missouri we traveled all day and went a total of 55 miles. Stayed at a motel near Bennett Springs that night. We were down purt near every fu and zz road they had. Damn yard sales.

Our last coin flip was the only one that went awry. All right turns, we did circles between Page Arizona and Kayenta on the Navajo rez for two days then gave up. But we saw that damn plain from every possible vantage point.

You're over thinking and thinking like a person who has to be somewhere.
It doesn't matter where you go, just go. It doesn't matter that, like the damn trip from here to California how we know the name of every lizrad on every rock. There's still 5,000 places to go just 5 miles off the 40. F4 jet crash from 1964ish. Lava tubes, railroad spurs no one has touched in 100 years, reopened cafes that suck, the comfort of the dairy queen at Ludlow.

I'm jealous of your fresh faced look at it all.

And

The problem with leaving the rv somewhere is tornado, flood, basketball, fire evacuations, all the bullcrap that comes with a town you don't know well. Now you've got to fly in a hurry to GodForgot Oklahoma just to assess some undetermined damage or no damage, then fly back, then fly back for the insurance guy.
It a big country and prestaging seems a good idea... Until you fly in and mice have eaten your ignition wires and no one will work on it for a month....

And
Your dogs might love to be boarded. It's a vacation for them, others to play with, new toys, Parvo....

I'm told some dogs love it.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #6

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, when you added the question about 'pets', you opened up replies where the 'claws' will come out - people love their pets, and yes, sometimes it seems more than their own children.
You mentioned the pets and we gave you some ideas - no one can make that decision but you.
Boarding pets is certainly an option we've chosen before, and our pets certainly go with us most of the time, too.... to each his own, and for each situation it may change.
Old 01-21-2020, 10:44 PM   #7

THOR #11130
You guys sure have some pretty good drugs! Talk about a train taking a dirt road...I can't see it for the dust. These were my only two questions and neither of you have come anywhere close...funny! I asked no questions about pets. Who is "we" anyway??

1) My question here...have any of you done extended traveling, leaving your coach stored somewhere out west and flying back and forth to continue the journey?

2) Do you know of specific places safe to store a MH with a minimum of 15A power?
Old 01-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #8

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
No one but the two of us even cared to speculate.

My writings aren't always exactly specific to the op.
They are often just as much for the other 1000 people who may read the thread.
Had it been:
Where's my gfci,
I'd have been specific instead of speculative and supportive.

I expect a bit of application and extrapolation from folks.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:30 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Don,
No... and no again!

But this has got to be such an exciting time for you folks!

One more thing...

About that train:

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1579649413
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lost Train.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	216.2 KB
ID:	22291  
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:26 AM   #10

Model: '17-Vegas 24.1
State: California
THOR #13362
Try this outfit for extended overnights/storage in a safe location all over the U.S.

https://www.boondockerswelcome.com/
Old 01-22-2020, 12:27 AM   #11

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
Our year has come...2020 marks full retirement for the April (January 31st) and we now start our plans to travel extensively for the next 12 months plus. We will still have the home in Florida and will still travel with "Bugsie and Blondie", the two wacko Labs. There are lots of places we plan to visit. Some legs would be wonderful to have the dogs along and others less so. We have a family member who can sit the house in Florida for weeks at a time for those legs we will not take dogs. My question here...have any of you done extended traveling, leaving your coach stored somewhere out west and flying back and forth to continue the journey? Seems traveling 3 to 4 weeks, returning home with the MH to just head back out across our path again to go further is a waste of time and money. Do you know of specific places safe to store a MH with a minimum of 15A power? Being flexible, we could travel off the path for this type setup. I've read a little about people having a spot on their property and charging a reasonable fee for storage but haven't looked in to it yet. Any experiences with this would be very helpful. Thanks!!
Cant help you but can only give some suggestions that you probably already know and a question for you.

Why do you need 15 a power? Fridge??

If yes Id just empty it out and start fresh when you return.

Like most of us here we have been to many many campgrounds. I have seen lots of rvs stored on the property. Why not just store it at a campground you like and trust, fly home then fly back. Yes it will cost you some storage but Im sure you already planned on that.

Ill also add that I kind of like your idea. When we finish a long trip and start for home that drive back sucks. Its a mental thing. Your idea has some good merits. Its not for all but I kind of like your thinking.

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:30 AM   #12

THOR #11130
That's it Bob!! Ducksface...threads go on for days and weeks...everybody doesn't sit on the forum 24/7. Someone with something of value to add will drift in here soon and offer some sound, experienced advice.
Old 01-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #13

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Don..... we are 1 to 2 years out from where you are now. We plan to do 3 - 4 months of continuous RV traveling each year.... then 5 - 6 months in FL and 2 - 3 months in PA.

