Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Fleetwood Bounder 35P
State: Florida
THOR #15054
Exclamation YIKES! Major electrical issues. Please help!

Hey, all. We have had our Vegas 24.1 for about 5 weeks now. Everything has been going fine, even had our first three-day roadtrip with great success, but this week, something very strange is happening.

When I went out to do some work on her two days ago, I went to put the radio on. It would not come on. Realizing I had not turned on the house 12V power, I went back to do that and discovered it was already on. OK, I thought, I'll just power it down and back up again. Pressing the button did nothing. The light stayed on, no matter how many times I tried it.

Thinking my batteries must have been run down (even though there was nothing left on for the day and a half since we were in it last) I tried to fire up the generator. That will not even attempt to start.

I live in an RV park that is owned by my daughter and son-in-law so they told me to go park in an empty spot and hook up to shore power. I did that, but here's where it gets even weirder. I can now access my multiplex control panel, and all of the functions there seem to operate (lights, hvac, etc.) but I STILL cannot switch the power on or off using the button. I also still have no stereo nor any life in the generator. (They taught us to push the generator button down for five to ten seconds before starting it up. A yellow light appears when I do that, normally. Now, no yellow light.) When I check the monitor it shows the house batteries at about 13.46 V; when I check them manually using a digital meter, I get 3.07. I double-checked on my Ford Explorer (to make sure the voltmeter was working) and I got 12.4.

I left it plugged in all night long. It is still 3.07 this afternoon.

What the heck is happening, here?

Old 07-04-2019, 07:28 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Have you checked the 100 amp breaker in the battery box to see if it needs to be reset?
Old 07-04-2019, 07:38 PM   #3

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
Have you checked the 100 amp breaker in the battery box to see if it needs to be reset?
No. But, I will. I'm assuming it is obvious when I get there? Nah, nothing works like that, I know!

I'll go see if I can find it.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #4

THOR #15054
OK, that 100-amp breaker was definitely tripped. Reset that and got back some of the functionality that was missing, but not all. Before that, the slides, awning, and generator had zero life. Now the slides and awning work, but not the generator (even though the multiplex system says "priming", then "starting"). The stereo head unit is still down, as well. The batteries are showing 3.05.

So, one problem fixed (thanks!) but still a ways to go, sadly.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #5
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Certainly check the breaker, but the 3.07v at the batteries is Certainly sounding like dead house batteries... too dead to activate the use/store solenoid... the 13.46 at the monitor is from the converter when plugged in to shore power.
Best bet would be to check water in batteries, and use an external car battery charger to see if they come back. I’m thinking with good voltage on batteries, things will work as they should.
Batteries can easily drain in a couple of days depending on what is on... an interior or basement light... smoke, CO, and propane detectors, etc...

Now the stereo should be working on the converter... but the genny may be only seeing the 3.07v from batteries assuming (dangerous thing) it isn’t wired thru the use/store switch.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 08:11 PM   #6

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Certainly check the breaker, but the 3.07v at the batteries is Certainly sounding like dead house batteries... too dead to activate the use/store solenoid... the 13.46 at the monitor is from the converter when plugged in to shore power.
Best bet would be to check water in batteries, and use an external car battery charger to see if they come back. I’m thinking with good voltage on batteries, things will work as they should.
Batteries can easily drain in a couple of days depending on what is on... an interior or basement light... smoke, CO, and propane detectors, etc...

Now the stereo should be working on the converter... but the genny may be only seeing the 3.07v from batteries assuming (dangerous thing) it isn’t wired thru the use/store switch.
I know not much about batteries but everything I read says 12.0 is basically dead, so 3.0??? I have to believe one or both of these things are toast. This unit sat on the lot for 9 months before we bought it so I'm suspect of them, to say the least.

I'll go look at the water level. The stereo is really perplexing. That's not a major draw at all.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:54 PM   #7

Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
THOR #12751
I have a different model...... an Outlaw 29H.... but when shore power is plugged in, the red light in my Use / Store switch will always be lit..... regardless of whether the switch is in Use or Store.

When not on shore power, the red light goes off when I switch to Store. The only way I can tell which mode I’m in with shore power is to turn in the Inverter and watch the voltage. If the voltage goes up, I know I’m in store mode because the batteries start charging.

Do you have the red light in your switch? If so, what happens to the light when not on shore power and you change it from one mode to the other?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:25 PM   #8

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I have a different model...... an Outlaw 29H.... but when shore power is plugged in, the red light in my Use / Store switch will always be lit..... regardless of whether the switch is in Use or Store.

When not on shore power, the red light goes off when I switch to Store. The only way I can tell which mode I’m in with shore power is to turn in the Inverter and watch the voltage. If the voltage goes up, I know I’m in store mode because the batteries start charging.

Do you have the red light in your switch? If so, what happens to the light when not on shore power and you change it from one mode to the other?
Light is on when on SP. Cannot turn off manually. When SP is disconnected, light goes off. Cannot turn on.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:33 PM   #9

THOR #12751
YIKES! Major electrical issues. Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyB View Post
Light is on when on SP. Cannot turn off manually. When SP is disconnected, light goes off. Cannot turn on.

Ok.... that helps narrow things down a bit. The light won’t go off with shore power plugged in so that is normal.

If you can’t get the red light on switching to Use mode without shore power, that means the batteries are not engaging..... it also means the batteries might not charge when plugged into shore power when the switch is in Use mode.

With the shore power unplugged, start the coach and see if you can get the red light to come on in Use mode. The alternator should be providing current back to the house batteries to charge them. I would think if the house batteries aren’t totally fried, the alternator would give you enough juice to get the 12v circuit running.

If the coach running won’t light the red light in Use mode, then I would start looking at the following:

- Fuses
- Relay
- Batteries
- Cable Connections

I’d also put the house batteries on a separate charger to see if you can get them charged as well.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:48 PM   #10

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
Ok.... that helps narrow things down a bit. The light won’t go off with shore power plugged in so that is normal.

If you can’t get the red light on switching to Use mode without shore power, that means the batteries are not engaging..... it also means the batteries might not charge when plugged into shore power when the switch is in Use mode.

With the shore power unplugged, start the coach and see if you can get the red light to come on in Use mode. The alternator should be providing current back to the house batteries to charge them. I would think if the house batteries aren’t totally fried, the alternator would give you enough juice to get the 12v circuit running.

If the coach running won’t light the red light in Use mode, then I would start looking at the following:

- Fuses
- Relay
- Batteries
- Cable Connections

I’d also put the house batteries on a separate charger to see if you can get them charged as well.
Already did try the motor running. No light. Can't even hear the clunk sounds that it makes when you turn on and off. Will check fluid in batteries tomorrow and put on a charger to see what they will hold. Thanks, again.
Old 07-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #11
Site Team

Model: Axis 24.1 Windjammer
State: Illinois
THOR #7074
Add all new batteries with battery disconnect on both house & chassis. That will save you the most $$, heartache,misery and time. Good luck!!
Hellwig 7718 Front Sway Bar & 7180 Rear Sway Bar
Koni FSD Front Shocks 8805-1042 / Koni FSD Rear Shocks 8805-1043
revjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:51 PM   #12

THOR #12751
There should / could be a couple 40a fuses in your power control panel. I would check those and swap them out if you have any spares. I keep spare fuses for all of the circuits just in case and for troubleshooting like this.
Old 07-04-2019, 11:15 PM   #13

THOR #15054
I made sure of the fluid in each of the 12 cells. It was a hair low, and I mean barely, in three of them. Not enough to cause this. I put a day into those three, then put the battery charger on it and I'm letting it sit overnight. We'll know more in the morning. Thanks for everyone's help!
Old 07-04-2019, 11:15 PM   #14

Model: Vegas 25.2
State: Missouri
THOR #4687
Quote:
OK, that 100-amp breaker was definitely tripped. Reset that and got back some of the functionality that was missing, but not all. Before that, the slides, awning, and generator had zero life. Now the slides and awning work, but not the generator (even though the multiplex system says "priming", then "starting"). The stereo head unit is still down, as well. The batteries are showing 3.05.

So, one problem fixed (thanks!) but still a ways to go, sadly.
I am guessing that, since the 100 amp breaker was "thrown" that the house batteries were not getting any charge from SHORE POWER or ALTERNATOR..

If your COACH BATTERIES still wont engage the USE/STORE, then I would check the terminals at the COACH BATTERIES, while on SHORE POWER check to see if you are reading 14v+ or 13v+ with a MULTIMETER at the batteries...

