Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-25-2021, 06:47 PM   #81

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I am taking my Chance with this one. Could not agree with you any more.

However, I am still a bit bewildered, because I have yet to see anyone say they are not enjoying their RV and would "NOT do it again"? ( not on this thread anyway)

Could it be that some are overreaching big brothers assessing what others may enjoy or not enjoy? If so; that may be classic self serving.

Anyhow...

Attached is a guide to Cheap RV living. Not that the source or their view for saving money is relevant, but mainly to highlight for the many that Cheap RV living is real and those that embark upon it can be just as happy and worry free.

I throw out an analogy that some may choose to buy an extended warranty for peace of mind to be worry free, but it does not mean that those that did not buy the extended warranty is with worry or lack a peace of mind state. Then you have others that may fall with my perspective as I specifically DID NOT buy an Extended warranty because for me; that is peace of mind, if something goes wrong I just pay to get it fixed by whoever I want. I don't have to worry about what may or may not be covered by a 3rd party warranty, and who may or may not do the actual repair.

https://rvlife.com/cheap-rv-living/

Happy Thanksgiving All ��
Nice

Go boondocking
The best things in life are free. Boondocking in unserviced sites is a great way to save money on camping fees. Some of the campsites are beautiful, with easy access to lakes or rivers for swimming or fishing. Other boondocking spots, like those in big box store parking lots, are definitely more suitable for a handy rest stop on a road trip.

Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 07:54 PM   #82

State: Massachusetts
THOR #23697
So true that is putting things into perspective!
Old 11-26-2021, 06:39 AM   #83

State: North Carolina
THOR #5951
Bottom line, ownership and usage are not mandatory.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:31 PM   #84

Model: Quantum JM31
State: Tennessee
THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunker21 View Post
I grew up with $0.25 a gallon fuel and have paid over $5.50 on trips. The alternative is not going which isn't a realistic alternative for us. If we didn't pay the $5.50 for a gallon of diesel in the Yukon Territory in 2016 then we couldn't have gone. We went and created great memories, and some pictures to boot. Do I waste my resources, NO. I shop and get what we want and need. Note needs and wants can be hard to differentiate at times. Like the thread began I have few regrets, can't say none because there have been. Most of the regrets probably involve things NOT done rather than things we DID do. Can't do it all but you can try.
Small world. We did Alaska in 2016 and spent considerable time in the Yukon, British Columbia, and Alberta. Maybe our paths crossed at one point or another. We were on the road for three months and had the time of our lives.
Bob Nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #85

THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
All said, that 1962 galaxy 500 seemed much faster because of the wonderful top notch steering and suspension! Anyone remember lean of the car in the corners! How about the nose dive when applying the breaks. The bouncy up and down with the soft ride.
We tend to remember the good and forget the bad.
Old 11-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #86

Model: Omni XG32 GONE for good
State: Alabama
THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Nodine View Post
Small world. We did Alaska in 2016 and spent considerable time in the Yukon, British Columbia, and Alberta. Maybe our paths crossed at one point or another. We were on the road for three months and had the time of our lives.
Very likely, our trip was 4 months, Alabama and back. We went with a fantasy tour that was "your way". 62 days and only 6 organized events. We planned each day based on research and suggestions from the wagon master. Later June to later August. July 4 in Whitehorse.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #87

THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLP View Post
When I was a kid in southern CA, I remember GAS WARS! The stations had hand made signs 8 cents a gallon! I remember going with the gas can to fill it for my dad for the lawn more with a quarter and getting 16 cents back. When I started driving gas was 24 cents the slowly went to 36 cents a gallon. A couple of years later we all spent hours in line for eight gallons with the middle east oil embargo.

As far a fuel for the rig, if you plan to stay a month someplace at a time, the cost of fuel is not much. Just think how much driving a car, hotels, three meals a day at restaurants would cost. I know. Been there and done that before getting an RV. Taking an RV is not that expensive when all is considered. And it is you own bed too! Now this excludes a bummer lemon RV.
I remember the same gas wars in North Carolina. You might find this chart interesting. If we can believe it we were paying the same for gas in 2015 as folks were in 1935 when you factor in inflation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-11-26 074848.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	35001  
Old 11-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #88

THOR #21926
Quote:
Very likely, our trip was 4 months, Alabama and back. We went with a fantasy tour that was "your way". 62 days and only 6 organized events. We planned each day based on research and suggestions from the wagon master. Later June to later August. July 4 in Whitehorse.
We were in Anchorage for July 4th. We did our own thing with 5 coaches. One from Florida, one from Georgia, one from North Carolina, one from Tennessee, and one from Oregon. Four coaches met up in Montana with the one from Oregon meeting us in Dawson Creek.
Old 11-26-2021, 01:04 PM   #89

