Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Motorcoach & Motorhome > Class A Motor Coach
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Illinois
THOR #2030
Zero gravity and the Vegas 24.1

I really want two zero gravity recliners for our new Vegas 24.1. Unfortunately, when we went to CW to try a few, we couldn't find one that fit in the basement compartment. Carrying them in the living space is not an option, unfortunately.

Can anyone send me in the right direction with a brand and/or type that will fit? Anyone have any experience with chairs that fit???

Old 07-06-2015, 12:19 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
My storage compartments are a lot larger so I will not try to address that aspect of the question.

Have you looked at this type:

http://www.amazon.com/Caravan-Sports...recliner+chair

I bought a couple of similar ones from Home Depot.

You should be able to make a ladder mount to carry them if they do not fit in the compartment.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (Toad)
FMCA - F432054
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:39 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
We have two that barely fit in the drivers rear storage (part of the pass through). Let's see if I can find them on the camping world website.....

Well they must be discontinued, or Campingworld doesn't sell them anymore. We purchased two of them years ago when they were on sale for $55 each.

Like I said: they barely fit. Its always a puzzle getting them into the compartment door as I have to remember what the proper orientation is where they will fit, and once one of them is in there is little room to squeeze the other on top of it.
You can see them leaning up against the camper at left in this picture:

And you can see one sitting out next to the picnic table here:

Unfortunately, though, I doubt either pic will help you out.

The one Dave linked to is very similar to our two.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #4

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Georgia
THOR #1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamurr View Post
I really want two zero gravity recliners for our new Vegas 24.1. Unfortunately, when we went to CW to try a few, we couldn't find one that fit in the basement compartment. Carrying them in the living space is not an option, unfortunately.

Can anyone send me in the right direction with a brand and/or type that will fit? Anyone have any experience with chairs that fit???
Mine fit in the drivers side basement also. I purchased mine from Bed Bath and ..... for $38 with their willy wonka golden 20% off ticket.

Happy Trails.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:23 AM   #5

Model: ACE 30.1
State: Florida
THOR #1499
I purchased two zero grav chairs from Academy Sports about three/four months ago for $49. Boy do they feel good! I also purchased a CAMCO chair rack for my ladder and stabilize the chairs with bungee cords on the rack. The two chairs are a little over the rack's weight limit of forty pounds by about 8 pounds. So far, three trips and no problems. I could never get the chairs to fit properly in the ACE's small pass through and they rattled quite a bit. I just checked the latest Academy Sports catalog that I have and they are still listed in it. Good Luck!
Old 07-18-2015, 03:24 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
When I had a Sprinter Class B I always carried a tray in the hitch. I had a plastic cover bag for extra storage. I have used it from time to time on the Axis to carry several chairs including two zero gravity lounges. This also allows me to carry things I don't want to put inside, like a charcoal grill. I just used it on a trip to the Gulf and it worked out well. If you want I'll try to find links to the units. The carrier is about fifty bucks and the cover about the same. The hitch is five feet wide and two deep. I can carry a lot of stuff on it.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #7

Model: 2016 Newmar
State: Indiana
THOR #1075
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...rds=hitch+tray

I have item 2 and 3. I can carry a large ice chest, more extra chairs than the entire campground would need, DW's extra shoe bag and a lot more. I used to put three large plastic storage containers full of needed items. I had no, zero, zip basement in the Airstream Interstate 3500. The Axis was like moving into a large warehouse for storage. The bag is completely waterproof and safe for travel. I would bungee is or use straps and they stayed in place.

You can see better quality trays, even aluminum but I picked these because I was new to RV'ing and didn't know what to expect.
Old 07-18-2015, 06:52 PM   #8

State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
Amazon.com: hitch tray

I have item 2 and 3. I can carry a large ice chest, more extra chairs than the entire campground would need, DW's extra shoe bag and a lot more. I used to put three large plastic storage containers full of needed items. I had no, zero, zip basement in the Airstream Interstate 3500. The Axis was like moving into a large warehouse for storage. The bag is completely waterproof and safe for travel. I would bungee is or use straps and they stayed in place.

You can see better quality trays, even aluminum but I picked these because I was new to RV'ing and didn't know what to expect.
There are also options to purchase hard-sided enclosed hitch carriers in many sizes from many manufacturers. I've seen quite a few in campgrounds on smaller motorhomes with limited outside storage. They are particularly common on Class Bs, often with a swing-away hitch so rear doors can be opened (that option adds cost but not needed on most Class As).

Some go up to 50+ cubic feet, although that much volume seems too large to me for the limited weight-carrying capacity unless mostly hauling light items like chairs or bikes.

This thread highlights for me the benefits of one larger mega storage compartment at the rear. I had one on a large rented Class C and quickly learned to appreciate how useful it was. I wish smaller motorhomes like Axis/Vegas would include one in their design.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:08 PM   #9
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I wish smaller motorhomes like Axis/Vegas would include one in their design.
The 24.1 floorplan sort of does: Complete pass-through storage under the rear beds. In ours this space holds almost all of the stuff we used to haul in our "basement" in the 5th wheel. It is quite large--at least for the Axis models.

The passenger side of the storage has a low floor with an area perfect for hauling our Weber Baby Q.

The drivers side is just large enough to fit the aforementioned zero gravity chairs.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:00 AM   #10

THOR #2121
Jamie, I usually judge the rear compartment's size as if I was going to load a couple of bikes, or better yet a tandem, and none of the Axis/Vegas even come close. On the 24.1 model the generator on the driver's side limits storage height at that end, and the drawers between the beds stick into the storage space effectively limiting larger items from being loaded. I've thought that if I bought a 24.1 I would eliminate those drawers to open up the outside storage. While I understand most people may want a night table-like arrangement, I'd prefer a bigger Mega Storage compartment.

The last unit I rented from Cruise America had a much larger compartment under the bed. Not as large or as tall as on many European motorhomes that have a small garage under the beds but large nonetheless. I'd guess close to 4-ft front to back, about 3-ft tall, and 8-ft across the motorhome. It was probably close to 100 cubic feet.

I think Thor may have built the Class C I rented from Cruise America, although I'm not sure. I also found it interesting that the overall height of the Class C was lower than an Axis/Vegas, yet they found enough height under the bed for such a large compartment.

On other Thor motorhomes I've seen taller rear compartments that I like even better than on my rental. If they are going to build it, it should be tall enough for most bikes minus the front wheel. By the way, the rear door on this Cruise America I would eliminate.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #11
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance
I usually judge the rear compartment's size as if I was going to load a couple of bikes,
I bet I could load a bike or two in the Axis from the driver's side if I removed the front wheel--it would be tight though .

Yeah I was trying to watch my wording, though as I know the storage area isn't that big.

Even so Thor does advertise it as:
Quote:
Exterior rear MEGA storage compartment
On the Features page
Old 07-19-2015, 05:39 PM   #12

THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
I bet I could load a bike or two in the Axis from the driver's side if I removed the front wheel--it would be tight though .

Yeah I was trying to watch my wording, though as I know the storage area isn't that big.

Even so Thor does advertise it as:

On the Features page
When I first saw the 24.1 my first impression was that a typical road or mountain bike wouldn't fit at all. Considering a folding chair doesn't fit it's hard to visualize how an adult's bike could be maneuvered into place from the driver's side. Two bikes would be incredible.

I didn't try it but on the units I've seen the space between where the bedroom drawers go and the back of the compartment doesn't look wide enough for the rear wheel(s) or the fork/bars. That's why I thought removing the drawers could open the Mega storage so that bikes could go in on their sides. Unfortunately that requires one bike to lay on the other, which I don't like to do even when padded.

I want/prefer a compartment that allows the bikes to ride upright with only the front wheel off. Some Thor and (previous) Damon motorhomes do a good job providing such a compartment.

By the way Jamie, does your compartment look like the one in this picture? I want to make sure we are on same page because I have a hard time seeing two bikes fitting in such a small space.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:52 PM   #13
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yes that is the "Mega" storage in the 24.1.

Simple: Remove front wheel and then turn handlebars so they are parallel with the bike then slide it in the shown hatch forks first so that the rear wheel lays flat in the open area shown. It may be possible to lay two on top of each other (If necessary you could remove the pedals). The front wheels could be stood up on the passenger side.

Granted I have not tried this but the description I just provided is how I would attempt to load bikes in there if I were to try. When we do bring bikes I just use my hitch mounted swagman carrier since its much easier and my "Mega" storage is already full (in addition I can watch the bikes on the rear camera).

When we tow a car and need bikes we just load them in the car.

Even attempting to put bikes in there seems like a silly exercise anyway (because as you mention--its too small ).
Old 07-19-2015, 06:41 PM   #14

THOR #2121
Jamie, do you happen to know what's under the passenger-side bed that "may" limit the Mega compartment from having a door on passenger side that is as wide as the one on the driver's side? Beyond the height difference due to generator it does not appear symmetrical.

It may be an optical illusion on these pictures but the compartment seems smaller front-to-back on these pictures. And door is certainly smaller in that direction.

One of the things I like about the Cruise America Class C's Mega Storage pictured above is that there is room for a spare tire to drop in between frame rails from above inside compartment. I know these details add cost and weight but they sure would be nice as an option.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:24 PM   #15
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

THOR #1150
Yes you are correct. The doors are asymmetrical:
On the drivers side the generator prevents it from being too tall.
On the passenger side the water tank is immediately in front of the door/front wall of the storage compartment (and the water pump and some plumbing, including the pipes that go around the drawers to the bathroom--thus if you'd want to remove the drawers to move that wall forward you'd also have to relocate some plumbing and a furnace vent).

You can clearly see the plumbing and the water tank in the attached diagram.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TFW0117.pdf (208.4 KB, 87 views)