Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-09-2019, 04:14 AM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE
State: Maryland
THOR #3709
Thor ACE 30.2 Questions

I have a 2016 Thor 30.2 ACE that we purchased new. The hole(s) behind your entrance door is where there was a latch so that you could hook the door open and just close the screen door. I can take a photo of it tomorrow if you would like. You should be able to get a direct replacement from Total RV in Elkhart.

I see where someone already answered the question about the Switch. Yes, it is the 110 Water Heater Element. I usually heat the water with propane, then when it is hot, I turn off the propane and turn on the electric to maintain. However, if we are taking showers, dishes, we leave the propane on since it is quicker recovery.

As far as your inverter, it is located in the panel under the left side of the bed. Just look down when you walk from the bathroom to the bedroom, its right there. I hope that you enjoy your 30.2 as much as we do !

Old 06-10-2019, 04:40 AM   #22

Model: Hurricane 29X
State: Washington
THOR #1191
Open hole

Do you have a cabinet with your switch box straight up from that hole (on the inside naturally)? If so, the previous owner may have used that for coax connection to run to the switch box or maybe from the switch box for a portable outside TV. Just a thought.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:39 AM   #23

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Can’t speak for anything after 2017, but I have a 2017 ACE 30.2 and it does NOT have an inverter. Mine only has a converter. I’ve thought about installing one; however, it would be important to closely monitor house batteries with an inverter, especially on the ACE. Most coaches that have factory installed inverters also have AGS (auto-generator start) that monitors the level of the house batteries. This feature starts the generator automatically when the house batteries drain to a preset level, and the generator charges them back up. Without AGS, I would imagine you would need to check your house batteries in fairly short intervals with a multi-meter.
Old 06-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #24

Model: A.C.E. 30.2 Bunkhouse
State: Kentucky
THOR #8259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hummel View Post
I have a 2016 Thor 30.2 ACE that we purchased new. The hole(s) behind your entrance door is where there was a latch so that you could hook the door open and just close the screen door. I can take a photo of it tomorrow if you would like. You should be able to get a direct replacement from Total RV in Elkhart.

I see where someone already answered the question about the Switch. Yes, it is the 110 Water Heater Element. I usually heat the water with propane, then when it is hot, I turn off the propane and turn on the electric to maintain. However, if we are taking showers, dishes, we leave the propane on since it is quicker recovery.

As far as your inverter, it is located in the panel under the left side of the bed. Just look down when you walk from the bathroom to the bedroom, its right there. I hope that you enjoy your 30.2 as much as we do !
Steve,
Are you sure that’s an inverter on your 30.2? Mine only has a converter. The converter “converts” shore and generator power (AC current) into useable electricity for charging your batteries and/or any other 12 volt system you have (DC current). An inverter does the opposite - it inverts DC current (from the house batteries) to useable AC current for the appliances in the rig. An inverter allows you to power certain appliances and electronics using only the house batteries. My 2017 does not have this feature. If it’s supposed to, I’m calling Thor! Ha!
Old 06-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #25

Model: Miramar 35.3
State: Texas
THOR #218
Inverter?

drzoomin, if you will contact Thor Customer Service (877-855-2867) with your VIN, they can answer your inverter question very quickly. Another very helpful resource is go to www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/, click on "Owners Resources" and there is all kinds of information specific to your MH. Every request I have ever made to Thor for diagrams, etc. has been promptly provided.
5 Star Tuner, Blue Ox, Towtector
PMSPKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #26

Model: ACE
State: Maryland
THOR #3709
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockChuck92 View Post
Steve,
Are you sure that’s an inverter on your 30.2? Mine only has a converter. The converter “converts” shore and generator power (AC current) into useable electricity for charging your batteries and/or any other 12 volt system you have (DC current). An inverter does the opposite - it inverts DC current (from the house batteries) to useable AC current for the appliances in the rig. An inverter allows you to power certain appliances and electronics using only the house batteries. My 2017 does not have this feature. If it’s supposed to, I’m calling Thor! Ha!
Chuck, you are correct, it is a CONVERTER. We can only operate the 12 volt lighting, etc., if the generator is not running or plugged into shore power. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:01 PM   #27

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
No guess as to what was there, but If I were repairing them and couldn't come up with a good purpose...like a light...then rather than just using caulk alone I'd find a small plate, metal or plastic, and screw or rivet it into place sealed with butyl or eternabond.

