Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2018, 09:50 PM   #1
Bgk

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Manitoba
THOR #10985
No heat

Heater core is stone cold,have changed thermostat,bypass control valve to no avail. Have noticed both heater hoses come from the lower part of the engine. Has anyone experience the same.

Old 10-09-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
First: welcome to the Forum.
Just to be certain: are we talking about the ventilation system up front in the cab; or the furnace in the coach?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:39 PM   #3

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Which RV do you have? Year, model.

Ford E350/ 450/ F53?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:44 PM   #4

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Oh yeah and welcome, Canada Ehh. (Bad Canandian joke - LOL).

Does the engine seem to run Okay? Im sure you talking about the RV engine heater core? Are the hoses hot to the touch? They must be. Perhaps blockage in heater core? Defective thermostat - replace again?
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 02:11 AM   #5

Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
You are getting no heat from the heater core. Do you have hot hoses on either side of the vacuum controlled heater water valve (I am assuming there is a vacuum control valve in series with the core)? If yes and the engine return water hose coming out of the heater core is cold......you have a plugged core. If the heater core side of the vacuum controlled water valve is cold but the feed side of the valve is hot and you are calling for full hot on the dash control, then perhaps there is a vacuum leak (control valve not responding) or the water valve is jammed closed or is defective?
Old 10-10-2018, 06:10 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: South Dakota
THOR #3916
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelin View Post
You are getting no heat from the heater core. Do you have hot hoses on either side of the vacuum controlled heater water valve (I am assuming there is a vacuum control valve in series with the core)? If yes and the engine return water hose coming out of the heater core is cold......you have a plugged core. If the heater core side of the vacuum controlled water valve is cold but the feed side of the valve is hot and you are calling for full hot on the dash control, then perhaps there is a vacuum leak (control valve not responding) or the water valve is jammed closed or is defective?
OR.... You may have to bleed (burp) the air out of the heater core and hoses.....
Thor Infinity
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:48 AM   #7
Bgk

THOR #10985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
First: welcome to the Forum.
Just to be certain: are we talking about the ventilation system up front in the cab; or the furnace in the coach?
We are talking about cab heat on a 2018 Thor aria 3901
Old 10-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #8
Bgk

THOR #10985
Hi bob I was talking about the cabin heat at the front of our Thor Aria 3901 seems strange to me that both hoses for the heater core would come from the bottom of the 6.7 L Cummins block. Otherwise love the motor home.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:46 PM   #9

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgk View Post
Heater core is stone cold,have changed thermostat,bypass control valve to no avail. Have noticed both heater hoses come from the lower part of the engine. Has anyone experience the same.
Do they look like this? We seem to have an issue with the rhiostat not communicating with the the control valve, but only occasionally. And usually we get heat when we want A.C.. If I turn it all the way to heat, then back to cold, I get A.C. again.Click image for larger version

Name:	20181011_163219.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	13462
Old 10-12-2018, 03:01 AM   #10
Bgk

THOR #10985
I will have a look to see if is. I bypassed all heater controls with a ball valve so it can not be dash related.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #11

Model: Aria 3901
State: Idaho
THOR #9660
didn't think about it until just now, but I noticed a ball valve in the hose near the engine block. You might check to make sure it is not turned off. Long shot, but who knows?
Old 10-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #12
Bgk

THOR #10985
No heat

Went and looked at our aria and hoses look the same. I still think it would be better if the one hose came from the upper part of the block like every other application.
Old 10-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #13
Bgk

THOR #10985
Not the ball valve.