Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Tuscany 45MX
State: Florida
THOR #16180
2018 Tuscany 45MX house battery size?

For countless reasons I am replacing my 6 house batteries in my 2018 Tuscany 45MX. As some may know, all of the batteries are located beneath the carpeted floor, inside the wardrobe closet, and accessing them is not very convenient to say the least.

Thor tells me that they are GC1 batteries, but for the life of me I can't find that size ANYWHERE. Has any 2018 Tuscany 45MX owner every replaced their house batteries? And if so, what did you replace them with? What size did you use??

I want to put some AGM's in there so I don't have to check water levels on 6 batteries every month that are located inside the coach, under the wardrobe closet floor. The engineer's from Thor should have their heads examined! If you are going to put ALL of the batteries inside an extremely inconvenient location, at least provide batteries that DO NOT require any maintenance.

OK venting is all done.
Thanks in advance for any input and helpful comments.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:18 PM   #2

Model: Chateau 31E
State: Mississippi
THOR #15488
A GC1 is a 6 volt golf cart battery. I'm not a Tuscany owner but I do own a golf cart.

Terry
Old 09-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
I'm wondering if you don't actually have access from the outside, as it's hard to believe a large coach such as yours has 'hidden' House batteries, especially those which need to vent and have water maintenance. Usually these large coaches actually have their House batteries on a sliding tray.

Also, 'where' does a 2018 Tuscany have any carpet?? Really?
Old 09-14-2019, 01:13 PM   #4

THOR #16180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
I'm wondering if you don't actually have access from the outside, as it's hard to believe a large coach such as yours has 'hidden' House batteries, especially those which need to vent and have water maintenance. Usually these large coaches actually have their House batteries on a sliding tray.

Also, 'where' does a 2018 Tuscany have any carpet?? Really?
The only access is through the floor of the wardrobe closet..... where the floor is covered with a piece of carpet...You remove the piece of carpet and you have access to the battery compartment. No slides, just top access. Its a horrible and I will say negligent design.
Let's just call it a designer flaw as I have heard that 2018 was the only year this occurred.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #5

THOR #4735
while it's your coach and I know you know where everything is, I'm like you and would wonder why a factory would install the batteries in such an odd place - I'm sure it was due to other factors, since the layout of your floorplan may have precluded the 'normal' place where they should be housed.

I'm confused, though, as you mentioned 'below the wardrobe', as the wardrobe is in the bedroom slide, right? How could something then be 'below' the floor of the wardrobe? Is the floor elevated? If it's in the slide, how would the battery wiring 'move' when the slide is moved? Where is this 'carpet' you mention, in the bottom of the wardrobe?

I guess maybe if you took pictures and showed us we might get a better idea of what you are referring to... yes - I'm confused too!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #6

THOR #16180
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

I'm confused, though, as you mentioned 'below the wardrobe', as the wardrobe is in the bedroom slide, right? How could something then be 'below' the floor of the wardrobe? Is the floor elevated? If it's in the slide, how would the battery wiring 'move' when the slide is moved? Where is this 'carpet' you mention, in the bottom of the wardrobe?

I guess maybe if you took pictures and showed us we might get a better idea of what you are referring to... yes - I'm confused too!
So the very back of the coach isn't on the slide. The wardrobe closet sits right on top of the engine, so the "closet" section of the bathroom is stationary.... it's only the vanities that are part of the slide. The shower and closet do not move.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:58 PM   #7

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
This is a bit odd, the only MX I have been in had the full closet across the back and batteries under the slide in a compartment

The wardrobe was above in the slide

Something is wrong
Old 09-14-2019, 03:09 PM   #8

THOR #16180
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
This is a bit odd, the only MX I have been in had the full closet across the back and batteries under the slide in a compartment

The wardrobe was above in the slide

Something is wrong
I have been told that 2018 was the only year they did this with the battery location. It's the most insane thing. Since this is our 1st coach, I don't have much to compare to, but be that as it may, this is my situation.
There is NO other access to the battery compartment than to slide the wardrobe door open (2 mirrored doors on slide tracks) remove the piece of carpet that Thor has placed on the bottom of the wardrobe closet, then access the hatch door to gain top access to all 8 batteries (2 12V chassis, 6 6V house batteries)
It's like an episode of The Twilight Zone
Old 09-14-2019, 06:11 PM   #9

THOR #6903
That is truly insane and perhaps why the shorter GC1 instead of GC2

If the budget will allow change to AGM

Curious as to where this battery bay vents to?
Old 09-14-2019, 06:15 PM   #10

THOR #4735
It seems that in a very few floorplan layouts you can have a scenario where there really isn't 'any good place' for many batteries to travel with you, so therefore the factory has to design some place, though it may be aggravating when you need to access them, that is sufficient for them.
While it would seem that these big rigs have 'plenty' of space and roominess, apparently the configuration of the side-mount radiator has removed much of the space that was once used for the battery storage. Most Tuscany's of the past had a rear-mount radiator and didn't have this same issue, though the opposite was true for those - the engine was not accessible at all from the rear - only from the BOTTOM! (as with most of our diesel pushers)... it's a give and take, I assume.
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #11

THOR #16180
Quote:
that is truly insane and perhaps why the shorter gc1 instead of gc2

if the budget will allow change to agm

curious as to where this battery bay vents to?
so am i!!??
Old 09-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #12

THOR #16180
Quote:
That is truly insane and perhaps why the shorter GC1 instead of GC2

If the budget will allow change to AGM

Curious as to where this battery bay vents to?
And I haven't found a single GC1 anywhere. GC2, much easier to find. I have to get some real measurements, as I'm sure there has to be room. I know there is a small gap between each battery now, and it looks like I may be able to fit GC2s... just have to make sure before I drop some coin on 6 of them.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:39 AM   #13

Model: DX 40
State: Oklahoma
THOR #12998
We have a 2018 40 DX and we added a single point fill system for the batteries. This has really made life much easier
Old 09-22-2019, 11:29 AM   #14

THOR #6903
Sure would like to see photos of the battery bank under the back wardrobe, amazing and crazy