Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2016, 09:43 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #5361
Yellow Tags CCC

I am almost sure this has been a discusion before. But What exactly does that yellow tag mean it is not very realistic.
My yellow tag says 1227 lbs. Called Thor and they looked it up an said 7500 lbs "WHAT". So I asked what was my UVW which was 12928 lbs.
Ford specs says the chassis has a GCWR of 22000 lbs and the GVWR is 14500 lbs.
The math GCWR-GVWR = the 7500 lbs. Thor was talking about.
So how does the yellow tag only come up with 1227 lbs?
I realize you have to deduct propane, water, passengers, and anything else you throw in the RV. But is that from the 1227 lbs on the tag. I am not a skinny guy but between wife and 2 teenaged kids that's 630 lbs. not to mention food, clothing and whatever else a 5 or 7 day trip needs. How do you keep an rv from being overloaded.
Does anybody have any incite on this to clarify.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #2
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Well I think your math is wrong:
GCWR - GVWR = how much the unit can tow not how much it can carry. (In reality its GCWR - UVW which may give you a few extra lbs to tow, unless you're overweight.)

GVWR - UVW = how much the unit can carry so in your case that is 14500-12928 or 1572 lbs.

Still don't know where 1227 came from though.

My advice is to take it to a scale and see how much it does weigh (fill the gas, propane, and water tanks before scaling it too). Then you can replace that 12928 with what the scales say.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:05 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 31W
State: California
THOR #5361
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Well I think your math is wrong:
GCWR - GVWR = how much the unit can tow not how much it can carry. (In reality its GCWR - UVW which may give you a few extra lbs to tow, unless you're overweight.)

GVWR - UVW = how much the unit can carry so in your case that is 14500-12928 or 1572 lbs.

Still don't know where 1227 came from though.

My advice is to take it to a scale and see how much it does weigh (fill the gas, propane, and water tanks before scaling it too). Then you can replace that 12928 with what the scales say.
Sounds like a plan
What it can tow sounds more like it. I questioned that when I heard it.
But he assured me he was correct.
Yellow tag that has the 1227# may be incorrect. Because other than the roof AC (15000BTU vs 13000) there are no other dealer options installed all standard equipment. I don't think the A/C makes up the 345# difference.
Old 10-26-2016, 12:35 PM   #4
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Get it weighted.

Since the "UVW" was given to you and not listed on the labels it is quite possible you received the UVW for a base vehicle without options installed. Options such as additional televisions, spare tire, second battery all add weight and reduce the CCC.

It is also possible the "UVW" you were given is actually the "dry weight" which does not factor in items such as microwave, refrigerator and stove.

Keep in mind there are legal issues involved with vehicle weights. I imagine when Thor provided you with the UVW they also suggested getting the coach weighted.

Again, get the coach weighted. Only the scales know for sure.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:51 PM   #5

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #4366
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankov View Post
Get it weighted.

Since the "UVW" was given to you and not listed on the labels it is quite possible you received the UVW for a base vehicle without options installed. Options such as additional televisions, spare tire, second battery all add weight and reduce the CCC.

It is also possible the "UVW" you were given is actually the "dry weight" which does not factor in items such as microwave, refrigerator and stove.

Keep in mind there are legal issues involved with vehicle weights. I imagine when Thor provided you with the UVW they also suggested getting the coach weighted.

Again, get the coach weighted. Only the scales know for sure.
What he said, ours with full propane and fuel plus two weeks of supplies was 12,440#. That was with one person in the coach and maybe 10 gallons of water also.

Best to load the coach then weigh it and you will know where you are really at.
Wrangler JK dinghy
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote