Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #21
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Good luck! Please let us know how things proceed from here.

Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:31 PM   #22
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrollco View Post
I have made contact With TMC and the process has begun.
Thanks for all the help good, bad or indifferent,
Ben
Make sure Thor knows you are going to be in a location away from the selling dealer and that returning to the dealer for warranty repairs may not be possible.

Two things I learned during my 20 years on active duty are;

1. If it's not inspected it's neglected
2. Failure to follow-up is failure

Inspect every part of that coach and send the list to Thor. Some things under warranty are time sensitive such as fit and finish items may only be warrantied for 30 days from delivery. It is apparent the coach was not inspected by the dealer or you prior to delivery.

Once the list is sent to Thor, follow-up with phones calls to make sure they got the list. If you're going through Indiana consider an appointment at the Factory Service Center for the repairs. There is no way I'd trust your dealer to repair a coach they seriously neglected in the first place.

Was this by chance a Camping World or Gander Outdoors?
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #23

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Venetian L40
State: California
THOR #19730
Not camping world

It was a large RV dealer in Southern California with 3 locations.
Old 07-30-2020, 01:51 AM   #24

State: Florida
THOR #15668
First time coach buyer.. Also learned buying a coach isnlike buying a house that you drive around around.. Hmmm.
Would you buy you house without a home inspection?

Now take the last home you bought put it on wheels and drive 2k miles. Think some parts might come loose?

Definitely agree though, auto industry has replicable quality with robotics. rv industry is 10 years behind...
May be Tesla might change that.... Stay tuned...
Old 07-30-2020, 02:09 AM   #25

Model: Miramar 37.1
State: California
THOR #12698
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you have had such a bad experience. Hopefully things will turn around for both of you. I you have any questions about your motor home/systems just ask here. Someone will have an answer for you.

Paul
Old 07-30-2020, 03:48 AM   #26

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
You are correct. The dealer sucks. The industry is as sleazy as they come.
That is why I ask why do We accept this.
My situation is very unique and the dealer saw that.
I needed a way to get my wife from California To Florida for the Medical trial she is doing without putting her or I in any undue exposure situation.
She has Major Autoimmune problems not to mention I am a disabled Former Marine that due to the service injury I am missing ribs and have reduced lung capacity.
Politics aside Covid is not something we are willing to risk our life for.

We decided the safest way to do this was to be self contained In a coach.

Having never owned a coach before we started looking for something close by. Closest we could find was 4.5 hours south of us.

After speaking on the phone with the salesman who was also a former marine he assured me that they have several former marines working there and I could rest assured they had my back. Marines take care of there own he says. HAHAHAHA Mistake number one.

We negotiated a price and agreed to drive down to finalize paperwork and take the coach home. We were also told they understood our reluctance to spend a lot of time at the dealership because of our issues and that they would make sure they followed all guidelines to lesson our worries.

She signed what she had to and went back to the car while I dealt with the upscale bullcrap.

I get through that process and finally am handed off to a different guy who takes me to the coach.
I tell him this is our first coach and would like a complete run down of the coach and its systems.

So my question again is Why do “We” accept this.

I have purposely left out names and not posted on general social media site about this because I believe that a business should have the ability to correct any issues prior to being slammed in what sometimes can be a very one sided platform.

The thought of taking my coach back to the dealer who helped in this shell game is horrifying.
?
I think you have just answered why you accepted this coach and you are complicit in why the RV industry is perceived flawed with quality issues. Why wouldn't you name this Dealer to protect others? Think of it like this, why do telemarketers exist, why are there robocalls and spam? Well the truth is there are countless numbers of people that will answer, buy from, and vote based on the what most view as harassing calls; and each that do will have their own reasoning for doing so; which is there right. If you click on my name and look at my first posts on this cite you will see that I constantly was posting posts almost identical to yours but with one subtle difference. I never signed. I had checks written ready go, I had embarrassed myself by telling friends that I had bought my 1st RV, we had driven hundreds of miles on multiple occasions only to go home empty. Sales Managers at these Dealerships are smart enough to know when they are making profits or not, some coaches they drop down so low they just want to get rid. If you do what we did, which was walk out the door empty handed, they don't cry, they just put the RV back up for sale before you make it to your car and wait for someone who do what you just did and that is accept it.

My advice... no pun intended "Accept what you have already Accepted", Let the Dealer fix anything that they may and/or then go to Thor for the balance. They should fix warranty items, don't know if they are required to fix defects that would have noted at PDI.

FWIW, we never did find a Thor at the dealers we were shopping at that could past our PDI. Nor could we get a dealer to sign for the things that should be fixed. Folks on this site told us to run from those dealers as fast as we could. We then go to Florida looking at 2019 Winnebago that was freaking flawless (relatively speaking). We bought and could not be happier.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #27

Model: Venetian M37
THOR #10920
To Carrollco. Your posts are “Spot On”. I share your pain. I have a similar MH also purchased from a mega dealer. Will say after 14 days that you have not yet identified all problems.

