Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-08-2021, 05:58 AM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
State: Colorado
THOR #21400
Windsport 29M and 31C: cargo carry capacity?

Looking at Windsport 29M and 31C: what are their cargo carry capacities?

31C has washer/dryer prep and walk-in closet. The walk-in-closet looks nice, but lose a lot of storage wardrobe. Is there a way to change it for maximum storage (keep washer/dryer, and remove walk-in) like other floorplans?

Any differences between Hurricane and Windsport?

Some (or many) people recommend staying away from Thor? What is it all about? Know that all RVs have issues.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:28 AM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: California
THOR #20541
Before I bought my rig (34J) I had similar questions. I was able to do a google image search to find some dealers will post a picture of the cargo capacity sticker. Here is a link for the 29M it looks like it can carry about 2200 pounds. I'm sure other owners on here could tell you what theirs say as well.

https://images.app.goo.gl/sPk8VEwqghiQNbup9

Remember that ANYTHING you bring into your rig counts against this weight limit.

I don't have the washer/dryer so cannot help there.

Hurricane and Windsport are virtually the same, the different brand names allow dealers in close proximity to each sell the similar product. Floor plans are the same. There are very minor differences in color options and the headlights look different. Our preference was the Winsport.

We have had ours for almost a year and have a few friends that have owned them longer. We are happy with our purchase and haven't had any major issues to report. We did buy a Camper's Edge warranty for a bit more peace of mind but haven't needed it since we are still under warranty. Our local dealer (we bought from a different one out of state) has been fantastic with even the smallest fit and finish issues and helped with a couple other issues that were covered under the warranty. As you mentioned these are complicated machines with many 3rd party components bundled together so you have to reasonably assume some things will go wrong over time. As long as you have a good understanding for how things work so you don't do any damage yourself, and you have a good dealer to help you with service, I think you'll be very happy with your purchase.

Good luck!
Old 01-08-2021, 10:40 PM   #3

THOR #21400
Thanks. It is good idea to google images for CCC, but could not find for 31C. It is very hard to find a perfect RV. I thought 31C was perfect until I found out it has walk-in closet which takes away 1/3 wardrobe storage. Like a small class A RV with washer/dryer. 31C is the only one I can find. 31C should have option for non-walk-in closet.

Is 29M 50 amp? I look at its spec, there is a power option. Other brand 30amp coach does not have the option.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:23 PM   #4

State: North Carolina
THOR #19102
I own a 29m and would be happy to answer any questions on it. Mine is a 2020 so I have the v10. Most 2021 model years have the new v8. Like stated, my sticker states 2190lbs of payload. I think at one point you could get the 29m with a single ac but ours is dual ac 50 amp.
Old 01-08-2021, 11:37 PM   #5

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I have a 29M, mine is a 2018. My DW believes in bringing everything imaginable and after loading and weighing we are hundreds of pounds below the max axle weights front and back. I wouldn't worry about the CCC of the coach. I would be more worried about the lack of build quality that is endemic across the Thor Industries product line. Yes, all coaches have issues, but the folks that build Thor coaches have to be the least trained and qualified assemblers in all of America.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:11 AM   #6

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-RV View Post

31C has washer/dryer prep and walk-in closet. The walk-in-closet looks nice, but lose a lot of storage wardrobe. Is there a way to change it for maximum storage (keep washer/dryer, and remove walk-in) like other floorplans?
Some (or many) people recommend staying away from Thor? What is it all about? Know that all RVs have issues.
The 29M is on the 190" 18,000 lb chassis where the new 31C is on the 228" 22,000 lb chassis.

Windsport and Hurricane are the same except for the front and rear caps. The names are different because of state requirements for dealer exclusivity areas. Freedom Traveler, ACE, Hurricane and Windsport are all made in plant 750 on the same production line.

Thor Industries builds over 60% of all the motor coaches built of the and Plant 750 rolled 2,281 class A coaches into the delivery lot in model year 2019. It stands to reason the produced there fair share of coaches with problems. Each of the 19 Thor plants operate as a separate entity. Problems with one plants products will should not be a condemnation of all Thor Industries Products Alter all Airstream and Entegra Luxury Diesels are also two of Thor Industries RV factories and both have outstanding reputations

My 5 year old coach has had a total of three problems, The electric function of the water heater failed after 5 month, the dash power ports lost power and the patio awning LEDs began to go out. All were fixed by a Jayco dealer under the Thor MC warranty.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 12:14 AM   #7

THOR #21400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campnjoe View Post
I own a 29m and would be happy to answer any questions on it. Mine is a 2020 so I have the v10. Most 2021 model years have the new v8. Like stated, my sticker states 2190lbs of payload. I think at one point you could get the 29m with a single ac but ours is dual ac 50 amp.
Thanks for 2190lbs CCC. 50 amp with 2 AC(s) is nice.

Noticed one difference between Hurricane and Windsport. From 360 degree views, Hurricane has vents on floor, and windsport does not. Is this true?

I did not see an exhaust fan above cooktop. Is there one below the microwave? is the exhaust fan, if any, push smell outside, or just internal circulation?

For 29M, is there a place to store a portable washer with spinner? one like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TC4PDTZ...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Size: 24.8 x 15 x 28.5 inches
Old 01-09-2021, 12:24 AM   #8

THOR #21400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
The 29M is on the 190" 18,000 lb chassis where the new 31C is on the 228" 22,000 lb chassis.

Windsport and Hurricane are the same except for the front and rear caps. The names are different because of state requirements for dealer exclusivity areas. Freedom Traveler, ACE, Hurricane and Windsport are all made in plant 750 on the same production line.

Thor Industries builds over 60% of all the motor coaches built of the and Plant 750 rolled 2,281 class A coaches into the delivery lot in model year 2019. It stands to reason the produced there fair share of coaches with problems. Each of the 19 Thor plants operate as a separate entity. Problems with one plants products will should not be a condemnation of all Thor Industries Products Alter all Airstream and Entegra Luxury Diesels are also two of Thor Industries RV factories and both have outstanding reputations

My 5 year old coach has had a total of three problems, The electric function of the water heater failed after 5 month, the dash power ports lost power and the patio awning LEDs began to go out. All were fixed by a Jayco dealer under the Thor MC warranty.
Thanks. How about the quality of Entegra class A gas coach like vision? Looked at vision 29F. It has fiberglass roof better than TPO. but it has only about 1800 lbs ccc. water + gas + propane almost reaches the CCC limit. Usually how to deal with such low CCC in RV industry?

What makes a bus able to carry 50 people with lots of luggage?

31C is about 4000 lbs heavier than 29M. What is difference in feul mpg? 31C has 22.5 inches tires. What is the advantage of a big tire? thanks.
Old 01-09-2021, 12:29 AM   #9

THOR #21400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I have a 29M, mine is a 2018. My DW believes in bringing everything imaginable and after loading and weighing we are hundreds of pounds below the max axle weights front and back. I wouldn't worry about the CCC of the coach. I would be more worried about the lack of build quality that is endemic across the Thor Industries product line. Yes, all coaches have issues, but the folks that build Thor coaches have to be the least trained and qualified assemblers in all of America.
Quality is No#1 concern. CCC is No#2. Without enough CCC, always worry about how many people, how much food, water, gas, etc. to bring, especially for boondocking. CCC around 3000 is good.

By the way, CCC is for on road, or stationary too? If there is a group of guests who want to take a look at inside RV, should be concerned about CCC?

If the people making RVs do not have sufficient skills, that is a big problem.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:52 AM   #10

THOR #19102
Quote:

Noticed one difference between Hurricane and Windsport. From 360 degree views, Hurricane has vents on floor, and windsport does not. Is this true?

I did not see an exhaust fan above cooktop. Is there one below the microwave? is the exhaust fan, if any, push smell outside, or just internal circulation?

