Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2020, 12:56 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #8255
Water coming in through sliders

We own a 2019 Tuscany 40RT. Issues we are still having (going to Wakarusa next month so hoping it will be resolved) is after driving through rain, I have 3 lower compartments that have water in them and after sliders go out ( not currently raining) our floors are all wet. Did this happen to anyone else out there? Our concern is for the potential of molds under recliners/ cabinets and under carpet in main cabin.

Old 01-18-2020, 04:16 AM   #2

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
yep, just had some water in areas I've never seen before this morning when we ran our slides in to leave for the weekend... we've also had a LOT of rain over the last several weeks, all while the slides were out.
I'm not sure there's a 'for sure' method to ever see this problem go away, as water always searches for it's easiest way into our lives, and our homes, especially if your home is an RV with big 'holes' on the sides! Slide awnings certainly help, but the fact that the sides/ends of the slides are always out in the rain makes this a really difficult proposition for any manufacturer to perfect - as so many weather conditions can create so many differing issues - driving rain, temperature changes, humidity, wind, sun....you get the idea.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 01:32 PM   #3

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Wind forced rains will always be a problem dependibg on the winds direction. I suggest you slightly lean the rig in the direction of the sliders if they are out. Keep your seals well lubricated and sometimes you might need to open/close them for a better seal.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #4

State: Washington
THOR #6433
It may not be the seals, on our class c there was a bottom molding/trim piece into the slide that needed to be resealed it was only about an inch or so that was the problem. But the water was going behind the trim finding a spot to flow on the floor of the slide and then leaving on the floor in the coach
Old 01-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #5

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
yep, just had some water in areas I've never seen before this morning when we ran our slides in to leave for the weekend... we've also had a LOT of rain over the last several weeks, all while the slides were out.
I'm not sure there's a 'for sure' method to ever see this problem go away, as water always searches for it's easiest way into our lives, and our homes, especially if your home is an RV with big 'holes' on the sides! Slide awnings certainly help, but the fact that the sides/ends of the slides are always out in the rain makes this a really difficult proposition for any manufacturer to perfect - as so many weather conditions can create so many differing issues - driving rain, temperature changes, humidity, wind, sun....you get the idea.

No slide?
Old 02-01-2020, 08:25 PM   #6

Model: Daybreak 32HD
State: Florida
THOR #13677
I have a 2013 Daybreak 32HD, when it rained water came in behind the drivers seat at the slide area, ONLY when the slide was in. After about a 1000.00 in attempted repairs, we found the lower outside trim, on the slide had come loose, and rain water would get behind it above the slide seal and onto the interior floor. it took a $3.50 tube of silicone to repair.
Good luck
Old 02-02-2020, 10:49 AM   #7

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Ohio
THOR #17621
Our 31W leaks thru the slide when driving and it rains and blows toward the slide side. It trickles in on the floor. I have only noticed in a "driving" rain while driving....just a regular ole rain it seems to be "ok".
Old 02-02-2020, 12:44 PM   #8

State: Virginia
THOR #6857
I second check the trim

My palazzo 33.2 leaked around the trim then into the coach and on to the floor. The crack in sealant was very hard to see. Don't repair with silicone. I did that first and had to remove the silicone and reseal with Pro Flex Super Flexible Elastomeric Sealant Acrylic Clear Paintable
Old 02-02-2020, 01:03 PM   #9

Model: Daybreak 32HD
State: Florida
THOR #13677
If it only leaks when driving, that means the slide is in. The wind drag could be pulling against some trim, and creating a gap. Just worth looking at the lower, outside trim for looseness or gaps.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:47 PM   #10

State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bushnell View Post
We own a 2019 Tuscany 40RT. Issues we are still having (going to Wakarusa next month so hoping it will be resolved) is after driving through rain, I have 3 lower compartments that have water in them and after sliders go out ( not currently raining) our floors are all wet. Did this happen to anyone else out there? Our concern is for the potential of molds under recliners/ cabinets and under carpet in main cabin.
I wrote a lengthy reply and for some reason it did not go. Ill try again. I have a 2017 Thor Tuscany 40AX and have had major water issues in the basement. Think I got it fixed now. I used a garden hose under the front of the basement outside and had my wife watch when the water entered. Found that the Propane access panel was leaking all around and the wall joint was leaking where the floor meets the wall. Used a whole roll of rope caulking to press in the joints from the outside. I think I got it fixed now but will have the whole bottom outside undercoated once we get back home. Also found that water was coming in that front wall around the rv upper frame where it passes through the compartments. Sealed with foam and Gorilla Tape. Close the doors on the compartments on a sunny day and look inside for light. My door seals had to be replaced as they were inadequate to seal. The slide seals are likely the culprit on the inside water. Mine had to be replaced after several times trying to just push them back on better.
Old 02-02-2020, 02:47 PM   #11

State: Georgia
THOR #13916
Basement storage water leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bushnell View Post
We have a 2017 Tuscany 42gx and we’re having the same problems with water getting in basement while driving in the rain. I found the doors to be loose and not sealing properly. I solved my problem by getting some hard plastic tubing that they use for air brake supply hoses. I cut some pieces the length of the catch loop (a little over 2” long) and then carefully sliced it open so that it would fit over the loop making it a little thicker It seemed to tighten up all the compartments. No more water leaks. Give it a try
Old 02-03-2020, 06:22 AM   #12

Model: Tuscany 45AT
State: Illinois
THOR #5822
Leaky basement doors 2016 Tuscany 45AAT

We discovered that our basement doors were leaking several months ago. Things we had stored down below had gotten very wet whenever we drove in the rain for several hours.

Most of our gear is now kept in weather tight plastic boxes because of the poor seals on the cargo doors.

Meanwhile, the water is causing the floor of the main storage compartment to delaminate (the floor is made of plywood with a white plastic coating on top to make them water resistant). However, since Thor did not prep the edges of the plywood flooring (with the same waterproof coating, whatever it is) the moisture is wicking into the layers of veneer and glue that form the plywood boards. The flooring is now self destructing, from the outside edges inwards, and will have to be replaced someday.

I suspect that what is happening is a slight vacuum forms inside the cargo compartment while driving at highway speeds Airflow out through the engine compartment, past the water tanks, is what probably creates the vacuum. The poor seals on the cargo doors allow the moisture kicked up by the tires (on wet pavement) to get sucked into the main cargo hold.

This is not a problem in many of the smaller compartments, such as the ones containing the Aquahot, the hydraulic controls, and the inverter. Those seem to be a little more airtight. The water service compartment, however, is deteriorating in a similar fashion.

Slight door adjustments can improve the performance of the factory seals, in addition to modifications as mentioned by the previous contributor.

My main objective here is to warn people about the effect the water is having on the floor boards. Once the floor boards dry out, it should be possible to paint the edges of the plywood with a heavy coat of good marine varnish to prevent further deterioration.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:27 PM   #13

Brand: Cruiser
Model: Georgetown 30x3
State: Idaho
THOR #17441
Huh. Happy it doesn’t rain much where I live and usually travel.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #14

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 27.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #17813
"It may not be the seals, on our class c there was a bottom molding/trim piece into the slide that needed to be resealed it was only about an inch or so that was the problem. But the water was going behind the trim finding a spot to flow on the floor of the slide and then leaving on the floor in the coach"

I had the same problem. Drove me crazy trying to track it down, I thought it was coming thru the roof. Wouldn't leak with the slide out but poured in when closed.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:12 PM   #15

State: Massachusetts
THOR #12830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul0138 View Post
"It may not be the seals, on our class c there was a bottom molding/trim piece into the slide that needed to be resealed it was only about an inch or so that was the problem. But the water was going behind the trim finding a spot to flow on the floor of the slide and then leaving on the floor in the coach"

I had the same problem. Drove me crazy trying to track it down, I thought it was coming thru the roof. Wouldn't leak with the slide out but poured in when closed.
Make sure your motors are in sync so they together pull in tight. If you haven't conditioned the seals for a while it may help. Otherwise do the pressure test as suggested.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:05 AM   #16

Model: 2015 ACE 29.2
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #16711
I have the same problem with a 2015 ACE 29.2. The water is running down the face of the slide wall and behind the bottom trim piece. This wraps under the flooring system and directs the water into the coach. The fix for the water entry was easy enough, I removed all of the silicone caulk the previous owner had put on and recaulked with Proflex. The trim was missing about half of the screws so I have added those where it appears they were never installed by the manufacturer and replaced a few more that were quite rusty. The last problem I am left with is that the floor system is made with a 1/8" lauan board covered in a plastic mesh that is bonded to the underside of the steel frame. This has disintegrated under the trim rail in the back corner from the moisture (4" x6" area) and I am not sure what to do about fixing this????
Old 12-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #17

Model: 2016 A.C.E. 27.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #17813
Did the caulking fix the leak? I have caulked the trim and also around the external speaker and I'm still getting leaking. Don't know what to suggest about fixing your floor sounds like a major project.
Old 05-05-2021, 02:26 AM   #18

State: Missouri
THOR #18870
Angry 2020 Thor Chateau 31W Slide In & Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul0138 View Post

Hello! We own a 2020 Thor Chateau 31W and we have water leaking inside when our RV is parked and the slide is in. Thor had Gander RV pull our slide and completely replace the seals. We brought it home yesterday and I went out to check it because it was raining, and there was water leaking inside on the floor.

Where is the molding / trim piece that you speak about?
Old 05-05-2021, 02:30 AM   #19

State: Missouri
THOR #18870
2020 Thor Chateau 31W Slide In & Leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidgrape View Post
Our 31W leaks thru the slide when driving and it rains and blows toward the slide side. It trickles in on the floor. I have only noticed in a "driving" rain while driving....just a regular ole rain it seems to be "ok".
Our 2020 Thor Chateau 31W leaks from the slide onto the floor also. Ours does it with slide in and parked. Have you been able to fix your leak?
Old 05-05-2021, 03:02 AM   #20

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamcbeth View Post
Hello! We own a 2020 Thor Chateau 31W and we have water leaking inside when our RV is parked and the slide is in. Thor had Gander RV pull our slide and completely replace the seals. We brought it home yesterday and I went out to check it because it was raining, and there was water leaking inside on the floor.

Where is the molding / trim piece that you speak about?
Behind this trim piece on the bottom of the slide wall, is where the side wall meets the floor. If you don’t have a good bead of sealant on the top of the trim the water leaks behind. Then it flows down to the floor where it leaks under the slide into the coach. It discovered it in a monsoon as soon as I put sealant down it stopped leaking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B708B10F-551F-4D73-B65F-336F88E22B33.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	30239