We are in our early planning stages but have thought about "what if" we wanted to leave the MH and head somewhere else for a while... either by toad or by air. We have a dog as well but she is a 13lb minny pin so she can fly with us (even though she hates it). We will be taking here everywhere we go... at least that is the plan.

We were thinking along the lines of what Jerry recommended.... finding a campground perhaps where we could get a discounted extended stay rate to keep it hooked to power and plenty of people around to keep an eye on it.

Since I have the Winegard ConnecT 2 in it, I have already bought a web came to install inside the coach so I can keep an eye on it if we are away from it for extended periods. Plus it is a good way to keep an eye on the dog if we are out for the day.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:44 PM   #14

THOR #11130
Halfprice...yes, the fridge. Don't think we would be gone long enough to empty it out...gotta have that cold beer for the Queen soon as we hit the ground. I have this thing about leaving the fridge going...just like the one at home...a fridge in motion stays in motion. Great suggestions about a CG...move it to a secondary spot and maybe get a discounted price.

Judge...we could always take the toad back home. Have the wrap-around mat in the back for the dogs and the car would make it a breeze. Our stints back home wouldn't be more than a month or so. Plus it would keep the miles down on the coach. I already have a few folks lined up for a possible purchase of it in a couple years or so. Then, we will downsize.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:37 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
You know your plan isn't much different from people who plop their unit somewhere for the summer and just weekend there.

Just find a campground or two or three that allows those extended stay and/or "seasonal" plans (granted you don't want to leave it there for the entire summer).

We've been to many campground that look like they are filled up but there isn't anyone there. (Especially campgrounds in popular vacation spots--most recently the campground we stayed at in Cape May, NJ last summer--totally filled up but we were there during the week so there was very few people walking around.)

I would bet good money that you're not the first to devise such a plan.

Of course I distinctly remember seeing an RV show on the Travel Channel--Extreme RV's I think it was--that showed one couple who had a driver take their RV to where they wanted to go and then they took their private jet to meet up with it for "vacations". Yeah ok a bit more of an extravagant lifestyle I'll admit and their RV cost was 7 figures LOL.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:19 PM   #16

Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
THOR #3156
I think the cost of a monthly site being discussed would be costly. I have seen many cg with a storage area for mh. I'll assume this is a lot cheaper but not sure if power is available

Only way to know any of this is to start planning where you want to leave it and find a cg that you like

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #17

THOR #11130
U Haul has become a big player in auto and RV storage with covered, indoor and outside storage. Many locations offer power. Their website has a search feature by zip code. They are emailing me a map of all locations in the US. Perhaps find a locations and adjust travels to be near one of these locations when ready to go home. If they have them, others do as well. It will be an interesting challenge.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:44 PM   #18

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
U Haul has become a big player in auto and RV storage with covered, indoor and outside storage. Many locations offer power. Their website has a search feature by zip code. They are emailing me a map of all locations in the US. Perhaps find a locations and adjust travels to be near one of these locations when ready to go home. If they have them, others do as well. It will be an interesting challenge.
Keep us posted on what you learn... this could be an interesting option.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:14 PM   #19

Model: A.C.E. 30.2
State: Arkansas
THOR #13770
So glad you made it! You helped make my first year on the road a success. I can't remember if you were a veteran (sorry...), but if so, with the military posts now opening up MWR to all vets (as Space A), you should check out the costs an availability of storage on post. I know lots of vets do it, but I don't know the particulars. Give your local outdoor rec a call. Regardless, I'm so very happy for your family!
Quote:
Old 01-24-2020, 07:19 PM   #20

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfprice View Post
I think the cost of a monthly site being discussed would be costly. I have seen many cg with a storage area for mh. I'll assume this is a lot cheaper but not sure if power is available

Only way to know any of this is to start planning where you want to leave it and find a cg that you like

Jerry
Agree with Jerry. I’ve been in many campgrounds with storage areas which shouldn’t be as expensive. Most looked like an open field where you could park an RV.

As to fridge, if you can’t get a 15A (or higher) land line, solar might work depending on time of year, etc. Your unit probably has auto gen start so that’s an option, although I’m not sure I’d want generator starting on a regular basis without me being there.

================================

My wife and I can fly very very inexpensively, so have done it before in combination with RVing in different ways. Not for long periods as you plan, but we have discussed doing something very similar when we can get away for longer periods in future (not an option at present due to other commitments).

If we stay with a van, our plan is to park it at airport and fly home to check on house, get mail, see doctors, etc. After a few days to a week, we’d fly back and continue the journey. We normally have had at least one dog, but not at present. That would complicate matters because we would not leave him/her anywhere while traveling home for a few days. For that reason we want to tour the northwest and Alaska before adopting another.

Sorry to digress. I like your plan except for dealing with pets. That would be a major issue for us also.