Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2018, 06:45 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Challenger 36TL
State: Illinois
THOR #4618
wiring for satellite

I have a 2017 Challenger 36TL. I'm looking to put a satellite dish on it. Does anyone know if it is pre-wired for this? If not, how do I get the coax cable from the roof to the cabinet with the switcher in it?

Any suggestions on brand of satellite dish? I currently have DirecTV at home.

Thanks for any and all input!

Old 05-23-2018, 11:20 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: England
THOR #11569
Give these peeps a shout out
They were most helpful on the phone
If I ever get on a rig I may take a week and go see them
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180523_181423.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	10409  
Old 05-24-2018, 10:53 AM   #3

Model: Georgetown 31L5
State: Ohio
THOR #6277
I've had the Winegard Trav'ler DirecTV dish on my last 2 motorhomes. In order to run the cable from the dish to inside, holes had to be drilled through the roof. Take a look at the installation manual provided in my post. It takes you through the installation process. It's not that complicated, but I have to admit that I had my dealer do the installation for about $300. This included wiring from the dish to both the living room and the bedroom.

I, too, have DirecTV at home, so I bought the Winegard Trav'ler dish for DirecTV and just rent an additional HD box at $7.00 per month to keep in the camper.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard Trav'ler installation.pdf (564.2 KB, 335 views)
Old 05-27-2018, 05:26 PM   #4

State: Illinois
THOR #4121
I took the easy way, I bought 2 "flat coax" cables from Amazon which allowed me to run my satellite feed into my bedroom through a window , closest to my cable inlet and hook up the normal way to the satellite box. I then used the 2nd flat coax to run the feed back out to my cable fitting on the outside of my camper through the same window. Turn off the signal booster for the antenna, tune the T.V.'s to cable channel 3 and every T.V. works like being at home. Grand total of $10.00 for the cables without cutting or splicing or fighting coax.
Old 05-27-2018, 06:15 PM   #5

State: England
THOR #11569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billr580 View Post
I took the easy way, I bought 2 "flat coax" cables from Amazon which allowed me to run my satellite feed into my bedroom through a window , closest to my cable inlet and hook up the normal way to the satellite box. I then used the 2nd flat coax to run the feed back out to my cable fitting on the outside of my camper through the same window. Turn off the signal booster for the antenna, tune the T.V.'s to cable channel 3 and every T.V. works like being at home. Grand total of $10.00 for the cables without cutting or splicing or fighting coax.
Wow! Nice!
Very sweet
Thanks for sharing info
Not aware of flat coax
Those folks sure nice on the phone I mentioned above but way more than your $10!
Great going
Old 10-09-2018, 02:07 AM   #6

State: Arizona
THOR #13337
Does anyone know if you put a Sattelite dish in the Quantum class C? It says it’s prewired but there doesn’t look to be enough room on the roof.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:18 PM   #7

State: Georgia
THOR #4735
while most coaches probably come 'pre wired', per se, from the factory, for a roof mounted Satellite antenna, most folks don't realize that sometimes this is NOT really the way you want to do it... it's much simpler to just run your 'own' coax cable from the roof antenna, into your coach, and directly to the TV you want to watch satellite channels on, where the Receiver will be... otherwise you have to have a receiver in the 'cabinet' in the living area, which is a little awkward for the remote to 'see', especially if the cabinet is over your head as you watch the TV.

Portable antennas, like the King Tailgater 2, or the Dish Playmaker, etc., are very easy to sit on the roof, or move down to the ground, or store in a bay when not in use. This gives you some many options - the world is not designed for permanently roof-mounted antennas to always 'see' the satellites, especially when staying at your favorite state parks or wooded campgrounds. You need it to be mobile.

They are also easy to connect your coax cable to, and find a nice easy place for it to enter the coach, near the receiver. We use our bedroom tv mostly, so I simply run the coax from the antenna thru the to corner of the bedroom slide, where the rubber seal easily allows it. Even when the slide is closed, the coax cable still stays snug thru the seal, and stays connected to the portable antenna while it rides on the roof. If I need to move the antenna, on the roof, or even down onto the ground, the extra coax cable I keep stored and wrapped around the rear AC unit can easily allow for it. Slides are probably the best places to use since they are already big 'holes' in the RV...no need to 'drill' anything in the roof!
TurnerFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:05 PM   #8

Model: Quantum 31WS
State: Arizona
THOR #7419
We have a 17 Quantum WS31. It was definitely NOT prewired and dealer had to run the cable across the roof and drill a hole into the RV. We used the Dish Trav'ler with a wireless Joey system, so we can view all three TV's off Satellite independently.
Old 03-15-2022, 11:04 PM   #9

State: Florida
THOR #24319
Where doe Thor hide the sat cable

can anyone tell me on a 2022 Thor Palazzo 37.5 where they hide the satellite cable in the coach? Tech support says its in the front but can not find the coax
Old 03-16-2022, 01:14 AM   #10

Model: Quantum 29kw
State: California
THOR #24729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missitt View Post
Does anyone know if you put a Sattelite dish in the Quantum class C? It says it’s prewired but there doesn’t look to be enough room on the roof.
My 2020 Quantum kw29 is not pre wired. I ran a coax from the back of the motor home underneath and drilled a small hole in the floor and up the wall to the overhead cabinet. I use a Tailgater
Old 03-19-2022, 02:55 PM   #11

State: Arkansas
THOR #26268
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE driver View Post
can anyone tell me on a 2022 Thor Palazzo 37.5 where they hide the satellite cable in the coach? Tech support says its in the front but can not find the coax

We just purchased 2022 Palazzo 33.5 and found orange coax cord in tech cabinet that chases up to “inside” the Winegard receiver on roof. It’s up there open ended (not connected) and waiting for my satellite to be installed. We had to remove the cap of the Winegard to find it. I hope this helps.
Old 03-19-2022, 04:52 PM   #12

State: Florida
THOR #24319
sat cable

so your 33.5 has the Weingard mine too but don't know where that cap is. Can you help me find it?

Tags
direct tv, satellite, wiring