Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class C and Super C Motorhomes
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2019, 01:26 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31W
State: Delaware
THOR #13591
Question Is Outside Propane BBQ outlet regulated?

Howdy! 2018 Thor Chateau 31W here. I noticed a little access door with a quick disconnect for a propane grill on the side of my rig, and I want to use a 12' extension hose (to get it out from under the awning), but I don't know if the gas coming out of there is already regulated or do I need to add a regulator to the hose before it gets to the grill. Using it with a 2-burner stainless grill similar to the one in the picture. I've removed the hose that came with it to install the long one, but not sure if I should leave the regulator attached or not.

Many thanks!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	81IAA-0SKlL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	15230  

Old 01-21-2019, 01:31 AM   #2

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Im 99% sure its regulated. I bet you can follow the hose from underneath the RV and trace to the distibution block for the rest of your gas burners... to the Frig, heater, stove.

All of the other items are regulated. Mine has one main hose (After the regulator) that goes over to the curb side then splits into 3 diff lines.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:47 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
i asked about that when i picked my coach up and was told that it was pre-regulated. in other words, you would need a smaller regulator for the grill. i thought it was BS but then i noticed a smaller regulator under the stove and a regulator-looking device on the back of the fridge.

so i would assume since each device probably needs a different pressure, theirs a master regulator on the tank and each device has it's own so it operates as designed. (i would also assume the fridge uses less than the water heater, or stove, for example)
Old 01-21-2019, 01:55 AM   #4

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
It is on mine. Pressure is already reduced (regulated) so no regulator is required on my grill. (With the normal grill regulator on I didn't even have enough propane pressure to keep the grill lit.)
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:01 AM   #5

THOR #12270
so EVM, your saying that if i poke my head under the rig, there should be the smaller regulator by the exterior connection? that would mean just a hose on the grill and no third regulator correct?

EDIT:
just poked my head under and dont see a small regulator for this line so i would guess that just an adapter hose would be needed (to convert from the small bottles)
Old 01-21-2019, 02:55 AM   #6
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
It's downstream of the regulator on the tanks so it is LOW PRESSURE REGULATED propane. You can't just get a hose to go from the quick disconnect to the 1 lb bottle connector on the grill. You'll be cooking the burgers for hours if you can even get the grill to light. You need a bypass adapter to replace the regulator on the grill. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-57274-C...essure+adapter
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:06 AM   #7

Model: ACE 29.4
State: Mississippi
THOR #10956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfryman View Post
It's downstream of the regulator on the tanks so it is LOW PRESSURE REGULATED propane. You can't just get a hose to go from the quick disconnect to the 1 lb bottle connector on the grill. You'll be cooking the burgers for hours if you can even get the grill to light. You need a bypass adapter to replace the regulator on the grill. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-57274-C...essure+adapter
Exactly, no additional reduction of pressure needed.
(swapped out of 37' 5th wheel and Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax in Apr 18)
EVMIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:13 AM   #8

Model: Chateau 31W
State: Delaware
THOR #13591
Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't see a regulator on the hose under the rig, but I'm going to go with the opinion that it's already regulated and if the BBQ lights up like the Olympic torch, I'll know to add the regulator back onto the extension hose. LOL
Old 01-21-2019, 04:48 AM   #9

THOR #12270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxnpinz View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies. I didn't see a regulator on the hose under the rig, but I'm going to go with the opinion that it's already regulated and if the BBQ lights up like the Olympic torch, I'll know to add the regulator back onto the extension hose. LOL
if i see a grill BBQ launch into orbit i'll know who's it was

Old 01-21-2019, 01:43 PM   #10

Model: 2017 Axis 25.4
State: Arkansas
THOR #12231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choxnpinz View Post
Thats because this is only one regulator at the tank like I mentioned above. You should be able to follow this gas line to the distribution block for the rest of the coach. All of the gas appliances are regulated.
2017 Axis / 25.4: Big Foot Levelers, Aims 1200 Watt inverter, Ceramic Window Tint, Full River AGM 6V batteries, Front Hellwig Sway bar / Rear Track Arm, Safe T Plus Steering Stabilizer, PD 4655 converter, Hard Wired Surge Guard, WEboost + WiFi Ranger, LED Headlights/Driving lights, TPMS, Surge tank, Tornado flush, Viair Compressor
Long & Winding road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
It's a low pressure source of propane. (Get the right grill for it!)
I wonder if they set them up like this for safety reasons? If that was a traditional line, and it got damage in an accident:
Would the low pressure line be less risky?
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:29 PM   #12

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
THOR #11130
All grills operate on low pressure...thus, all grills (even the deck models at home) have a regulator. For convenience sake, the regulators are an integral part of the gas line attached to the grill, so any tank will work. The regulator made into the LP tank of the coach serves this purpose, so any grill or attachment you use gets it's gas source "already regulated" if you use the factory installed quick disconnect. The stove and fridge are already regulated as they are factory equipped. If using an aftermarket, portable grill that comes with the regulator attached to the grill, that regulator will need to be removed. The previous TT we had came with a grill...the grill did not have a regulator...just a quick disconnect line.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Yup! We bought this low-pressure grill from the local Camping World store.
(lousy dealership; but a great place to buy stuff!)

http://www.thorforums.com/forums/att...1&d=1548081914
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grille.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	15235  
Old 01-21-2019, 02:46 PM   #14
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemaster View Post
if i see a grill BBQ launch into orbit i'll know who's it was

Wouldn't it have been appropriate to have the grill knock down a Russian Spy Satellite?
Old 01-21-2019, 07:11 PM   #15

Model: Gemini 23TR
THOR #6701
I personally don’t believe Thor would want the responsibility of installing an unregulated propane outlet. I unfortunately do not have a grille connection on my rig but my last fifth wheel did. Great option.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #16

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsam View Post
I personally don’t believe Thor would want the responsibility of installing an unregulated propane outlet. I unfortunately do not have one on my rig but my last fifth wheel did. Great option.

I can't imagine the purpose for one...maybe a mobile flame thrower for heavy traffic? Otherwise...no use. Everything operates on low pressure.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:25 AM   #17

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Not trying to hijack this thread, but wondering if anyone can recommend a camp stove that would work with the LP quick connect on my Compass. Don't really want to grill, but would love to cook outside from time to time. I have a Camp Chef camp stove that I love, but apparently it is a high pressure stove, and won't work with the quick connect on the RV.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:06 PM   #18

THOR #11130
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDC54 View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread, but wondering if anyone can recommend a camp stove that would work with the LP quick connect on my Compass. Don't really want to grill, but would love to cook outside from time to time. I have a Camp Chef camp stove that I love, but apparently it is a high pressure stove, and won't work with the quick connect on the RV.

It actually operates on low pressure like all the rest. You can connect it the same way as any other grill, but remove the "included regulator" from the line on your Camp Chef if using with the quick disconnect of the camper. Remove and carry the hose to any bulk propane retailer and they can make you a hose with the quick disconnects. I had 15' hose made for my Napoleon 285 so I can get it away from the camper and use it in different spots.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #19
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Old 01-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #20

Model: 2018 Compass 23TR
State: Michigan
THOR #11426
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
It actually operates on low pressure like all the rest. You can connect it the same way as any other grill, but remove the "included regulator" from the line on your Camp Chef if using with the quick disconnect of the camper. Remove and carry the hose to any bulk propane retailer and they can make you a hose with the quick disconnects. I had 15' hose made for my Napoleon 285 so I can get it away from the camper and use it in different spots.
Thanks, Gritz! I will definitely check with my local bulk propane dealer. Was hoping I could find something that would work that I could just order online, but no luck. My Camp Chef stove has one of those rigid stems with a special/proprietary fitting on the stove end, and attaches to a 1# propane bottle. I understand that I have to lose the incorporated regulator, but the proprietary fitting seems to be the issue.