Dealer response was atrocious at best. Times delays were long. Dealer kept trying to blame the manufacturer. TMC was mostly helpful and their Tech Support continues to be so. Dealer response and workmanship so poor that would not buy TP from them.

I finally gave up. Did repairs I could myself. Found good RV shop and spent well in excess of $10k to remedy most problems. To mention a few: replaced leaking hydraulic lines, slide seals, rear ladder, etc.

I am now mostly satisfied with the MH.

You are certain pursuing issue correctly and honorably. Dealer first and TMC involved. If possible suggest to you take several quick trips to isolate other problems before warranty expiration.

Would also suggest that you do the following:

1. Carefully document each problem.... you are probably well on the way to this.
2. Document problem in writing and provide each to dealer and TMC... make certain you document date provided.
3. Document dealer and TMC response to each problem... get it in writing if possible.

Hope all gets worked out to your satisfaction. Last step is get attorney involved.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:45 PM   #28

THOR #13816
I am so sorry for your experience, and I wish the best for your wife and you. Please do keep us updated. I believe Thor will do right by you.

Pam
Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer, Koni shocks
Pabs4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #29

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
Patience and Perseverance are what you need

Documentation and follow up and eventually you will get close if not whole

Staying positive is an absolute must
Old 07-30-2020, 09:41 PM   #30
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Amen...
Old 07-30-2020, 11:40 PM   #31

THOR #10920
Pam..... do you think TMC will fix my cabinets pulling away from the wall? Or, put a vent in the shower so that it drains properly? TMC is marginally acceptable. The dealer, well you saw my previous comments. If I was on a budget, I would be in trouble.

Carrollco is absolutely correct. We need industry “Quality Standards”.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #32

Model: Palazzo 36.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #13712
Quote:
I have made contact With TMC and the process has begun.
Thanks for all the help good, bad or indifferent,
Ben
Good luck and we hope TMC resolves your issues and get's you on the go again. It is really a great lifestyle with great people supporting you - sometimes it may not seem it with a dose of tough "love" by some. but the vast majority of us are there when needed.

Enjoy the journey, one day at a time!
Chuck and Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:01 PM   #33

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
Thor will not stand by their product. What they will do is let you schedule a factory visit and then charge you to correct the deficiencies from the assembly line.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:35 PM   #34
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
... Only if your warranty has expired.
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:59 PM   #35

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
... Only if your warranty has expired.
I'm out of warranty and have no problems but can you clarify for others?
Are you saying Thor factory won't do warranty work?

I haven't read this before so I'm totally clueless...and I consider others will be the same.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:35 PM   #36

Model: Hurricane 35m
State: North Carolina
THOR #13505
wobbly box on wheels built by thor in a day!!

Gotta find a bad ass repair site that does thor repairs!

Tom and his crew at Subaru dealership in Cherry Point New Burn NC freaking Rock!!

Has changed my mine on this 2nd thor I bought!!
Old 08-01-2020, 05:58 PM   #37

THOR #10920
To Carrollco. Make certain that you take your coach for a drive in the rain. Then check to see if bays are full of water. Two potential problem areas: Door seals(easy to fix) and floor not sealed(tough to fix).

Also check to assure cabinets and counter tops not pulling away from the wall.

Take care and enjoy once you get all the problems resolved.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #38

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
THOR #13058
If you really serious about right the wrong and/or misses, you will download this guide created by Ed Felker.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f1...nual-4961.html

It was written for Axis but you can make it apply aby RV. I used it for any RV that we there thinking we were serious about (EVEN BEFORE PDI we looked for things).

Most salesmen that saw us with that checklist started to tell us not to worry because about things needing fix, because the make ready guys will see all of that when you ready to buy

Be prepared IF Dealer / TMC say some defects are not covered under warranty. Depends on simplicity and cost they may say some items noted could have occurred after PDI, especially if you are looking at scuffs and blemishes. On the other hand we put in a claim for new grill that had a dent. I found a picture I took before buying that show the box had damage. It is not resolved yet, but Winnebago is making the Dealer replace. It is suppose to be in order.

Good luck
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:46 PM   #39

Model: Hurricane 34R
State: Indiana
THOR #19887
Early in my RV life I learned that a good dealer is as important and some cases more important than the brand and model you chose.
Just an example, the 2021 Hurricane 34R that we just bought has only 260 miles but my dealer (which is a small local family owned dealer from which this is the third unit that I bought from them) found 42 (!) items to be fixed...
Some items are small but some need the equipment and expertise the dealer have to fix. These are 42 items that I'll not have to deal with.

Bottom line, find a dealer that is willing to work the extra mile to have the coach right.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:07 PM   #40
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Congratulations! You got yourself a winner!