The CONVERTER "should" be sending charging voltage to your COACH BATTERIES, it just might take a while to charge from 3v+ (Also dont forget the suggestion to check the water in the cells)
Old 07-04-2019, 11:23 PM   #15

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo_Mike View Post
I am guessing that, since the 100 amp breaker was "thrown" that the house batteries were not getting any charge from SHORE POWER or ALTERNATOR..

If your COACH BATTERIES still wont engage the USE/STORE, then I would check the terminals at the COACH BATTERIES, while on SHORE POWER check to see if you are reading 14v+ or 13v+ with a MULTIMETER at the batteries...

The CONVERTER "should" be sending charging voltage to your COACH BATTERIES, it just might take a while to charge from 3v+ (Also dont forget the suggestion to check the water in the cells)
I can't figure out how to actually check the coach battery. It's so far up under the hood that I can barely get my meter on one terminal.

I'm gonna let that charger work overnight and hope for the best. Good news is I'm not going anywhere with it for several weeks.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:21 AM   #16

THOR #15054
In the words of Daffy Duck, "I demand that you shoot me now!"

I guess the good news is, we're pretty sure we have a battery problem. After 45 minutes of charging using the 2 amp setting, I walked back over to the RV to see if there had even been an incremental increase. From 3.x to 12.0. Uh-huh. 45 minutes at 2 amp did that, huh? I then reached over and hit the power switch and "clunk", she turned on just like she wouldn't all day. Walked to the front of the cab and voila, the stereo came on.

My son-in-law and his father both think that at least one of the batteries is defective, possibly having a short in it. I'm going to drive to an auto parts store tomorrow and have them put the batteries under their testing to see what they say about them.

smh
Old 07-05-2019, 12:22 AM   #17
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
I can't figure out how to actually check the coach battery. It's so far up under the hood that I can barely get my meter on one terminal.

I'm gonna let that charger work overnight and hope for the best. Good news is I'm not going anywhere with it for several weeks.

The battery nearly unreachable under the hood of the Axis/Vegas is the chassis battery. Seems this is ok as you are able to start the coach. The ‘advertised’ means of replacement is through the desk area of the dash... Some have done it through the wheel well.

The coach batteries on Axis/Vegas I believe are under the entry steps. Hopefully the charger on these will help.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:26 AM   #18

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
I THINK you can check the cab battery at the red junction in the picture.
It's at 2 o'clock when facing the radiator. I believe it's the transfer switch for the emergency start jump from the two body batteries. If luck prevails, the top terminals will be the coach and the other the cab...or vice versa.

(just in case:You check the batteries under the step by putting the multimeter on the two posts farthest away from each other. Your Farthest left on one battery, your farthest right on the other. This give you voltage across the two.)

I ordered this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IV...b_b_prod_image
And this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004H...b_b_prod_image
Just last night.
Mine doesn't always charge on shore power and it also runs down the cab battery.

I'll mount those terminals next to the radiator.
A 'no fumbling' method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0704191718.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	18695  
Old 07-05-2019, 12:39 AM   #19

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
I THINK you can check the cab battery at the red junction in the picture.
It's at 2 o'clock when facing the radiator. I believe it's the transfer switch for the emergency start jump from the two body batteries. If luck prevails, the top terminals will be the coach and the other the cab...or vice versa.

(just in case:You check the batteries under the step by putting the multimeter on the two posts farthest away from each other. Your Farthest left on one battery, your farthest right on the other. This give you voltage across the two.)

I ordered this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IV...b_b_prod_image
And this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004H...b_b_prod_image
Just last night.
Mine doesn't always charge on shore power and it also runs down the cab battery.

I'll mount those terminals next to the radiator.
A 'no fumbling' method.
I'll check out that connector by the radiator tomorrow. Thanks for that!
Old 07-05-2019, 12:41 AM   #20

THOR #15054
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
The battery nearly unreachable under the hood of the Axis/Vegas is the chassis battery. Seems this is ok as you are able to start the coach. The ‘advertised’ means of replacement is through the desk area of the dash... Some have done it through the wheel well.

The coach batteries on Axis/Vegas I believe are under the entry steps. Hopefully the charger on these will help.
Yeah, the coach battery has not given me any hint of a problem. (Yet.) The two under the stair is what I've been dealing with all day. BTW, have I just missed it, or is there really no way to prop that 2nd step up while you are working on the batteries? I would have thought there would be a clip or something, but I surely didn't see it if it exists!