Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2021, 04:27 PM   #21

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.3
State: California
THOR #17673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawise View Post
If I have any issues what was the cost of the Atoto?
Does it fit in or stick out the radio slot?
They have a tremendous amount of models with slightly different feature sets.
They do have ARM based that are cheaper.
They have models that are more expensive than the one I chose
They have single and double DIN models.

Mine does hang out since it is a "floating" 10" screen.

Here is the link to the one I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VTYKPL/ref=emc_b_5_i

Old 04-19-2021, 02:23 PM   #22

Model: Freedom Traveler A30
State: Oklahoma
THOR #23072
Angry Anyone had this problem ?

Hi folks, we just bought a new 2019 Thor Freedom Traveler A30 in August of last year have had a few problems, with Axxera TVs and the front cab radio...wondering if anyone else has had these problems

#1 poor quality sound with the TVs........anything above the 3 or 4 sound level sounds like your listening to a speaker in a jack in the box ......I corrected this by adding sound bars to front and back TVs

#2 Current as of last month front radio was in DEMO MODE....when I went out to start up the generator and check the batteries, could not get out of the demo mode.....called Thor was on the phone with them for over an hour doing things like trying the paper clip reset as well as pulling the fuses in the main box to see if it would reset NADA ENCHILIDA....they gave me Axxeras number I emailed and called I was told via phone as well as email they do not have a DEMO MODE on their radio I offered to send them a picture of it, but NO they dont have a DEMO MODE which seems to scroll through all the screens so show you what the radio does....bottom line RV is now back in the shop to get the radio replaced.....anyone else have this problem happen to them??? Thanks everyone David and Louise trying really hard to get on the road soon......
Old 04-19-2021, 02:34 PM   #23

Model: Freedom Elite 28H
THOR #3559
Axxerra woes

The Axxerra woes are very common. If you do a search of this forum's posts you will see a long list of issues and possible resolutions. We finally got a Kenwood DDX6706S through our credit card rewards program and took it to Best Buy for installation. It cost around $100 because the rewards program had purchased it through Best Buy, they honored their installation fee. Anyway, we also purchased a Kenwood remote control device through Amazon for $20. It works great and no more Axxerra headaches. Our motorhome came with Seiki TV but we haven't had any problems with them. TV watching is mostly for a couple of hours before bedtime if it's too cold outside for us.

Replace the Axxerra radio if you can. If you don't have an owner's manual, you can download it from the internet. A previous post has the link.

Good luck!
Old 04-19-2021, 02:50 PM   #24

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
same here replaced radio right away and this is true
#1 poor quality sound with the TVs........anything above the 3 or 4 sound level sounds like your listening to a speaker in a jack in the box ......I corrected this by adding sound bars to front and back TVs

Got a sound bar!! will replace with smart tv once they fail
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:57 PM   #25

Model: Four Winds 28A
THOR #21941
....and a subwoofer?

I was thinking the same thing about adding a soundbar to the TV. I see that there is a bracket you can buy that mounts to the back of the TV to hold the sound bar. I would just reverse that and put it above the TV where there is more room (the TV currently is less than an inch above the above cab mattress).

I was also thinking of putting a subwoofer in the jackknife couch since there seems to be plenty of room underneath (too back THOR couldn't have put in a couple of drawers in that space!)

Watchdog hardwired EMS, Alignment, Roadmaster front sway bar, vent covers, Dew Gutter
waynetaylor55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:16 PM   #26

Model: Vegas 25.6
State: New Mexico
THOR #20220
Ordered this great sound tested in house also
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210509-091523_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	30358  
Lora & George. Golden Retriever & Multi-Gen Australian labradoodle & new ALD in March. Happy Campers!! E Biking, Hiking, Tennis, Scuba,Fishing,Cross Country Skiing, Snowshoeing. Retired H.S. Principal, Sr. IT Engineer, Life & Health Insurance Agent
"Today is a Gift and Why it is called the Present"
Scubawise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #27

Model: Freedom Traveler A30
State: Oklahoma
THOR #23072
my gear

Hey guys thanks for the response, I found a 36 inch sound bar at wally world made by ONN which is the Wally World brand that they had on sale for $39 that was very adequate, at some point I will up grade I installed three brackets under TV then used the modern science marvel zip ties LOL it works and doesnt bounce the sound bar around it fits right under my Axxera 40 inch tv. The one in the back bedroom I ran through my Sharp five cd changer stereo that has a bass booster in it just took an aux cord and put it in the back of the TV in that connection then into the front of the stereo....WOW....it sounds wonderful with nice bass, highs and lows and you can actually understand what they are saying when watching a movie. The other additional feature, I can run head phones through it if I dont want to disturb the wifey... at some point I will buy some new TVs and install them.... I did get my other issue with my Axxera front radio taken care of so finally have our RV back, so I figured total time that it has been in for warranty work has been almost six months lol im thinking maybe do what my mom and dad did when we were kids, dad converted our 63 vw van into a semi camper took out the back seats, built a frame and put in a mattress where they slept when we went on our vacations.. of course guess who got to sleep out in the dirt with all the bears and wild life lol us kids!!! Ahh the good ole days......Thanks guys
Old 06-07-2021, 04:07 AM   #28
lwj

State: Nevada
THOR #23133
What model of Kenwood did you buy?
Old 06-07-2021, 04:17 AM   #29

THOR #3559
We bought the Kenwood DDX6706S. It was purchased through a credit card rewards program and came from Best Buy. Because we had a Best Buy invoice, the local Best Buy installed it, charging us $100. We considered that a good deal. We really like the Kenwood. The rear camera now has grid lines which make parking easier. We also purchased the optional Kenwood remote control from Amazon for about $20. I would recommend this model
Old 06-07-2021, 02:00 PM   #30
lwj

THOR #23133
Thanks for that information. Pricey at around $1.200 but better than penny saved pound foolish of Thor in putting in the Axxera to begin with. How does that tie in with the radio device installed in the RV, which I have yet to use? Seems like a waste to have both devices. That and the exterior TV with a sound bar which my Thor Synergy has. I can only imagine the horror of neighboring campers witnessing me pulling up beside them and running a loud war movie on my exterior TV using the sound bar. If Thor would have nuked that TV, nuked the interior radio, and installed your Kenwood to begin with, we'd all been better off. Are you listening, Thor??
Old 06-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #31

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I don't know about your model lwj, but on many Thor makes the exterior TV an option. I ordered mine without it.
Old 06-15-2021, 08:07 AM   #32

State: Arizona
THOR #22044
it needs a reset.....just put a opened paper clip into the reset hole on left side ....good as new we had same problem...it fixed it!
Old 06-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #33

THOR #3559
It is pricey but we didn't pay cash for it, we used a credit card rewards program. I highly recommend that if you qualify for a credit card with a rewards program, you sign up for it. The points accumulate quickly and we have used them for restaurant gift cards, camping gear, printer cartridges., etc. The radio in the bedroom area does not tie into the in-dash unit as far as we have been able to determine. The rear unit has internal/coach speakers and also exterior/patio speakers. I don't see the necessity for the second unit but since it's there, we use it for outdoor music mostly.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:29 PM   #34

THOR #3559
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlyzbldcj View Post
it needs a reset.....just put a opened paper clip into the reset hole on left side ....good as new we had same problem...it fixed it!

A reset is a good place to start. We had to reset on at least three different occasions until our Axxerra finally died completely. Maybe that's why they put in the rear unit
Old 06-15-2021, 03:02 PM   #35

State: Arizona
THOR #19571
When they install the Axxera at the factory, it appears to come with a red power wire with a fuse holder. On my unit, they clipped that off and then butt connected the power wire to a yellow wire that goes all the way back to the breaker next to the battery master in the rats nest of wires behind the converter/fuse box. There they butt connected the bit of power wire they clipped at the unit and attached it to the yellow wire and then attached it to the downstream side of the master breaker. I'm sure there have been head unit deaths because the connection at the breaker either came apart at the connection or the inline fuse blew and nobody knew where to find it.
I haven't upgraded the head unit yet but I did upgrade the speakers all around which made a noticeable change in the quality of the sound.
I would like to see a link to instructions or video to replacing the unit in the dash if anyone has one.
Old 11-19-2021, 03:01 AM   #36
WG4

THOR #25087
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Nelson View Post
When they install the Axxera at the factory, it appears to come with a red power wire with a fuse holder. On my unit, they clipped that off and then butt connected the power wire to a yellow wire that goes all the way back to the breaker next to the battery master in the rats nest of wires behind the converter/fuse box. There they butt connected the bit of power wire they clipped at the unit and attached it to the yellow wire and then attached it to the downstream side of the master breaker. I'm sure there have been head unit deaths because the connection at the breaker either came apart at the connection or the inline fuse blew and nobody knew where to find it.
I haven't upgraded the head unit yet but I did upgrade the speakers all around which made a noticeable change in the quality of the sound.
I would like to see a link to instructions or video to replacing the unit in the dash if anyone has one.

I will figure out how to repost this to my request for help as well. I have a 2017 Thor Outlaw with the “house battery change blew up my Axxera” problem posted over in Maintenance and repair. My 15amp inline fuse was behind my main fuse box under the closet. Easy to find it by removing the drawers above the fuse box. There it was….staring at me! I was above, below, and in the bowels of my RV lookin’ for that darn fuse! Thanks for the shot of courage to look in and BEHIND the fuse box/converter. 5 minute fix if ya know where to look!

Tags
axxera radio out