THOR #22586
Quote:
We were in Anchorage for July 4th. We did our own thing with 5 coaches. One from Florida, one from Georgia, one from North Carolina, one from Tennessee, and one from Oregon. Four coaches met up in Montana with the one from Oregon meeting us in Dawson Creek.
Total of 18 RVs, most motorhome, 2 5th wheels. Interestingly no C. our group was adventurous and young at heart. We saw several of the fully guided caravans and it looked like they had emptied a FL nursing home. If we go back it will be on our own or maybe another RV at most. We saw a group of 3 Country Coach motorhome traveling together a few times. Once near Denali on a big roadside pullout which was nicer than the "rv park" we were at in town.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-26-2021, 03:05 PM   #90

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
If we can believe it we were paying the same for gas in 2015 as folks were in 1935 when you factor in inflation.
Proofs will be ignored in favor of romanticised memory.
Romanticism kills facts.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:21 PM   #91

THOR #22586
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Romanticism kills facts.
The dramatic increases we see as a result of unfriendly governments, sometimes it's our own, are not a romantic thought, it's facts and can't be ignored. When we as a country are self reliant it's better, when we depend on those unfriendly countries or coalitions like OPEC then we are in trouble. Another example of dependence is the computer chip issue. We in this country have all the capability to make our own but the powers to be decided to depend on others instead. Now we pay the price. Course a big part of the problem is consumers demanding the cheapest product without any concern as to reliability or sustainability.

Happy post Thanksgiving and hope you saved some pie for tomorrow's games.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 11-26-2021, 04:21 PM   #92

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:

....cut....
We in this country have all the capability to make our own but the powers to be decided to depend on others instead. Now we pay the price. Course a big part of the problem is consumers demanding the cheapest product without any concern as to reliability or sustainability.

......cut.....
Exactly, when manufacturing started going overseas, many of the higher-paying support jobs slowly followed. About 30 years ago I recall telling my wife that jobs like engineering, which were to remain in USA, would eventually move closer to manufacturing locations overseas as well. Now our younger generations have fewer opportunities for higher paying employment.

In my opinion the “powers to be” were those who wanted higher “short-term” return on capital investment, and really didn’t care what would happen decades later. Anyone who had investments in markets at that time benefitted from those short-term-oriented decisions, and now we may have to deal with some of the consequences. Long term extremely low-cost products from places like China were not sustainable as their economies grew stronger over time.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:58 AM   #93

THOR #21926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
Exactly, when manufacturing started going overseas, many of the higher-paying support jobs slowly followed. About 30 years ago I recall telling my wife that jobs like engineering, which were to remain in USA, would eventually move closer to manufacturing locations overseas as well. Now our younger generations have fewer opportunities for higher paying employment.

In my opinion the “powers to be” were those who wanted higher “short-term” return on capital investment, and really didn’t care what would happen decades later. Anyone who had investments in markets at that time benefitted from those short-term-oriented decisions, and now we may have to deal with some of the consequences. Long term extremely low-cost products from places like China were not sustainable as their economies grew stronger over time.
And now we have a nation largely based on the service industry like plumbers, electricians, truck drivers, construction, mechanics, restaurants, doctors, nurses, lawyers, etc. No longer can someone graduate from high school and go to work at a textile plant and then retire from there 40 years later. Today even professionals will find it difficult to remain at the same job location for more than five years. You may have a good job with a company only to loose it when that company is bought out by a larger company.
Old 11-27-2021, 01:41 PM   #94

THOR #22586
Quote:
And now we have a nation largely based on the service industry like plumbers, electricians, truck drivers, construction, mechanics, restaurants, doctors, nurses, lawyers, etc. No longer can someone graduate from high school and go to work at a textile plant and then retire from there 40 years later. Today even professionals will find it difficult to remain at the same job location for more than five years. You may have a good job with a company only to loose it when that company is bought out by a larger company.
Until we the people insist that we the USA produce the products, it's going to continue and get worse. I try my best to buy USA made, not assembled, products and buy local when possible. In many things that can't be done because the T-shirt factory is now in Viet nam, TV manufacturer in china or india. Heck even the CS rep on the phone is likely in Pakistan or similar.

I'm old and sadly feel I have seen the best this country was and feel sorry for what my children will face in the future. We are now dependent on countries and coalitions that don't like us and will readily make us subservient to them and in some cases already are. All for the short sighted personal gain and power.
2012 PT Crusader 355BHQ
Old 12-08-2021, 06:40 PM   #95

Brand: Still Looking
THOR #25354
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
Romanticism kills facts.
FACT: The spike in the 30's being referenced is during the depression and WW2. No Romanticism about it, gas prices are super high right now.... As far as I know we haven't been rationing supplies like during WW2, politics is the driving factor. But there is very little that can be done about it.