Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Forum Admin and Announcements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Single Sign-on?

There is a collection of sites that share credentials across platforms (e.g. Thor and IRV2). Do these sites have single sign-on functionality? I tried and it doesn't seem so. I wanted to ask in case I did something wrong (check a box?). Shared creds don't seem to do much good if that's where it ends.

Thx

Old 11-02-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
Most RV Life forums have a single sign on if you used the same email address to set up an account.

Password updates at one site will propagate to any other sites you have set up profiles for.

Ping me if you need an assist with this or hit the contact link at the bottom of the page to reach the support desk.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:18 AM   #3

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
I suspect The Breeze means he'd like to sign on once, literally, say, to irv2.com, and automatically be recognized as already signed on when coming to thorforums.com. Not that the sign on credentials would be the same, but that he would only have to sign on once for all of the RV Life forums.

Unfortunately (and fortunately) that's not really possible, or at least, not at all straight-forward. The different RV Life forums all have different domains. (irv2.com vs. thorforums.com, etc.) The way the website knows that you've signed on is with a cookie stored in your browser, but cookies can only be served back to the same domain that created them, so when you go to thorforums.com, the site doesn't receive the cookie for your irv2.com login.

There are ways around that (by having all of the sites call to another domain, and store the cookie associated with that domain instead of the primary one, and then redirect the user if the user is determined to already be logged in) but they're somewhat difficult to implement due to browser checks put in place in order to try to prevent cross-site scripting attacks, and take time to maintain too, because cross-site scripting is an area of active "research" on the part of the bad guys, so browsers keep changing things.

Anyway, If you check the "Remember Me" check box, you only have to login once, so IMO it's really not a big deal to have to login for each separate RV Life domain.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:38 PM   #4

THOR #12189
That's is what I wondering about. Single Sign-on but not the SSO implementation. Otherwise, atreis' explanation would be dead on.

I was thinking of SAML which is implemented for the purpose of differing domains. We used it a major US bank (2nd largest) and if it was safe enough for them, it could be considered bullet proof.

"Prior to SAML, single sign-on (SSO) was achievable but relied on cookies that were only viable within the same domain. It achieves this objective by centralizing user authentication with an identity provider. Web applications can then leverage SAML via the identity provider to grant access to their users. This SAML authentication approach means users do not need to remember multiple usernames and passwords. It also benefits service providers as it increases security of their own platform, primarily by avoiding the need to store (often weak and insecure) passwords and not having to address forgotten password issues." (re:
https://www.onelogin.com/learn/saml)

Hope that clears it up but I think atreis is still right in this regard. We still haven't gotten our updated look and feel I can't see rv life forums investing in the technology.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:48 PM   #5

Model: Thor Ace 33.1
State: Illinois
THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
That's is what I wondering about. Single Sign-on but not the SSO implementation. Otherwise, atreis' explanation would be dead on.

I was thinking of SAML which is implemented for the purpose of differing domains. We used it a major US bank (2nd largest) and if it was safe enough for them, it could be considered bullet proof.

"Prior to SAML, single sign-on (SSO) was achievable but relied on cookies that were only viable within the same domain. It achieves this objective by centralizing user authentication with an identity provider. Web applications can then leverage SAML via the identity provider to grant access to their users. This SAML authentication approach means users do not need to remember multiple usernames and passwords. It also benefits service providers as it increases security of their own platform, primarily by avoiding the need to store (often weak and insecure) passwords and not having to address forgotten password issues." (re:
https://www.onelogin.com/learn/saml)

Hope that clears it up but I think atreis is still right in this regard. We still haven't gotten our updated look and feel I can't see rv life forums investing in the technology.
My security software remembers all my passwords for every site, so does Chrome
Old 11-03-2021, 10:45 PM   #6

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
I hope they don't implement single sign on. I am on the verge of getting banned on another RVLife forum because of posts that are deemed to be 'political' while they are really economic discussions. I'd hate for that to bleed from one forum to another.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 11:25 PM   #7

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
I hope they don't implement single sign on. I am on the verge of getting banned on another RVLife forum because of posts that are deemed to be 'political' while they are really economic discussions. I'd hate for that to bleed from one forum to another.
I'm a moderator on a site that has noting to do with rv's and it's my job to flag anything political in nature. All a person has to do is infer anything to do with politics it's gone because we want it to be friendly for everyone on the site. This is all about rv's and it should stay that way. I hope everything works out for you on the other sites
Old 11-03-2021, 11:59 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 26B
State: Ohio
THOR #20900
IMO, moderating fairly is difficult. One has to set aside one's own opinions and biases, and not all moderators are able to do that. IME, most make a good faith effort of it. A very small number don't.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:07 AM   #9

THOR #20274
Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
IMO, moderating fairly is difficult. One has to set aside one's own opinions and biases, and not all moderators are able to do that. IME, most make a good faith effort of it. A very small number don't.
It is, I need to put all my feelings aside when I'm on there
Old 11-04-2021, 12:14 AM   #10
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
Quote:
IMO, moderating fairly is difficult. .

Please send chocolate...
Old 11-04-2021, 01:44 AM   #11

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
When government actions affect the subject matter of a forum, how do you not discuss such actions? Not allowing open discussion of the subject does a disservice to the members of the forum. It's not all about batteries, solar panels and the cost of campgrounds or fuels. Sometimes the actions of the government are as pertinent to the subject matter as air in the tires is to a safe smooth ride.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 03:49 AM   #12
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Keefer View Post
When government actions affect the subject matter of a forum, how do you not discuss such actions? Not allowing open discussion of the subject does a disservice to the members of the forum. It's not all about batteries, solar panels and the cost of campgrounds or fuels. Sometimes the actions of the government are as pertinent to the subject matter as air in the tires is to a safe smooth ride.
There is a difference between discussing how government action impacts issues and how politicians or political parties actions impact issues. You can discuss government without being political but most times folks let their political feelings inject themselves into the discussion and that’s when we shut it down in a heartbeat. Keep the politics out and the discussion will survive.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:04 PM   #13
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
I keep getting emails from the "IRV" site...
I wish they'd leave me alone.
This is the place that I want to be in...
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #14
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
I keep getting emails from the "IRV" site...
I wish they'd leave me alone.
This is the place that I want to be in...
Go to the other site and change your profile to remove notifications. You control that function.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:42 PM   #15
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Go to the other site and change your profile to remove notifications. You control that function.
That's the funny part: I must have signed up over there; but I don't remember it at all...
Old 11-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Please send chocolate...
https://www.thorforums.com/forums/at...1&d=1636030000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	valentine chocolate heart 35 piece.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	34626  
Old 11-05-2021, 02:00 PM   #17

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
Last of the big time spenders?
Old 11-05-2021, 02:17 PM   #18
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
For dealing with us: she deserves a whole bunch more...