Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Arkansas
THOR #3396
Wiring for a Dish Tailgater on 2013 ACE?

My wife has given me a Dish Tailgater for our 2013 ACE 30.1. I would like to use the outside cable feed to hook up the satellite to get Dish on both of our televisions. I realize that I can only mirror cable on my bedroom television without rewiring the MH. That is fine. I do not want to do a complicated rewire and the same channels on both TVs at the same time is fine with me.

The wires for my televisions culminate in the cabinet behind our main TV. I have taken off the signal amplifier and it is wired as follows: white cable from outside to amplifier; orange cable from antenna to amplifier; and, black cable from amplifier to splitter and on to both televisions.

I would like some ideas on how to rewire to include a satellite receiver and still get OTA antenna on both of my televisions. The MH is only wired for coaxial cable, but both TVs are High Def and will accept HDMI cables. I know I can run an HDMI cable from my satellite receiver to my main television, but my second TV is not wired with HDMI, only coax. However, regular signal is fine for me in bedroom. Can anyone help?

Old 12-25-2015, 10:52 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Southwind 37F
State: Texas
THOR #1793
http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f17...tlet-1344.html

Try this link. I have a 2015 ACE 29.3 and use a Tailgater. I posted twice, to include final results.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 11:52 PM   #3

THOR #3396
GMac-

Thanks for the reply and Merry Christmas!

I have no experience with electronics and I hope you don't mind answering a few questions:

1. Did you install the Dual Coax plate and what is the purpose of running the cable to the Dual Coax plate? I guess I am asking what it does and why you didn't run satellite cable directly to the satellite receiver?

2. Did you then run the coax from the Dual Coax plate to the receiver? It looks like that is what you did but I want to make sure.

3. "I also connected AVI cables to a RF Converter and connected that output back to the coax wall plate." I am confused about this statement. It seems to me that you ran the satellite cable to the coax plate and then used the other coax plate connection to run coax to the satellite receiver. If so, how did you connect the RF converter output back to the coax wall plate?

I did look up all of these terms, but I am still confused. Thanks for your help. Bob
Old 12-26-2015, 03:11 AM   #4

THOR #1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambob View Post
gmac-

thanks for the reply and merry christmas!

I have no experience with electronics and i hope you don't mind answering a few questions:

1. Did you install the dual coax plate and what is the purpose of running the cable to the dual coax plate? I guess i am asking what it does and why you didn't run satellite cable directly to the satellite receiver?

I did install. Purpose is to organize the coax and cover any wire holes. And yes you could run the wire directly to the receiver. My wallplate just adds a connection at the wall and could add a possibility to get a loose connection.

2. Did you then run the coax from the dual coax plate to the receiver? It looks like that is what you did but i want to make sure.

Yes it runs thru plate to receiver.

3. "i also connected avi cables to a rf converter and connected that output back to the coax wall plate." i am confused about this statement. It seems to me that you ran the satellite cable to the coax plate and then used the other coax plate connection to run coax to the satellite receiver. If so, how did you connect the rf converter output back to the coax wall plate?

My receiver only has a coax/ant in. Output is either hdmi or avi(red, white & yellow). The hdmi connects to dinette tv. In order to distribute back to system thru my ant booster switch i needed to create a coax out from the satelite receiver, thus avi out to a rf converter. The rf now has a coax/line out which feeds original booster switch (via wall plate).

I did look up all of these terms, but i am still confused. Thanks for your help. Bob
My responses are included in your quote.

i hope this helps.
Merry christmas.
Old 12-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #5

THOR #3396
GMac-

It is starting to become clearer. Because of the location of my main television I don't really need the coax plate. I will run the main coax cable that comes from the outlet outside and screw it into the VIP211Z.

Next, I will take an HDMI cable from the VIP211Z to my dinette television.

I will next use AVI out of the VIP211Z to an RF Converter. From the RF Converter I will run coax to the connection in the original booster switch where the main coax cable was attached before I connected it to the VIP211Z.

Here is where I am still a little confused. I assume "the black cable from the amplifier to splitter and on to both televisions" will not now need the splitter and can go directly to the bedroom television through the existing cable, correct?

On another note, dish sells a Digital Over-The-Air Tuner for ViP 211Z which attaches to a USB port. If I purchase this and connected it to the ViP 211z USB port and then run coax to the connection in the original booster switch where the main coax cable was attached can I avoid using the AVI cables and RF Modulator? Again, thanks for your help!
Old 12-30-2015, 02:35 AM   #6

THOR #1793
I have 3 tvs so I still need the splitter. You may be ok to remove. My dinette can be viewed either thru HDMI (preferred) or thru RF. My other two tvs are only viewed thru "tv".

As for the OTA, I believe that is for local channels but not sure if it's compatible with the VIP211Z.

Hope this helps.

2019 Fleetwood Southwind 37F
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat toad
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote