Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 02-04-2024, 04:53 AM   #21

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Since it was bought in March, in a temperate zone possibly without great chances of springtime long term freezes , I don't doubt that the op was told what they were told upon delivery.

I highly doubt, with great prejudice, that they were told to not winterize the vehicle at the beginning of every frost season. We're in that next frost season after their purchase.

And those saying to fall back onto the dealer as faulted...
Google how selective interpretation and ignorance of circumstance works.

Dealer has sold hundreds, the op has been slightly involved in one....

While having the heater fixed, op should pay an extra hour labor for an in-depth rv review now that the op has some experience to Help retain info.
Uneducated was the correct word for the situation. An hour of in-person review and this forum Will fix that fast based on op's very pleasant and thorough writing skill.

Wisconsin and no winterizing of every darn thing you own?

Call a residential flood clean-up company and get fans and heaters and an insurance claim started(if insurance will cover)
There was another thread where OP had bought a heated water hose and was hell bent on using it to a trip to Indiana with known zero degree temperatures in the forecast. It was as if he used the forum to get comfort that his idea was valid. He never came back, but it is a good assumption that he used selective interpretation from a few of the post to validate his plight. Assuming he tried the new heated hose, I wonder if he suffered a similar fate.

I agree with assumptions about what this OP may have been told in March. It is akin to when we 1st bought our pool, the pool company said we didn't have to worry about winterizing. Skipped the instructions on how to winterize, but he knew our controller would always force the pumps on to circulate water with freezing temperatures. But he didn't factor in what happens when you had both freezing temperatures and loss of power for week

2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 05:13 AM   #22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzette.diane@gmail.com View Post
700, I wish. It was $2500. Certainly cuts into vacation money. Lol.

Thanks for the info tho.
You got ripped off. A water heater is less than 500 and an hour or two to install. Your dealer took your vacation right out from under you.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:47 PM   #23

THOR #24216
Quote:
Originally Posted by fknapp View Post
I've replaces the on-demand WH twice in my 2017 Vegas 24.1 even after winterization and it costs $700 + for parts alone. The key is to disconnect Water Heater and physically blowing it out so there is NO residual water in the copper coils.
RK
The tankless water heater in our 2022 Quantum KW29 has an antifreeze feature for any residual water remaining in the coils where the burner will start for a brief period when the temperature falls below 38. I winterize the water system with compressed air but also use that feature as needed for extra insurance.
Old 02-04-2024, 03:18 PM   #24
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife View Post
The tankless water heater in our 2022 Quantum KW29 has an antifreeze feature for any residual water remaining in the coils where the burner will start for a brief period when the temperature falls below 38. I winterize the water system with compressed air but also use that feature as needed for extra insurance.
That feature only works if:

A - Power is available to the WH, and
B - Propane is available to the water heater
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 04:26 PM   #25

THOR #24216
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
That feature only works if:

A - Power is available to the WH, and
B - Propane is available to the water heater
A. check
B. check
Also a good idea to verify the WH ignites when switching it on. Sometimes ours will take an extra off/on cycle of the switch.
Old 02-05-2024, 11:00 AM   #26

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
You got ripped off. A water heater is less than 500 and an hour or two to install. Your dealer took your vacation right out from under you.
They may have been over charged but I suspect most of that bill was labor for checking out and repairing all the things that were broken or stressed by the freezing water. Remember the dumb ass dealer told them they did not need to winterize so more than just the water heater was subject to damage.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 06:40 PM   #27
MLP

State: California
THOR #17478
I do not live where I have to winterize, but am I wrong if the OP were to just dump the water out of the hot water tank and blow all the lines out he would be good to go? That includes not having any fresh water in the tank. He states that he goes out every two weeks in that freezing weather. If I had to winterize every two weeks and then de-winterize, I would wait for spring.
Old 02-05-2024, 06:54 PM   #28
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
I do not live where I have to winterize, but am I wrong if the OP were to just dump the water out of the hot water tank and blow all the lines out he would be good to go? That includes not having any fresh water in the tank. He states that he goes out every two weeks in that freezing weather. If I had to winterize every two weeks and then de-winterize, I would wait for spring.
In the OP's climate you have to remove water from all locations that may freeze, not just the water heater.

You can use the RV when winterized but just use bottled/container water instead of the onboard water system and make sure to put antifreeze in the waste tanks and dump them when done. You would have to shower in the bath house though.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote