Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2017, 04:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds Hurricane 31D
State: Arizona
THOR #7741
Rough Ride - 2009 Thor Four Winds Hurricane 31D

Greetings!

I am having some issues with the ride on my 2009 Thor Four Winds Hurricane 31D. From what I have read online, the coach is basically considered a "starter model" and doesn't offer the most comfortable ride, but I think it is more than that...

Basically, when I am traveling along at interstate speeds, 65-75 mph, there is a pronounced "shake/bounce" in the steering column and whole front console. Its hard to explain, but you can actually even hear the steady "whump whump" that goes along with the physical shake/bounce.

I first thought it might be the road as it does not do it all the time... but I am thinking that is not the case. If I drive at 55 mph, I do not have any problems at all, but as I increase speed and hit 60, the shake/bounce starts and gets stronger and more pronounced the faster I go.

Not sure if it is related or a separate issue, but I can also feel every bump or defect in the road. On some of the rougher roads, it feels like the whole coach is going to fall apart... I have even had screws in the dash vibrate out!

Anyone have any thoughts as to what is going on or is this just how it is?

Old 09-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I'm certainly NOT a mechanic... but I'd take a look at tire pressures, and then wheel alignment, and tire balancing...
Good luck! Please let us know what does the trick!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:28 PM   #3

Model: Hurricane 27K
State: California
THOR #2544
Entry level or not, we paid good money for our coaches and I understand the need to make money, but I don't remember signing anything that said my Jeep Wrangler would ride far smoother and quieter than my Motorhome.

That said, check the date code on the tires. If they are the stock tires it may be time to change them out for new ones as it is going on 8 to 9 years. If the tires are good, try tire pressure and balancing. I got the 4 corner weights so I could run the exact pressure recommended. I've even heard of some tires being out of round from the factory. I bought Roadmaster sway bars and steering damper but it still is a terrible ride. The dealer told me last week that Koni shocks are the best because they are oil rather than gas, not sure I believe that one after he told me it would be $1500 for 4 shocks installed. I am thinking about Sumo Springs Maxims but not sure I want to continue throwing money at it.

Good luck and safe travels
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 07:49 PM   #4

Brand: Redwood
Model: 36FB
THOR #3610
Some will say I'm full of sh##, but it's the Ford chassis. Google "Ford death wobble".
I've driven Ford trucks for 30+ years at work & there was maybe 1 F150 out of 20 or so F150/250/350s that had a decent ride, comfortable seats or non white knuckle handling.
You WILL have to spend some $$$ to get it better.
And NO I'm not a Ford fan! Not trying to start a truck war, just my .02 cents.
Replacement undetermined
Travelin' Texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 PM   #5

THOR #7741
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucev View Post
Entry level or not, we paid good money for our coaches and I understand the need to make money, but I don't remember signing anything that said my Jeep Wrangler would ride far smoother and quieter than my Motorhome.
Amen to that!!!
Attached Images

Old 10-16-2017, 12:03 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #5840
My previous MH was a 1999 Holiday Rambler Admiral 30'. I felt every bump, expansion joint. The entire steering column and dash shook, not to mention everything stored in compartments. It was an F53 chassis with 13K miles. My current 2014 Hurricane 35' is on an F53 super duty chassis. It's a relatively smooth ride with none of the prior issues. Ford must have made changes along the way. Anyone know what they might have done to smooth out the ride?
Old 10-16-2017, 01:40 AM   #7

Model: Hurricane 34B
State: California
THOR #7571
I took my new-to-us 2011 on a cross country trip this June. The first couple days were exactly as you described. Horrible bouncing and slamming. It hadn't been noticeable in town, but up on the freeways it was terrible.

Did some research and found my tires were inflated by the dealer to 120 PSI. Recommended pressure for my weight was 82! Once I had access to a good compressor I dropped everything to 85 PSI and had a much more comfortable ride.

I second checking your tire pressures.
Old 10-16-2017, 01:48 AM   #8

Model: Hurricane 34E
THOR #5840
Yea, that would make for a rougher ride, but my tires on my old rig were at 85 psi. Definitely the chassis suspension. I don't have that problem on my current rig. I think there are a number of posts hear complaining about the same issue on older HM's.
Old 10-16-2017, 02:24 AM   #9

Model: outlaw 37ls
State: Europe
THOR #6831
bump rattle

when speed changes the shake, one or more tires is bad, it is gonna blow soon, it has shifted a belt, change the tires now
Old 11-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #10

THOR #7741
Was finally able to take the RV to a tire shop. The tires themselves are in great shape. The issue was related to a radial force variation (RFV) problem with the front wheels. They alinged the tire's high point to the wheel's low point, and rebalanced them.

No more bounce/shake going down the road at normal highway speeds. Nice and smooth now.