I've also seen folks put a small vent louver over repairs to disguise them
Old 06-16-2019, 08:17 PM   #28

State: Idaho
THOR #15465
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSPKS View Post
drzoomin, if you will contact Thor Customer Service (877-855-2867) with your VIN, they can answer your inverter question very quickly. Another very helpful resource is go to www.thormotorcoach.com/owners/, click on "Owners Resources" and there is all kinds of information specific to your MH. Every request I have ever made to Thor for diagrams, etc. has been promptly provided.
Thanks for that information. Didn't know that website existed. My MH didn't come with any manual and now I have them all!! Thanks for sharing!

Caleb
Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 PM   #29

Brand: Keystone
Model: Sprinter
THOR #15553
Quote:
Originally Posted by drzoomin View Post
Recently purchased a new-to-me Thor Ace 30.2 Class A motorhome. Just came from a 2009 Class C Sunseeker. Love the layout of the 30.2 with bunk beds and cab over bed to sleep my five kids. It is awesome and we love it. I bought it from a dealership who really specializes in boats and just dabbles in newer RV's, so help from them is lacking, at best.

When I brought the coach home, I noticed a hole just behind the door. It is pretty deep and has a couple of screws close as well. Just wondering what it was that was once there and what should be done to close the hole along with the screw holes (that don't appear to be sealed properly either). I tried looking at pictures of other 30.2 models, and it appears that it should not be there.

Thanks in advance.
If you have a residential fridge you have an inverter. Chances are you have one anyway.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:18 PM   #30

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: Michigan
THOR #9522
I just wish the outlets near the bed were also on the inverter. To run my wife's CPAP we run a cord to the bedroom TV outlet when boondocking.
1977 Tioga 24 foot RV
petefoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:30 PM   #31

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Very interesting. On our 2012 Serrano the outlets by the bed are on the inverter! Somebody must have complained that they wanted to sleep next to the TV with their CPAP, so they changed it!?! The same circuit also feeds the front dash on ours which is convenient for laptop usage while traveling.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:06 PM   #32

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
Very interesting. On our 2012 Serrano the outlets by the bed are on the inverter! Somebody must have complained that they wanted to sleep next to the TV with their CPAP, so they changed it!?! The same circuit also feeds the front dash on ours which is convenient for laptop usage while traveling.
If your coach has an outside kitchen, then it has an inverter. If you have a coach without an outside kitchen then it does NOT have an inverter. The does not apply to the plant 750 higher in coaches or the Outlaws. My coach also had the front bed duplex 120 volt receptacles wired through the inverter. The rear bed receptacle is daisy chained to the dresser table, USB receptacles, and the RV fridge. I rewired the coach so that the inverter powers everything through a sub panel except the GFCI circuit.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #33

Model: Serrano
THOR #8144
Jim & Roy, You quoted my post. Are you saying that I don't have an inverter if I don't have an outside kitchen? Or are you still responding to the previous post? Because the FACT is that I do have an 800W inverter and it IS wired as I stated.Thanks.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #34

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford1 View Post
Jim & Roy, You quoted my post. Are you saying that I don't have an inverter if I don't have an outside kitchen? Or are you still responding to the previous post? Because the FACT is that I do have an 800W inverter and it IS wired as I stated.Thanks.
Sorry I should have been clearer. The higher end coaches are made in plant 850 where yours was made. Currently current plant 850 products are a Maramar, Challenger, Outlaw, Palazzo, Aria, Venetian and the Tuscany. Lower end coaches are made in plant 750, Freedom Traveler, ACE, Hurricane and Windsport. The class Cs are made in plant 650.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote