Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2015, 04:27 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
LCD TV's in freezing weather

Being new to the RV world I'm reading conflicting articles on whether you can leave your LCD TV's in your coach during below 32 degree temps. Some say just don't turn the TV on until it is above 32, others say take them inside. I looked at removing the TV but as we know this is not easy, nor would re-installing. I appreciate your response..

Old 11-17-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Crossroads
Model: CF32BL
State: Mississippi
THOR #121
I leave mine in all year long. Think about they are shipped in unheated trucks and containers all the time. Generally the trailer is some what war by the time I have set up
The wonder Schnauzers
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
I also leave them in the RV--too much of a hassle to remove them. If they do break its a good excuse to get something a bit better (of course in that case then I'd start removing them simply because they are worth more ! LOL).
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 07:28 PM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I also leave them in the RV--too much of a hassle to remove them. If they do break its a good excuse to get something a bit better (of course in that case then I'd start removing them simply because they are worth more ! LOL).
I like Samsung TVs, but they list operating range for newer LED between 10 and 40 C (50 to 104 F). At least outside TV will drop much below that. I'm not even sure if LEDs will work in RV environment.

Short term it would be nice to eliminate TV and send campground cable signal to tablets. That solves many issues, including temperature. I may look into that first although initial search makes it seem more involved than I expected. Two wireless TVs would be very nice to have.

Longer term I'm hoping that options that are pricey today may come down in cost. Either way I don't see us having multiple TVs in an RV in a few years.

Any thoughts on what may work on simple basis to replace TVs?
Old 11-17-2015, 07:53 PM   #5

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
I like Samsung TVs, but they list operating range for newer LED between 10 and 40 C (50 to 104 F).
Operating range is not storage range, which was the OP's question. Storage range for the Samsungs, per a quick Google search, is -4 degF to 113 degF (-20 degC to 45 degC).

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:04 PM   #6
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My televisions in my prior coach and the current coach have been left in the motorhome during temps as low as -14 and have not had any problems.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:25 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
Short term it would be nice to eliminate TV and send campground cable signal to tablets. That solves many issues, including temperature. I may look into that first although initial search makes it seem more involved than I expected. Two wireless TVs would be very nice to have.

Longer term I'm hoping that options that are pricey today may come down in cost. Either way I don't see us having multiple TVs in an RV in a few years.

Any thoughts on what may work on simple basis to replace TVs?
Sure: simply "unplug" (e.g. don't get cable at all and use all streaming services).

Going the all streaming route you only need a WiFi connection. Unfortunately you can't get everything via streaming (live sports is the standout here).

In addition, many campground's WiFi/internet connections don't have the bandwidth to support streaming for a single camper let alone a bunch of RV'ers streaming.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Sure: simply "unplug" (e.g. don't get cable at all and use all streaming services).

Going the all streaming route you only need a WiFi connection. Unfortunately you can't get everything via streaming (live sports is the standout here).

In addition, many campground's WiFi/internet connections don't have the bandwidth to support streaming for a single camper let alone a bunch of RV'ers streaming.
4 Paws says they will block or suspend high bandwidth users.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 PM   #9

Brand: DRV
Model: Mobile Suites 38RSSA
THOR #2754
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
4 Paws says they will block or suspend high bandwidth users.
Not unusual as there's limited bandwidth to serve all of their customers using the campground WiFi.

Rusty
Current: 2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972 - Previous: 2004 MS 36RE3 #1291
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
I saw this T-Mobile new offering today that if the hot spot wifi has enough reach, might be of interest to me to satisfy my TV/RV needs. The "Binge On" feature sounds interesting. I already have several of the subscription based services.
T-Mobile Doubles Data Plans, Announces “Binge On” Unlimited Video Streaming – RV Mobile Internet Resource Center
Old 11-17-2015, 09:08 PM   #11

Model: 2015 Vegas 24.1
State: Pennsylvania
THOR #2601
Les -- you might want to check on that "Binge On" as well because even though T-Mobile is saying it is "unlimited" streaming to your device -- it is still going to be using the Wifi bandwidth. So you'd be right back to what Jamie described about streaming wifi bandwidth.
2015 Vegas 24.1 (E-350)
bevedfelker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:29 PM   #12

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #3027
Thanks Ed,

I am thinking that it would be using a T-Mobile Hotspot and not using the campground wifi. I might be wrong. Still not sure how usable T-Mobile service is.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:46 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
T-Mobile's "BingeOn" feature allows you to stream over cellular without hitting your limit on your plan (e.g. you are not charged for the qualifying streams--listed above).

This is the first time a provider has covered video streams; many have covered streaming audio.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:50 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 34E
State: California
THOR #937
Quote:
Originally Posted by leshunter View Post
Thanks Ed,

I am thinking that it would be using a T-Mobile Hotspot and not using the campground wifi. I might be wrong. Still not sure how usable T-Mobile service is.
I have been a T-Mobile customer ever since they started, (my nephew worked there and got me a deal on my original Sony-Emerson candybar-sized camera phone)!

They have had unlimited streaming for internet radio for over a year now. Now it includes internet video!

It's not Wifi bandwidth! It's the cellular data plan, (LTE, 4G), that is available to you without affecting your monthly plan data cap, or speed limit throttling.

If you own a Wifi hot spot device on a data plan, it can be used to stream Wifi on any devices you own.

If you own a data telephone that supports tethering, (Phones include support for a "Personal Hotspot), it can be used as a hotspot to provide Wifi for your other devices, (like AppleTV, Roku, etc..).
Old 11-18-2015, 02:03 AM   #15

Model: Chateau 28F
State: Colorado
THOR #2768
Thanks. I plan on leaving them in..