Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-22-2017, 03:12 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.4
State: Oregon
THOR #4548
Angry Whoops Generator Primer Switch Accidentally Left on For Four Days Now What???

Hi All,

It's my 2017 Vegas 25.4. Just got home from a trip on Tuesday and didn't realize till today, Saturday, that I accidentally hit the generator primer switch on the dashboard till I was walking past rig and heard a clicking sound in the rear. I found the dashboard switch was red as was the place on the control panel that shows the hours on the generator. I had trouble trying to turn it off at the dashboard and the control panel. When I opened the generator cabinet, I saw the switch was on (red), and it took some doing to finally get it to disengage.

So, now what? It's been running for four days straight. The generator itself was not on right? So, how can I see the extent of any damage I've done? What to do next?

Any thoughts/advice/insight much appreciated.

karwask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
First I would check the oil level, if it’s high then you have gasoline in the crankcase which is overflow from the carburetor. You will need to change the oil and filter, if you have gas in the oil. If the oil looks good then the float valve in the carburetor did it’s job and you should be in good shape. Start your generator and let it run for a while, should be ok. Replace the bad switch and relax.

The worst case scenario is gas in the oil, ( just change it) maybe a damaged pump (not a big deal and very unlikely), and you have to replace the switch.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:51 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
This seems odd to me: Getting our genny to prime you have to hold the start/stop switch. Is there an actual "prime" switch right on the genny that you could accidentally leave on? (honestly haven't looked behind the genny panel enough to see.)

Unless you left something leaning on the start/stop switch holding it in the "Stop" position--or did it get stuck that way? (I can see the switch being defective or some debris making it sticky)
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
The primer function on ours is the "Press and hold" part of the start switch for things... what am I missing here?
Yeah: fuel in the oil (and perhaps a whole bunch of it dumped in the generator compartment), should be the "worsetest" case: good luck!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:53 PM   #5

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
On our former DP, to prime the generator, you held the stop start switch in the off or stop position, which would prime it. Nothing you could leave on, as it was a spring loaded rocker switch. Current generator is propane, needs no priming. We rarely use the generator, then only for short periods of time, so I opted for propane this time for less maintenance.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #6

THOR #4548
Unhappy Thanks All and Turns Out There is a Problem Not That I "Accidentally" Turned it On!

Hi All,

Thanks so much for help and feedback. Yes, there is gas in the oil. As suggested, I did smell it out and confirmed that this is the case. I had a friend come over to try and help and, in the process, the prime button again lit up, the red light near where the number of hours on the generator shows up and the red light at the generator itself all on and stuck on for a long time.

It took me awhile and I remembered that it was difficult to shut the priming thing the first time at the generator but I did move around the wire harness to the left of it and that seemed to help it shut off then. I tried that this time too and it didn't immediately shut it off but after pressing the button again it did. At another point in time, we got it to shut off when we accidentally moved the cover.

So, I am concluding, as you all have suggested (yes it's a toggle switch that you have to hold down to activate; the prime one at the dashboard) that I probably didn't "accidentally" turn it on but something is wrong with wiring or something else instead.

I'll take it to the shop along with all of the other misc items that need attention to have it repaired, under warranty.

Remaining questions:

1. We did try to see if there was a fuse to disconnect the primeing button but couldn't find it.

2. Folks have mentioned about a possible "faulty relay" and we couldn't find that either.

Do either or both of these things exist?

thanks again,

Oh, and we were not able to get the generator to start, needless to say
Old 11-02-2017, 09:40 PM   #7

THOR #4548
Question Update Generator Primer Malfunction

Hi All,

When I went to try to arrange to have this looked into at the RV dealership where it was purchased, I was told it was a generator issue, therefore warranty covered by Cumins. I just got it there this am.

Does what they are concluding make sense to you all?

They concluded that it's a wiring issue that the wiring was very wet. It makes sense that it was wiring as when I moved the harness around the button that would otherwise not turn off, finally did. They put something on there, gel?, and they drained the oil/gas mixture and will refill. They do not take responsibility for this work and will be charging me something around $214. They suggest it's a manufacturer problem/defect that the generator is exposed and subject to be being splashed.

I have to admit to not being impressed with the guy who called trying to explain this to me. At first he said there needs to be a mud flap to protect the gennie from the rear tire and then I had to inform him that there is a mud flap there!!! Then he said something like they shouldn't install a non enclosed gennie behind the rear tire so what's a girl to conclude that all Thor Vegas/Axis's are defective in this way and will eventually have this problem?

What makes sense to you all? I have just left a VM message with my service guy at the RV dealership where it was purchased and let's see if he'll go for taking responsibility for this or not.

Might one conclude that it's more difficult to get reimbursed this way for warranty work then if I let the two companies duke it out among themselves?

thanks all,

- karen:
Old 11-02-2017, 11:08 PM   #8
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Call Thor and tell them you want to be reimbursed for this Thor manufacturing defect which should be covered by the Thor warranty.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:59 PM   #9

Model: Gemini 23TR
State: California
THOR #6701
The problem with letting them "duke it out" is that it may take longer than you would like to get repairs if ever. I think thats their design of the whole warrantee system. The manufacturer should make repairs in a timely manner and then they deal with their suppliers rather than leave it to the purchaser. They have a relationship with their suppliers, we don't.