Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2021, 11:05 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 29M
State: California
THOR #5061
Axxera has no power after new batteries

I replaced the house batteries and now the Axxera unit will not turn on.
2017 Hurricane 29M. Is this my excuse to replace the unit or did I just not hit a reset button?
Thanks,

Old 09-26-2021, 11:12 PM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisemory View Post
2017 Hurricane 29M. Is this my excuse to replace the unit or did I just not hit a reset button?
Thanks,
Which Axxera unit? and is it the only thing not working now?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #3

THOR #5061
AV614BH. Everything else seems to be working.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:28 PM   #4

THOR #13058
Quote:
AV614BH. Everything else seems to be working.

Okay that is the radio. Where I was getting at is why would the radio be impacted by House batteries? You said you replaced the House Batteries so I was thinking maybe an Axerra TV was out? I would think the radio is wired to Chassis battery.

Regardless, my money says to pull the radio and/or look for the fuse that supplies it power. It must be blown.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 09-26-2021, 11:37 PM   #5

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
Okay that is the radio. Where I was getting at is why would the radio be impacted by House batteries? You said you replaced the House Batteries so I was thinking maybe an Axerra TV was out? I would think the radio is wired to Chassis battery.

Regardless, my money says to pull the radio and/or look for the fuse that supplies it power. It must be blown.
They've wired our radio to the house battery for some reason. I guess so that you can play it while camping? It's quite annoying. You have to make sure the 12v system is on, not in store mode, to be able to use the backup camera. Another annoying thing is that the clock on the radio zeros out every time the coach is put in store mode. Don't even know why they bother. You can't listen to it when driving, too much road noise.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:43 PM   #6

THOR #5061
I also replaced the chassis battery. Thanks for your ideas.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:50 PM   #7

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynetaylor55 View Post
They've wire our radio to the house battery for some reason. I guess so that you can play it while camping? It's quite annoying. You have to make sure the 12v system is on, not in store mode, to be able to use the backup camera. Another annoying thing is that the clock on the radio zeros out every time the coach is put in store mode. Don't even know why they bother. You can't listen to it when driving, too much road noise.
Wow I didn't know that, they really do build these things differently? So let me get this straight, when you start the engine you have to hit another button to turn radio on? and when you finish driving and turn the accessory switch off; your radio will still be on until you turn it off

My unit has a switch next to radio; so if I want to turn the engine / accessory switch off, I can flip another switch to still get power to the radio. It is nice because there is another switch in the outside kitchen that will flip the speakers from outside TV to inside radio.

So for OP, he may have simply missed reconnecting that wire that feeds the radio, or during the process he blew a fuse? That fuse may be close to the battery depending upon how wired.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:56 PM   #8

THOR #13058
Quote:
I also replaced the chassis battery. Thanks for your ideas.
Did you by any chance take BEFORE and AFTER pictures? I replaced my House batteries about 4 months ago and that is what I did. You would be amazed at how often I have to go back to those pictures. Since it is House battery, you may be able to find out which DC Breaker controls it inside the RV, maybe it is tripped, if not a fuse or disconnected wire.

Good luck
Old 09-26-2021, 11:57 PM   #9

THOR #21941
Quote:
Wow I didn't know that, they really do build these things differently? So let me get this straight, when you start the engine you have to hit another button to turn radio on? and when you finish driving and turn the accessory switch off; your radio will still be on until you turn it off

My unit has a switch next to radio; so if I want to turn the engine / accessory switch off, I can flip another switch to still get power to the radio. It is nice because there is another switch in the outside kitchen that will flip the speakers from outside TV to inside radio.

So for OP, he may have simply missed reconnecting that wire that feeds the radio, or during the process he blew a fuse? That fuse may be close to the battery depending upon how wired.
It's just the coach use/store switch that disables 12v in the coach. That has to be in "use" position in order to see the backup camera. I store onsite, so if I just need to move it around, I have to turn the switch to "use".

I may just rewire to the ignition so that I can have a clock in the cab when driving.

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
Old 09-26-2021, 11:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Thanks,
Assuming lights and other DC loads work as usual, you may have blown the inline fuse to the radio (may be on the back of the radio) or you may need to reset the radio using the recessed reset button on the face of the radio. Press and hold it for about 15 seconds.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:14 AM   #11

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Gotta be a blown fuse. Our Axxera head unit is also wired to the house batteries... battery disconnect has to be on for backup monitor/camera. I blew several fuses when changing house batteries.

My guess as to why it's wired I to the house batteries is to avoid parasitic drain on the chassis battery when stored?? It really doesn't bother me... I only use the rear monitor function. The audio output is horribly painful... why ANYONE would install such a POS radio is beyond me, other than they're a dime a dozen for Thor.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:25 AM   #12

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Gotta be a blown fuse. Our Axxera head unit is also wired to the house batteries... battery disconnect has to be on for backup monitor/camera. I blew several fuses when changing house batteries.

My guess as to why it's wired I to the house batteries is to avoid parasitic drain on the chassis battery when stored?? It really doesn't bother me... I only use the rear monitor function. The audio output is horribly painful... why ANYONE would install such a POS radio is beyond me, other than they're a dime a dozen for Thor.
But if radio is powered by accessory switch what parasitic drain could there be? This is fresh & dear to me because I just connected my wireless steering wheel controller to the same accessory switch as radio so that it will not drain or work when switch is off?

I think Thor may have done so you could play music from radio without the key being in ignition or on? We do this quite often, but they have a switch to turn on that bypasses the accessory 12vdc+ source.

But I am with you, and others who believe fuse is blown. OP may ultimately be thankful that the fuse was all that got damaged.

BTW, I washed the roof over the weekend. The Turtle Wax Ceramic Spray is holding up. I saw a few leaf stains, but overall it cleaned up quite easily. 2 more months when all the leaves are down I will wash it again and make assessment. I don't believe it will last one year in my application.
Old 09-27-2021, 01:42 AM   #13

THOR #16721
Quote:
But if radio is powered by accessory switch what parasitic drain could there be? This is fresh & dear to me because I just connected my wireless steering wheel controller to the same accessory switch as radio so that it will not drain or work when switch is off?

I think Thor may have done so you could play music from radio without the key being in ignition or on? We do this quite often, but they have a switch to turn on that bypasses the accessory 12vdc+ source.

But I am with you, and others who believe fuse is blown. OP may ultimately be thankful that the fuse was all that got damaged.
Parasitic drain from the station preset memory... but not sure of the drain... should only be a few milliamps - which would take a LONG time to drain a 12volt battery.

More likely...

Considering the POS speakers are over the dinette in mine, it would make sense to not have to put a key in the ignition and turn to accessories... that would be a PITA. I believe Thor intended it to be dual purpose - used while driving (with the battery use/store switch in "use" position), AND as part of some morbidly horrible entertainment system. There is an HDMI input. Other than the rear camera, I've written it off as a crude torture device for the ears...
Old 09-27-2021, 02:02 AM   #14
Site Team

Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
Parasitic drain from the station preset memory... but not sure of the drain... should only be a few milliamps - which would take a LONG time to drain a 12volt battery.

More likely...

Considering the POS speakers are over the dinette in mine, it would make sense to not have to put a key in the ignition and turn to accessories... that would be a PITA. I believe Thor intended it to be dual purpose - used while driving (with the battery use/store switch in "use" position), AND as part of some morbidly horrible entertainment system. There is an HDMI input. Other than the rear camera, I've written it off as a crude torture device for the ears...
The constant power, memory 12 VDC IS supplied by the chassis battery. The main power is supplied by the house batteries so you can play the radio without needing the key in ACC.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:09 AM   #15

THOR #5061
Thank you for your replies. I think it is as simple as a fuse but which fuse and where. I see a fuse box with fuses and circuit breakers under the bed, fuses my left foot as I drive, fuses in the cables for the chassis batteries, and a fuse box in the motor area which I haven't been able to open yet. Any easy way to find out which fuse location might be the blown fuse? It was mentioned the fuse at the rear of the Axxera 614 unit, does the unit need to be removed to get to this and how is this done? Thank you.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:44 PM   #16

THOR #13058
Quote:
Thank you for your replies. I think it is as simple as a fuse but which fuse and where. I see a fuse box with fuses and circuit breakers under the bed, fuses my left foot as I drive, fuses in the cables for the chassis batteries, and a fuse box in the motor area which I haven't been able to open yet. Any easy way to find out which fuse location might be the blown fuse? It was mentioned the fuse at the rear of the Axxera 614 unit, does the unit need to be removed to get to this and how is this done? Thank you.
Yes in every case that I have known, but it is possible you may be able to get underneath to find the fuseholder or have some other access. You can check out all of the 12vDC circuit breakers for the House Batteries if you don't know which one.

But I would focus on the actual radio fuse behind the unit. If you can see, get to remove the radio, you may need to take to Car Stereo place, if you lucky they do for free and you tip the $20 but expect to pay around $75.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:13 PM   #17

THOR #21941
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16ACE27 View Post
The constant power, memory 12 VDC IS supplied by the chassis battery. The main power is supplied by the house batteries so you can play the radio without needing the key in ACC.
Not true in our case. All power is supplied by the house battery.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:37 PM   #18

THOR #16721
I've had our Axxera head unit out several times... but our coach is a class C with a Ford E-Series dashboard... which is most likely much different from yours.

Regardless, although not "easy", you can remove/reinstall it yourself. After all, part of the fun of owning a motorhome is digging in to see how things work! Which makes you all the more prepared when things break!

The following is exactly what a shop would do:

In ours (like most) the dashboard can be partially removed by pulling loose the clips holding it in place. It's designed this way exactly for this purpose. Feel around the bottom and pull outward - you'll be able to tell as the plastic flexes where the clips/fasteners are. Once you get one or two "popped out", it's just a matter of working around the edge.

There are four screws holding the Axxera unit in the dash - two top, and two bottom. They are hidden behind the dash trim - so as you pop the dash out, focus on revealing those screws.

Remove those screws and the unit will slide mostly out - only restrained by the power harness, speaker connections, etc. But at this point, if you can see the power harness, you can trace it around to find the fuse holder.

Then, reassemble in reverse order.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford E-Series 2020 dashboard.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	33930  
Old 09-28-2021, 02:55 PM   #19

Model: 2011 FW Hurricane 33T
State: England
THOR #16471
Our 'older' Hurricane has the radio fuses in the BCC under the hood.
It works off of the coach batteries, so when camped, the chassis disconnect is 'opened' and the radio still works.

EDIT: I just noticed the memory fuse is larger than the regular radio fuse. :-/
Old 09-29-2021, 03:14 AM   #20

THOR #5061
After a call to Thor, Ford, and Axxera and mainly the comments from this forum, I decided to try to fix it myself. The simple problem was no power to the radio. I found two radio extraction tools with a picture and was able to pull the radio out of the dash. I undid the power chord to the back of the radio and there was a 15 amp fuse hiding there, plugged into the radio. The fuse checked out good, but I replaced it anyway and upon reassembly everything worked.

Thanks for all your help.