Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2015, 08:58 PM   #1
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Sealant info from Thor

I just got off the phone with a Thor warranty rep about a couple of issues with my coach such as the upside down flags, plumbing schematic, out dated owners manual etc...

During the conversation I mentioned possibly having to postpone my shake down cruise because a piece of outside molding was coming loose and it may require immediate attention. The piece of molding covers the screws where the front cap is attached to the vehicle structure.

I was asked to seal the molding so that I could conduct the shakedown cruise and then Thor would have the dealer correct any warranty issues including the molding after the trip.

The Thor rep mentioned that their recommendation for sealants is "GeoCel". Googling GeoCel I found where there are various varieties for adhesion, sealing and by industry such as construction, RV, Trucking etc... I also determined that it is available at various outlets such as Hardware and Paint stores. Although the Thor rep mentioned it is available at home improvement centers when I did a search for "where to buy" my local Lowes and Home Depot were not listed.

As a note, I mentioned to the rep that at the current time, my biggest complaints are their failure to provide adequate documentation about systems (e.g. plumbing schematic, grey tank configurations, AV schematics, Anderson Termination center instructions etc..) and Thor's lack of the use of a vacuum cleaner before installing drawers in the coach.

The most interesting part of the conversation was when she pulled my build sheet to look at my waste tank configuration and the sheet says I have 3 black tanks and no grey water tank. According to the rep, when I take the coach is for warranty work the dealer may have to crawl around to determine what tank configuration was actually installed on my coach.

I guess during my shakedown in about a week, I'll need to closely monitor tank levels because for all I know they installed three 5 gallons buckets rather than an 80 and 2 forty gallon waste tanks.

Thought you might like to know about the sealant.

2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:30 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: A.C.E 29.3
State: Ohio
THOR #1620
At least they were responsive.
Camping World Indianapolis, worst dealer EVER experienced
thor293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #3
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
At least they were responsive.
Actually it was quite a pleasant 45 minute phone call. Hopefully as promised I will soon receive the plumbing schematics (fresh and waste water systems) AV schematic for HDMI and coax an updated owners manual, and the recorded build sheet of record.

Should have another call next week after she tracks down the person that never returned my calls (after they initiated the contact) and discusses an issue presented to them. I was glad to provide her with the person's name and telephone number and she immediately knew who to talk to.

Only time will tell how it all plays out.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #4
Site Team

THOR #1469
Just got clarification on the Geocel. They actually use Geocel 2300 Vehicle Body Sealant.

Also, while I was on the phone with them I ask for a the build sheet for my coach. Within 5 minutes I received both the build sheet listing the major items and the component list which identifies the systems installed on my coach by model and serial number. The component list also shows that the initial water pump failed an inspection and was replaced with a 5gpm pump before the coach left the factory.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 PM   #5

THOR #1620
I sent a request to their customer service dept to see if I could get a few of the clips that hold the screens in our coach since my cw dealer doesn't seem to care, and at this point I am think neither does Thor. :-/
Old 03-14-2015, 12:33 PM   #6
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor293 View Post
I sent a request to their customer service dept to see if I could get a few of the clips that hold the screens in our coach since my cw dealer doesn't seem to care, and at this point I am think neither does Thor. :-/
The initial contact with Thor took some time via their web contact form. I believe this may be due to the routing of the request to the correct plant. My Challenger is built in their plant that also builds the Tuscany and Palazzo diesel pushers and the rep that called me based on my contact form works in the plant that produces the Challenger. I now have her direct number and during a couple of calls she has been very responsive to my requests.

Have you tried calling their customer service number? You may also try calling their parts department (877) 500-1020. That is the number I used to get a second key for my outside entertainment compartment and the number on the packing slip when they sent the wrong key on the first attempt. If you talk to parts they may ask for the last 8 digits of your VIN so you may want to have that handy. Each time I talked to them about the key (first 2 keys, then one key when one of the first 2 was incorrect) they sent them via UPS and were received within 2 days.
FMCA - F432054
Old 03-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #7

THOR #1620
Thanks for the reply! I will call them sometime next week. Thought i would give them a little time in case they are swamped.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:08 PM   #8

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
my experience:
don't bother leaving a message with customer no-service

if you can get through to customer service, they are very helpful and responsive if its something that they can take care of then and there, but if it requires a call back forget it.

