Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2020, 12:22 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #17954
Water leak

Have water behind drivers seat on floor. Thor ACE 30.1, 2015. Not coming from slider. Roof is dry . Any thoughts. Slider seals are new. Can driver window leak???

Old 06-16-2020, 04:27 PM   #2

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
What water situations have you been through to produce the water leak......driving through rain storm or just wet roads; sitting while getting rained on; washing the coach etc.? Leaks can happen anywhere and there have been posts of many makes of coaches leaking from windshields, side windows and front cap roof seals. Water once inside the coach can travel undetected until it drops to its visible location. Sometimes even with apparently good slide seals you can get water coming through a small gap if driven hard enough. Any evidence of how the water got to where you found it.....stain on ceiling tile; more water under couch on slide etc. ? If nothing is evident sometimes just a "careful" roof inspection can disclose a need for some Dicor caulking or eternabond tape repairs. Should be done yearly or more often as part of a maintenance schedule anyway.
Old 06-16-2020, 11:24 PM   #3

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
What water situations have you been through to produce the water leak......driving through rain storm or just wet roads; sitting while getting rained on; washing the coach etc.? Leaks can happen anywhere and there have been posts of many makes of coaches leaking from windshields, side windows and front cap roof seals. Water once inside the coach can travel undetected until it drops to its visible location. Sometimes even with apparently good slide seals you can get water coming through a small gap if driven hard enough. Any evidence of how the water got to where you found it.....stain on ceiling tile; more water under couch on slide etc. ? If nothing is evident sometimes just a "careful" roof inspection can disclose a need for some Dicor caulking or eternabond tape repairs. Should be done yearly or more often as part of a maintenance schedule anyway.

Well we’ve had heavy rain. It’s rainy season here in Florida, plus Chrisobal dump plenty. Roof is seal and couldn’t find any unsealed spots. Since behind drivers seat on floor , I suspect window. But your probably right maybe hard rain just right on slider. Thanks , never had water before. Wall and window are dry. Once again thanks for the thoughts and maintenance tip.
Old 06-17-2020, 11:49 AM   #4

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
one thing that we've experienced with our Main Slide being right behind the driver seat is that even though there is no 'leak' from the slide, since water is on the walls of the outside ends of the slides after a rain, and we bring the slide in, we are then bringing in WATER that remains on those walls - while the seals are supposed to 'wipe' the slides as you bring them in, it's not always perfect, and water from these ends can then drip down onto the floor, right behind the driver seat, sometimes even running thru/under the driver seat and showing up between the driver and passenger seat, while traveling...

slides are also not impervious to water collecting on the slide roof, even with slide toppers. Wind can be a factor, while you're parked, as the ends are open. Also, small pinholes can start to form in the awning, many times at the point where the awning is attached to the wall, allowing small droplets of water onto the top of the slide, over time. If you then bring in the slide afterwards, the slide seals actually then act as a broom, to 'sweep' this water toward the inside trim, and ultimately over the ENDS of the slide - manifesting itself as 'leaks' or 'puddles' at the ends of the slide. We've even seen this show up under the dinette, since it's also right near the front end of the Main Slide, if the coach is tilted rearward when you bring the slide in, etc.

Over the years we've had our share of thinking that we had a 'leak' somewhere, and have certainly taken our due diligence to find 'them', but ultimately we have learned, in all our travels, that the 'leak' does NOT happen while traveling, and does NOT happen while parked, but ONLY right after we bring the slides in. Crazy. but True : )
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 06:48 PM   #5

THOR #19087
Ditto...my first weekend on our break-in cruise and I thought we had a leak and then noticed it was water being brought in on the exterior sidewalls of the slide out.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:15 PM   #6

State: Washington
THOR #19477
Leak??

Did this appear like water trickling across the floor or was it just generally moist? We have had the same leak issue, but I am afraid it is really a leak and not just a little moisture brought in. Ours is a small stream of water running across the floor.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:16 PM   #7

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilamcc View Post
Did this appear like water trickling across the floor or was it just generally moist? We have had the same leak issue, but I am afraid it is really a leak and not just a little moisture brought in. Ours is a small stream of water running across the floor.

It was a trickle and if it rained a lot it would puddle. I pressure washed the window no leak. Then the slider, a couple drops. Hmmm new seal has just been installed.? Called Thor tech , Ed. He said run slide out a little bit then retract once closed hold switch an extra 3 or 4 secs. Did it re pressure washed, not one drop. Have been in Florida thunder storm since, no leak. Guess slider deal is fussy.,I now hold an extra few secs no water anywhere.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:32 PM   #8

THOR #19477
Thanks, Luke

I will try that. We are still fiddling with this. I think motor homes should be called "tinker toys" and people who purchase them should understand that if they do not enjoy tinkering they may be totally frustrated.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #9
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Yup!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:49 PM   #10

THOR #17954
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilamcc View Post
I will try that. We are still fiddling with this. I think motor homes should be called "tinker toys" and people who purchase them should understand that if they do not enjoy tinkering they may be totally frustrated.

Yes definitely not a trouble free, cash savings product. Our first Motorhome has welcomed us to the tinkering population. Despite issues which come up, the hours of enjoyment has been great. As in home ownership there is always something to tinker on. Of course this house is on wheels, so it's to be expected. Approaching 50K an overall I'd do it again. Our grandkids love RVing. Be safe tinker an enjoy
Old 08-11-2020, 06:06 PM   #11

THOR #19477
Absolutely, Bob

You are SO right!!
Old 08-11-2020, 06:33 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860