Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 08-31-2017, 10:44 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Kansas
THOR #7848
wintering over

I have a Freedom Elite 30FE. We got it in May and have only had one major trip: to the Grand Canyon from Kansas. This winter we plan to go to Tombstone, AZ for the cold months. The average low during the winter months is 38 F and the average high is 64 F. Obviously, the low on any given night could be below freezing but not by much. A hard freeze is rare, I am told. Does any one have any ideas for preparing the RV for these type conditions? Do I need a skirt? Any isues with pipes freezing or will keeping the heat on in the RV prevent freezeups? Any help will be appreciated.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:18 PM   #2

Model: Challenger 37TB
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #4486
First you need to confirm if your water management system and tanks are in heated compartments. If they are, you should be fine as long as you keep the coach heated. I always opt for extra protection or a backup in case your primary heat source fails. On a class C, heat pads for the tanks, a heater for the water management compartment, might be good backup options. You also want to make sure your inbound water supply is protected from freezing. They do make hoses with integrated heat tape. Sewer hose probably not an issue as long as it is slopped properly.
2015 Ford Taurus toad
schreinertms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:07 AM   #3

State: Georgia
THOR #9957
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylelr View Post
I have a Freedom Elite 30FE. We got it in May and have only had one major trip: to the Grand Canyon from Kansas. This winter we plan to go to Tombstone, AZ for the cold months. The average low during the winter months is 38 F and the average high is 64 F. Obviously, the low on any given night could be below freezing but not by much. A hard freeze is rare, I am told. Does any one have any ideas for preparing the RV for these type conditions? Do I need a skirt? Any isues with pipes freezing or will keeping the heat on in the RV prevent freezeups? Any help will be appreciated.
Your 30FE have heat pads for black and grey tanks. You use furnace to keep fresh water from freezing as well as your water lines. I bought a heat strip for my water hose that will keep water from freezing. It has a electrical plug at the end where I hook up water. I use one home and it works great.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:13 AM   #4
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
On the nights where you know it will be go below freezing its best to put some water in your fresh water tank and disconnect the fresh water hose (use the on board pump)--if you don't have any heat tape. Make sure you disconnect at least one end so the water can drain out of the hose.

Don't necessarily have to disconnect the sewer but I would close the grey valve (if you're at a FHU site and leave the grey open).

That should be good if it just "touches" freezing overnight. For deeper cold wx I would bring some pink antifreeze with me and put a little in the waste tanks (especially if you don't have the waste tank heaters).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cold weather preperations, winter