For 29M, is there a place to store a portable washer with spinner? one like this:

I actually own a hurricane 29m and it doesn't have vents in the floor. As for the cooking exhaust vent, it doesn't go outside, it is just a fan. For this reason, thor provides a roof vent above the stove area. Ours works really well. There is a ton of storage on this thing so I don't think you would have any problems finding somewhere to put your washer. As for entegra, we were looking at them too and from my understanding they are fantastic coaches.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:57 AM   #11

THOR #21400
Quote:
I actually own a hurricane 29m and it doesn't have vents in the floor. As for the cooking exhaust vent, it doesn't go outside, it is just a fan. For this reason, thor provides a roof vent above the stove area. Ours works really well. There is a ton of storage on this thing so I don't think you would have any problems finding somewhere to put your washer. As for entegra, we were looking at them too and from my understanding they are fantastic coaches.
Wondering what made you choose Thor over Entegra. The main thing holding me back from choosing Entegra is its small CCC of about 1800 lbs. 29F is bunk model, nice, good quality I believe. It has fiberglass roof, which is heavier, as a result smaller CCC. Its interior is not my taste (farmhouse or standard dark). Thor has brighter interior that I like better.
Old 01-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #12

THOR #19102
Quote:
Wondering what made you choose Thor over Entegra. The main thing holding me back from choosing Entegra is its small CCC of about 1800 lbs. 29F is bunk model, nice, good quality I believe. It has fiberglass roof, which is heavier, as a result smaller CCC. Its interior is not my taste (farmhouse or standard dark). Thor has brighter interior that I like better.
For us it was simply cost. We got a deal we couldn't pass up.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:21 AM   #13

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:

Go look at em!
Old 01-15-2021, 11:42 PM   #14

THOR #21400
Quote:
For us it was simply cost. We got a deal we couldn't pass up.
Price is a deciding factor for almost every one . I have a question on side cameras. Do they have whole side view of RV and eliminate blind spot completely?
Old 01-16-2021, 12:14 AM   #15

THOR #19102
Quote:
Price is a deciding factor for almost every one . I have a question on side cameras. Do they have whole side view of RV and eliminate blind spot completely?
The cameras are nice and show the entire side of the rv, but to be honest I don't really use them that much because the mirrors work very well also.
Old 01-16-2021, 12:47 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 31S
THOR #6411
Quote:
They are great in seeing pedestrians and bikes in the city especially on the right side. The viewing angle is about 90 degrees, so do no they do not totally eliminate a blind spot. Blind sport monitors are available after market. Be sure they are controlled by the turn signals or else you will go crazy on the Interstate.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2021, 01:13 AM   #17

THOR #21400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
They are great in seeing pedestrians and bikes in the city especially on the right side. The viewing angle is about 90 degrees, so do no they do not totally eliminate a blind spot. Blind sport monitors are available after market. Be sure they are controlled by the turn signals or else you will go crazy on the Interstate.
Does it show only a part of RV from side mirror to the back of RV? Its viewing angle should be adjustable to the driver's need.
Old 01-16-2021, 02:41 AM   #18

Model: Windsport 29m
THOR #9553
Quote:

Don't listen to folks that bash Thor RV's. They are just like the rest, some give you a little trouble, some make you want to quit RVing altogether!!

We have had two Thor coaches. A 2017 Axis 25.2 and found out in 9 months it was way too small and traded for a 2018 Windsport 29m. WE LOVE IT!!! It has had issues but nothing that couldn't get fixed. Many things were my fault and self inflicted??? I have done many up-grades like Sumo springs in the front and a Roadmaster anti-sway bar in the back along with new Bilstein shocks all around. Too many mods to list but for your question, you'd need to talk with the dealer to see what you can do. I'd look at other floor plans that may suit you better. As far as a washer and dryer, I got a Giantex Easy Lite machine when we planned out month long trip from NC to California and back. 7750 miles and not one problem!!! I strap it to the back of the dinette seat in the stair way to keep it stable when we travel with it and got a Panda Dryer I think and took out the fridge in the outdoor kitchen cause we never use it and I tote it there. It's not a real fast dryer but we don't mind using dryers at parks. It's good for t-shirts, socks and undies. The washer does a better job than our $400 Maytag in the house and it can wash a lot more that I ever thought it could. We leave it hooked up in our second bath and wash with it regulary. Good luck with your search. You can't beat the Windsport or the Hurricane. They are the same, just different graphics I believe. Bob Trice
Old 01-16-2021, 09:46 PM   #19

State: Ontario
THOR #21345
What is the cockpit noise like in the Windsport/Hurricane ? Wondering if the new 2021's still drive like a WWII 10 ton truck ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I have a Hurricane 29M. We..... improved the ride with sumo spring.....t drives like a WWII 10 ton truck, but has never broken down.....
Anyone have an iphone/ipad app that could measure decibel level at highway speed ?