If you have a warranty claim and they assign a person to you, they are very responsive, very reachable, and very helpful.

If you need help later, don't bother calling that same person

Just my experience so far after 9 months of ownership and 1 major warranty claim.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:00 AM   #9

Model: Challenger/37ND
State: Texas
THOR #1706
Oh man I'm dead. I feel so down with all these probs I've read. Spend close to $200k and then read all these probs. I wont be winterizing mine btw since I'm in South Texas. This baby will be on the road every weekend when I get it back (warranty repairs). The front radio is being replaced and I'm wondering if there is a better quality radio to replace it. The only thing about S Texas is deers and hogs in the morning and evening hours as they dart out onto the highway. Sob, cost me $11k to fix (thank you insurance). Well you need to leave early to get to where you are going before the day is over. /Mikey
2015 Thor Challenger 37ND
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
State: Florida
THOR #908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
Oh man I'm dead. I feel so down with all these probs I've read. Spend close to $200k and then read all these probs.
Mikey
don't let yourself get too down. I've spent a lot of time on forums since my days in the popup
One thing is for sure....
the folks with problems are much more likely to post their stories online than those that don't have complaints.

Many of the complaints are really relatively minor... loose screws and the like... and really only become an issue if you have to jump through the warranty hoops for every little thing... if you are not handy to just deal with it yourself....

Also depends greatly on how much of a perfectionist you are....

And the inefficient and rather stupid warranty loop that the industry has doesn't help with perceptions....

But in the end, I'm convinced there are a lot of happy enough folks out there on the road that are the type of folks that would never think of doing this forum stuff...

Could it be better? sure. If some japanese or european or australian manufacturer came to town selling RV's at a similar price with better designs and better quality would I buy one over our current options? Sure would.
But as it is I'm happy enough with my coach so far....
Old 03-26-2015, 01:05 PM   #11

THOR #1620
What BLW2 said X2!
Forums were created for people to vent! lol I have owned many an rv over the past 20 years, all of them new. With the exception of 2 times I never needed the factory to do warranty work that I could not do myself. I you dont consider yourself handy with some basic tools then you may need the dealer more but as said, most is tinker stuff and I think most of us enjoy doing some little things around the coach. Nothing is ever perfect nor will it ever be, I bet you will enjoy a long time of fun and vacations in your new coach!

Don't be the naysayer poster Come back and tell everyone how great your coach is and the fun you have with it. Give both sides of the fence a fair shake!
Old 03-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #12
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
My standard take is:
Quote:
All the happy people are too busy out camping and can't be bothered with posting on forums!
I grew up in a boating family. We used our boat like we now use our camper: Every weekend we were out "camping" with friends on an island. There were two activities going on each and every weekend: The ladies would all bring the catalogs they had received in the mail and would sit around in a big circle going though them. The men on the other hand would be working on someone's boat fixing or tinkering with something. Invariably the task would require some odd tool that someone would just happen to have...
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #13
Site Team

THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post
Oh man I'm dead. I feel so down with all these probs I've read. Spend close to $200k and then read all these probs. I wont be winterizing mine btw since I'm in South Texas. This baby will be on the road every weekend when I get it back (warranty repairs). The front radio is being replaced and I'm wondering if there is a better quality radio to replace it. The only thing about S Texas is deers and hogs in the morning and evening hours as they dart out onto the highway. Sob, cost me $11k to fix (thank you insurance). Well you need to leave early to get to where you are going before the day is over. /Mikey
The roadkill is a crap shoot for everyone.

As to the warranty items, if I can handle them I do rather 150 miles to the dealer and trying to get around their schedule. I figure the cost of some parts is cheaper than the fuel needed to get to and from the dealer.

So far we are very pleased with our Challenger; exception the slide issue. I had to put a little muscle to the kitchen sink drain but no problem, I had to do that on my house after it was built and it cost a lot more than this Thor.

Again, so far I am pleased.
FMCA - F432054