Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 35C
State: Wisconsin
THOR #7920
Windsport / Hurricane

Certainly enjoy reading the many informative posts from other Windsport and Hurricane owners. Purchased a left over new 2016 Windsport 35C late May 2017 from Camping World. This is not my first RV however, the other 2 units were Class C.

Since tinkering has always been in my blood, I'll tackle the issue if improvements can be made or when something needs fixing! I am generally satisfied, but have experienced a few issues with this gas Class A coach.

After picking up the coach, noted the following key issues:
1) Ladder was bent at the bottom and broken near mid point.
2) Axerra dual mirror and multiplex radio/cd was not working (later noted that the remote control for this unit was not provided).
3) Inverter would not turn on.

Setup appointment with the Camping World where purchased for the very next week and these (except ladder replacement) were repaired. Five weeks have passed and we are still awaiting delivery of replacement ladder, the Axerra remote control, and a second set of spare keys.

In late June we departed Wisconsin on a planned 6 week tour that has taken us thus far to the Black Hills, Yellowstone, Rocky Mountain National Park, and Santa Fe, NM. A few items have cropped up that we would like to ask others about. They are:
1) Auto leveling system made by Lippert
2) Swintek slide mechanisms
3) Roofing material (EPDM or is it TPO) - Been given both as answers???

The auto leveling system will not allow "zero point re-calibration" in accordance with Lippert manual. Any ideas?

Per Lippert, the Swintek slide mechanism gears must be only lubricated with CRC dry lubricant with TFPE. Availability is non-existent from retailers, but can be special ordered (NAPA). This Teflon-based lubricant can also be purchased through Amazon or Grainger.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the handling of this unit. Read a number of complaints as to handling and am wondering if the year of production has anything to do with it (e.g. 2016 vs. 2015 or earlier). I think this model and year has anti-sway bars both on the front and rear axles. Can anyone confirm???

Old 07-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #2

Model: 2017 Windsport 29M
State: Indiana
THOR #5196
The video by Schwintek on lubing the slides is old and obsolete, they now recommend used compressed air to occasionally blow out the mechanism.

Your coach is on the Ford F53 chassis and does have front and rear swaybars as standard equipment. There is an adjustment you can make to stiffen the bars, it's called the CHF (cheap handling fix) and it simple to do with a couple of common hand tools, takes about 1-1 1/2 hours to do.

The roofing material is TPO, pretty much all Thor uses. If you need to clean it use Simple Green and a soft/medium bristled brush. While you're on the roof check your caulking, any potential bad spots can be touched up with self leveling Dicor caulk.

Congratulations on your coach and welcome to the forum!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #3

THOR #7920
Smile

Thanks for the information SuperD!

TPO - Great; Was on step ladder this morning to check lapping and noticed cracking near front and rear caps and what appeared to be a hole developing on street side front where the cap meets the roofing material.

Spoke with Lippert SI just yesterday and asked the question if that CRC dry lubricant with TFPE is really the only thing to use and their representative assured me without hesitation that it is the only thing out there that LSI recommends on the mechanism and to place nothing on the rails.

Thanks again SuperD!!!
Old 07-08-2017, 11:53 PM   #4

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Feefof,

Your coach has a wheelbase of 242 inches. Coaches with a longer wheelbase tend to feel more stable when driven. The shorter coaches like the 29M have a wheelbase of 190 inches. 52 inches shorter than yours. That is a big difference proportionaly. I am very happy with how my 35M handles. I only did the CHF to reduce body roll. Trucks and busses passing me are no bother.
My radio did not come with the remote. I was told they stopped providing them. Too many problems.

This forum is of great help. The people on here are outstanding!!!! Search topics of interest to you. Amazing information.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:26 AM   #5
Kev

Model: Windsport
State: Florida
THOR #3918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn62 View Post
Feefof,

Your coach has a wheelbase of 242 inches. Coaches with a longer wheelbase tend to feel more stable when driven. The shorter coaches like the 29M have a wheelbase of 190 inches. 52 inches shorter than yours. That is a big difference proportionaly. I am very happy with how my 35M handles. I only did the CHF to reduce body roll. Trucks and busses passing me are no bother.
My radio did not come with the remote. I was told they stopped providing them. Too many problems.

This forum is of great help. The people on here are outstanding!!!! Search topics of interest to you. Amazing information.
I got a remote with my 2018 Windsport.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:22 PM   #6

THOR #7920
Thanks Shawn for the feedback!
Did you notice a significant difference with your 35M after doing the CHF?
The CHF modification was also suggested by SuperD and several others.
Does this impact the chassis warrant?
Old 07-09-2017, 10:24 PM   #7

THOR #7920
Kev - Thanks for that! Was told by the dealer that the owner must make a request.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:15 PM   #8

THOR #5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefof View Post
Doing the chf does not affect your warranty. Be sure to follow the instructions on using a torque wrench and blue loctite. The chf makes a huge difference in the handling of the coach which is why it's such a popular mod, plus it's free!!!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:00 AM   #9

Model: Windsport. 35M
State: New York
THOR #6199
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefof View Post
I only drove it 30 miles on two lane roads before I did the CHF. The improvement on body roll was amazing. Highly recommended. Like SuperD said. My 35M is a 2017. Your sway bars may have heavy sticktion to their bushings If your 2016 sat for a long period of time before it was sold. You might need a small jack to move the sway bar to make the adjustment.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #10

THOR #7920
Thanks Shawn, SuperD, and others!!!

Has anyone had a window leak? The felt in the Street side (drivers window) bottom channel where the window slides open and closed gets wet every time it rains a bit.

Also, low shower water pressure - any ideas!

Franz
Old 07-16-2017, 11:45 PM   #11

THOR #5196
Try spraying the window channel liberally with silicone, the felt tends to wick water when it gets wet, sometimes this helps. Also make sure the window is completely closed, sometimes hard to do especially when new.

Is your shower pressure low with the pump or on city water? Do you have a regulator on the city water hose?
Old 07-17-2017, 12:28 AM   #12

THOR #7920
Thanks SuperD - ill try the silicone on the channel. Regarding low shower pressure it doesn't seem to matter whether on internal pump or city water. Yes I do have a pressure regulator on the city water connection; and, the water coming from the city water connection is off the charts (hardness).

Tags
auto levelers, handling, roof, slide out, windsport