Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2022, 12:20 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: New York
THOR #26604
Water lines

Does anyone know how to stop hot water from coming out of cold water faucet and cold water from flowing out of hot water faucet
Also steaming hot water coming inside toilet
2021 hurricane

Old 05-16-2022, 12:53 AM   #2
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Connect the hot and cold lines to the correct locations?

If nothing has changed and this is a new problem (in other words, it used to work correctly) then your winterizing valves are out of position.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:37 AM   #3

State: Washington
THOR #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
Connect the hot and cold lines to the correct locations?

If nothing has changed and this is a new problem (in other words, it used to work correctly) then your winterizing valves are out of position.
X2 on on having the valves wrong
Old 05-16-2022, 02:42 PM   #4

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
Check your "bypass" valve near the water heater. Often forgotten when de-winterizing. If left in open position this will allow hot water to "circle-back" into the cold water lines.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 05:28 PM   #5

Model: Tuscany 42GX
State: Missouri
THOR #9178
Shower valve open but head blocked. Outside and in?
Old 05-16-2022, 10:25 PM   #6

THOR #26604
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramzarr@roadrunner.com View Post
Does anyone know how to stop hot water from coming out of cold water faucet and cold water from flowing out of hot water faucet
Also steaming hot water coming inside toilet
2021 hurricane

Unit has been to dealer and no one seems to be able to repair
Thanks again
Old 05-16-2022, 11:35 PM   #7

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Thanks again

I find this VERY HARD to believe?

Let's keep it real simple.

Are you saying that if you turn on the cold water in the shower, all sinks, and the toilet; the water comes out hot from all of them? ( assume the heater is on working normally)

That is a Yes or No question.

If the answer is Yes, that can only be one problem, your hot water output is plumbed incorrectly to the cold water supply lines and vice versa.

Take a few pictures of the plumbing lines going in and out of the hot water heater. With the pictures you may get the help you need to fix this yourself. The better the information / pictures you supply, the quicker you get your resolution.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:18 AM   #8

Model: Fourwinds 24F
State: North Carolina
THOR #9511
This happened to me on our first outing. The cold and hot flexible lines in the slide were hooked up backwards even though they we clearly marked on how to connect them.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:55 AM   #9

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post
This happened to me on our first outing. The cold and hot flexible lines in the slide were hooked up backwards even though they we clearly marked on how to connect them.
Clearly implies one can read or comprehended hieroglyphics.

The statement from OP...perplexes to being laughable.
Unit has been to dealer and no one seems to be able to repair.
A. Did Dealer say that did not see where it sending HOT to to toilet or wrong side of all fixtures?

B. Did Dealer confirm it is sending HOT water to toilet and wrong side of all fixtures, but say they don't know or are unable to repair? If yes did they say why?

C. Or something else, like Unit was at Dealer for other repairs, and mechanic did not look at, or know to look at; and a lazy_I am too busy service writer just say they didn't find anything because they had nothing on the ticket to charge for?

D. Or did Mechanic not understand the ticket and just verified that OP had hot and cold water not fully understanding the problem?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-17-2022, 05:00 AM   #10

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
There is a blind fellow at our local Lowe's... when I need a specific plumbing fitting/connection etc., I seek him out before anyone else. He can "see" with his hands, and can "feel" sizes of fittings, pipes, etc. He knows his stuff!

My point is, how could a QUALIFIED RV repair facility not find this issue? I'm betting my Lowe's guy could figure it out in 10 minutes or less...
Old 05-17-2022, 09:11 AM   #11

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo12 View Post

^^^^ What Jimbo said....... and remember.....

Rule #1..... never..... never.... I repeat never trust anything Thor does!

Rule #2..... never..... never.... I repeat never trust anything a dealer does!

I just did an inverter upgrade and some rewiring so the inverter could power any circuit. After running into an issue with getting one of my A/C's to run on my new inverter and spending 30 minutes troubleshooting, I found Thor labeled the breakers for the two A/C's backwards.

My money's on they plumbed the hot and cold lines backwards as well.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:06 PM   #12

Model: 34E Hurricane
State: Michigan
THOR #25490
Your bypass valve at the water heater may be open allowing hot to cross into cold.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:12 PM   #13

THOR #26604
Unit going back in for another try at repair
June 7th

After further discussion unit was winterized and unwinterized by same dealer however same problem because it was winterized b4 repair was completed or checked cost of $165..

Hot water tank plug was replaced why I don’t know yet but now I have water dripping from plug.

House batteries weren’t installed properly or connected at the cost of $33..
Black and gray sensors don’t work dealer flushed out to zero when I left
Get to camp fill tanks clear water will not return to zero. Cost $125

Labor shortage excuse

Two years same problems
Thanks
Old 05-18-2022, 08:15 PM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
THOR #7035
Quote:
June 7th

After further discussion unit was winterized and unwinterized by same dealer however same problem because it was winterized b4 repair was completed or checked cost of $165..

Hot water tank plug was replaced why I don’t know yet but now I have water dripping from plug.

Labor shortage excuse

Two years same problems
Thanks
Ignore the sensor problem. Poor design that hasn't worked consistently in RVs for 50 years.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 08:56 PM   #15

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
If you are not comfortable working on your RV yourself, I would suggest you get a different repairman. The shop you are dealing with is peopled by ignoramuses.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 09:09 PM   #16

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Thanks again
Bull...roar(as My great grandma used to say when prezent company didn't allow for worse)

I don't know who to blame here.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 10:52 PM   #17

THOR #13058
Quote:
June 7th

Labor shortage excuse

Two years same problems
Thanks
This is better and more insight

I don't know your mental mindset or capabilities, but I can tell you what I would do.

I would plan to have all those items fixed or adequate responses from your network of Thor Forum users well before 6/7. If you willing to make effort you will get the help you need.

Also, IMO; I think you are better off to learn how to winterize and dewinterize your own RV. It is not about the money, but the time. I also believe that once you learn how to do it, you will see how easy it is and you will also be scared to death to leave it in the hands of some incapable dealerships. It is clear your dealership is useless short of knowing how to invoice.

My advice now... (if you are out of warranty?)

1. Forget what you have paid, it is sunk cost, don't complain let it go. Keep it positive with that Dealership just in case they do happen to be the last Dealer on earth one day

2. Get the manual for SOP on how to winterize / dewinterize your coach. If you don't have call Thor. Hopefully it will have pictures and diagrams. It is not complicated, all RV have same basic steps but valves and locations of thing vary. You call it a repair but it could be as simple as opening and closing the correct valves. Learn to take and upload pictures to the site. Worst case, you turn water pump off and reverse the outbound hot water to cold water supply.

3. Get picture of what you call hot water tank plug that was replaced that is now leaking? This will others from guessing at what you got and what you refer to.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:14 PM   #18

State: Virginia
THOR #18622
Water line switched

Mine were also switched. Look under your sink where the water lines are near the water heater switch the lines and all sinks will have normal hot left cold right.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:24 PM   #19

THOR #15410
Me too

Our new Dutchman was like this too. Water was plumbed backwards. I am seeing that this is a common problem. I think it boils down to no quality control at the factory, and no one seems to care
Old 05-21-2022, 11:31 PM   #20

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connieb View Post
Our new Dutchman was like this too. Water was plumbed backwards. I am seeing that this is a common problem. I think it boils down to no quality control at the factory, and no one seems to care
Is it assumptive that all of the plumbed backwards errors occurred at the factory?

What is Dealer was servicing or replacing a component to appease a quick sell and the haste caused this setup to be plumbed backwards? Somebody may have had to move the plumbing to get to something else?

Regardless, if these items are found at PDI no harm is really done. It is when long after the fact that this is odd or pose questions about whether warranty is still valid or not. It is a easy fix, that I would do myself though.