Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class B & B+ Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-03-2018, 06:40 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Its ok if you don't like or want leveling jacks but its also ok to want and like them. I had RV's years ago, and did the drive up on 2X4's to get level, always thought it was a monumental PITA. When we bought our 41 foot DP, it of course had jacks, which worked flawlessly for the eleven years we had that DP. The Gemini came with no stabilizers, no jacks, and I thought because of its small size, it wouldn't be that big a deal, plus we almost always stay in parks with paved sites. Wrong, even being a little off level was annoying, doors swung open or closed, AC dripped water in random places, plus the RV rocked every time anyone walked in it. I had a set of HWH hydraulic auto leveling jacks installed, and for me I would not want to be without them. I frankly do not know of any cases where jacks causes stress cracks or leaks, not to say it couldn't happen, but I suspect, when and if it does happen, its a pretty rare occurrence.

Old 08-03-2018, 06:57 PM   #22

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
True, they are nice when you need them. It's been my short experience the few times I've used them, I hear creaking throughout the coach...I think most people do. This is stress being applied somewhere. No proof that it contributes to leaks but leaks seem to be near the top of the list with issues. We dry camped at the Southern Nationals where the open field was anything but level. It was nice having them but the creaking sounds during deployment made my skin crawl. An old-timer here said something about never using auto-level, but to always use manual. That's what I do now and it seems to work a lot better.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #23
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I know that I love my leveling jacks!
I'd choose them over stabilizers every time... If I had the choice!

I even know why they are so expensive: it's because they're worth it!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 01:12 AM   #24

Model: 24SS
State: Colorado
THOR #6217
We have the 26 ft Jayco Melbourne on Sprinter chassis. It has a full-wall slide and stabilizers. No lift system. I like the stabilizers as we put them down before putting out the slide, after we are level. The stabilizers keep the unit from tilting or rocking, especially with the full-wall slide extended. Without the stabilizers, the motorhome would tilt when we put out the full-wall slide. They raise automatically when I forget about them and start the engine. Normally, I raise them prior to bringing in the slide.

2018 Jayco Melbourne
AZ/CO
Old 09-26-2021, 04:37 PM   #25

Model: 24fe
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #20046
Removing the Stabilizers from a Thor Sprinter

I just had levelers installed on my Thor Sprinter-based class C. I want to remove the stabilizers to save weight. My concern is the warning system that sounds if the ignition is on and the stabilizers are extended. The stabilizers just unbolt and that is not a problem. My question: How did you handle the wiring for the warning system after the stabilizers were removed?
Old 09-26-2021, 05:35 PM   #26

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbob View Post
I just had levelers installed on my Thor Sprinter-based class C. I want to remove the stabilizers to save weight. My concern is the warning system that sounds if the ignition is on and the stabilizers are extended. The stabilizers just unbolt and that is not a problem. My question: How did you handle the wiring for the warning system after the stabilizers were removed?

Just disconnect the warning tone generator. Or pull the fuse that was used to power the system in the first place. It’s almost certainly dedicated to just that one system. You must be pretty hard up against your GVWR to be wanting to save just that much weight
Old 09-27-2021, 04:03 AM   #27

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If I'm understanding this correctly: A stabilizing system will just hold the rig in place, and keep it from rocking...

While a leveling system actually has the muscles behind it, to pick the rig up, and keep it level...

It sounds as if the leveling system would be a superior setup. Is there a reason for choosing the stabilizing system instead?
Yeppers... Bob nailed it! Our 24F class C came with factory installed electric stabilizers (at both rear corners only).

They ARE NOT intended to be used to level the coach... and it is stated as such in the documentation. They are intended for stability... not leveling. The electric motors/screw drive gears are only robust enough for lifting the chassis a few inches at most.

That said... with a Mercedes van chassis being lighter, you most likely could cheat a little and do limited leveling. But you're certainly asking for trouble trying to level a 6 ton coach with electric stab jacks We would tweak our class C some, but not more than a couple inches.

Bottom line... if it's just stability you want (stop the rocking) - stabilizer jacks. But if you want leveling - other than using boards/blocks/pads - invest in a more expensive hydraulic leveling system.