Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2022, 05:28 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Axis 25.4
State: Texas
THOR #26120
Lightbulb Yet another Thor Axis/Vegas windshield sun shade hack

Hi all, I picked up a 2018 Thor Axis 25.4 back in April, perfectly timed to coincide with rocketing gas prices rocketing and an early Texas heat wave just to make things more interesting. I picked the Axis because I absolutely love the cockpit view, but of course all that glass really lets in that sun.

Toward that end I looked at all kinds of posts and videos on making sunshades with Reflectix and looked into custom shades all the way up to Magneshade. As awesome as their reviews are, I just couldn't justify shelling out a grand for a window shade. So I looked into some pre-built alternatives and found this StangH Portable Blackout Shade for $36.

Turned sideways, it's 78"x51", almost a perfect fit on my 25.4. If it were an inch or so taller I'd swear is was custom made for it. You can see in the pictures there's a gap at the bottom, but this was my first time putting it up so if I got it perfectly smooth and centered it might cover it up.

Anyway, it mounts with suction cups that go into grommets around the the edges. With a small two step ladder, it took about 5 minutes to put up after I cleaned the windshield. I can't find what the material is but the site says it's machine washable.

It was designed for indoor use so I have no idea how it will handle strong wind or rain, and the plastic parts of the suction cups will probably get obliterated by the sun, but it's 100% opaque and the difference it makes keeping the cabin cool is amazing. We've had some 15-20mph wind gusts and it's held so far. If it can't handle the elements and falls apart, I'll totally get another one and mount it on the inside - it won't be as effective as being outside, but every little bit helps.

There's also an 80% opaque version which would be cool if it allowed you to see outside like the Magneshade, but it may just not be as thick or something.

Anyway, if you're a Axis/Vegas owner and are looking for a cheap, low effort sunshade, this might do the trick.

EZ
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	38241   Click image for larger version

Name:	inside.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	38242  

Old 06-23-2022, 01:50 AM   #2

Model: 2023 Jayco Precept 31UL
State: Florida
THOR #1589
Thanks for sharing. Please report back how this holds up.

During the 6 years we had out Vegas, we used an even cheaper accordian style windshield screen from that big supply store with the letters C and W. For inside, they sell for under $20. Now we are using it in our Hurricane. Similar to the reflectex, but much easier.
Old 06-23-2022, 02:17 AM   #3

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Thanks.
I've bought it on your recommendation.
White is $36
Other colors, black, gray, blue, are $24 and a 15%coupon.

I bought white.

This is a most excellent newb post.

You cost me $36 plus tax.
Go take a look at my signature thread. I hope it costs you plenty.

And $125 for ceramic 15% film (tint) added to my windshield. Only 1,200 or so miles on it since, but it made a noticable difference in heat through the windshield. I think I paid $1015 or $615 for every window on the 24.1

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 04:00 PM   #4

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Texas
THOR #26120
Follow-up after a week's use. The portable sunshade works great, is easy to set up and take down once you get used to it. I only had a couple times during the week when a suction cup failed and had to be re-applied, and that was with a *lot* of wind. As I mentioned in the first post it's ALMOST perfect sized, but I always ended up with a small gap at the bottom, but it was hardly an issue.

Some tips for anybody who picks it up.

1. Make sure you have a good ladder tall enough to help you reach the top of the windshield. It's tough to reach the ones in the middle and you definitely don't want to have to lean against the windshield for support.

2. I attached all of the suction cups at the top, put one each on the side, and only the bottom corners. I tucked the bottom beneath the windshield wipers.

3. Carry a wet rag with you as you so you can wipe the spot on the windshield where you are placing the cups and the cups themself as you apply them.

4. The suction cups are made of cheap plastic and if you unscrew them all the way they fall apart into three pieces that bounce in all directions. It took a little practice, but I got to where I could unscrew them without going too far.

5. The screw mechanism actually works pretty well. You tighten the knob onto thee screw and it draws the suction cup into a plastic collar, allowing it to hold. You unscrew it to release the suction. So back out the screw most of the way to flatten out the cup, apply the cup and then tighten it to create a strong hold.

6. To release, unscrew the the knob almost all the way. If the cup doesn't come off, use your fingernail to break the hold - again you have to get used to how far to go before the knob falls off and you're chasing the pieces.

7. Finally, the cups themselves and the screw assembly are plastic and feel pretty cheap, so I don't know how long they'll last long term. By only using them at the top and corners, that leaves about six to spare so that's nice. Amazon also sells this type of suction cup in packs of 12 that should work as replacements.

All and all, I'm super happy with how well it worked during a very hot and windy week in Texas. It got over 100 every day and without this sunshade the cab area was just unbearable, even with the powered shade down.

Well worth the money.
Old 06-27-2022, 04:03 PM   #5

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I may just silicone my cups to the windshield if I find I use the shade often.
They'll be permanent until I don't want them to be.

Thanks for the follow up.
Keep us posted on other mods.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axis, sun shade, vegas, windshield shade