Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Forum Admin and Announcements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2020, 10:05 PM   #1
Administrator

Brand: Airstream
Model: Overlander
State: Washington
THOR #2
Server maintenance - Monday 9/28

On Monday 9/28 our data center will be doing some updates and maintenance. They have notified us that our servers may be offline for some period*of time and that the maintenance*window is 4PM - 11PM EDT* We have little control over this and there*may be no noticeable*service interruption but I wanted to let you know that it's a possibility.

Old 09-26-2020, 01:02 AM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:07 AM   #3
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
Will I survive the Dark Spell??
Old 09-26-2020, 09:55 PM   #4

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Hey Janet,
Is the updated look and feel in this round?

They could run a separate farm and perform a failover for minimal service disruption. We used to have a system that could redirect our URLs to another farm (IP addresses), perhaps even in another data center. Then we were free to update the farms at leisure. Redundancy was required and failover testing had to occur quarterly so that process was leveraged for things like this. Just a thought.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:38 PM   #5
Administrator

THOR #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Breeze View Post
Hey Janet,
Is the updated look and feel in this round?
No - just some server updates.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:51 PM   #6

Model: Axis 25.6
THOR #20407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
On Monday 9/28 our data center will be doing some updates and maintenance. They have notified us that our servers may be offline for some period*of time and that the maintenance*window is 4PM - 11PM EDT* We have little control over this and there*may be no noticeable*service interruption but I wanted to let you know that it's a possibility.
Thanks. I would like to learn about the systems behind the forum. I'm thinking of doing a similar thing for my business. Nothing to do with RVing. Can you point me to who your using for a software, etc.?
Old 10-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #7
Administrator

THOR #2
We are currently using an old version of vBulletin to power the forum.

We are planning to change platforms in the coming year and move to xenforos software BUT you need more than forum software - you also need hosting and regular updates and some tech chops to keep it all running. the current version of vBulletin offers some of those services rolled into the license agreement. Do some research...
Old 10-08-2020, 12:11 AM   #8

THOR #20407
I worked in IT and data centers for 15 years. Thank you.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:19 AM   #9
Administrator

THOR #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasur2 View Post
I worked in IT and data centers for 15 years. Thank you.
In that case - look hard at xenforo.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:23 AM   #10

THOR #20407
Is this the place to ask further questions, or do you have an email or chat service\handle you would care to share. Perhaps there is even a URL for administrators someplace?
Old 10-08-2020, 12:30 AM   #11

THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
We are currently using an old version of vBulletin to power the forum.

We are planning to change platforms in the coming year and move to xenforos software BUT you need more than forum software - you also need hosting and regular updates and some tech chops to keep it all running. the current version of vBulletin offers some of those services rolled into the license agreement. Do some research...
I would think he should consider the underlying OS and move from there. Windows and Linux are the most popular base. There's others out there but that's going to take some some time. Red Hat just started charging for it's software.

He also has to think about hits. How many front ends, how many application and database servers. It may have to be a 3 tier architecture depending on the amount of hits he thinks it'll generate. Usually splitting the load between three front ends, 2 app server and a database server get you started. You can scale horizontally and/or vertically. It's a good platform to get started with. You just have to decide from there

There's also code promotion. The number one thing you can do to discourage people from coming back to your site is a break. That requires testing and reiteration until the breaks are fixed. It should happen in different environments. Developers work in Dev, Testers work in test and users run in production. SCRUM or Waterfall, it should happen. Otherwise he may he may sacrifice reputation risk as well as lost revenue from bad user experiences.

Last I heard the MSFT cloud only charged you for servers in use, so if you overload the other servers kick in. When traffic is low, they fade away and you won't be charged for their use and they'll possible use them for some one else (multi-hosting). AWS is another option and one I know little about. The downside: if your sharing the server with someone else, you're performance could degrade and that's not good for business - no matter the provider.

I ran a 3 business-class server farm in my den. It ran 3 virtual farms: dev, test and prod. They had 3 front ends, 2 app servers and a database server. The DB server ran 3 partitions for each of the environments. It never got enough traffic to capture performance data but it served my purpose.

There's a lot to think about. Either jump in with both feet and take the plunge or do your homework - just try not to get caught up in analyses paralysis.

Look into Dell refurbished servers. Not a lot of investment to see how it all goes. They'll run windows and linux (unix), so no worries there. The I/O core may have be evaluated before you pull the trigger. You may need different drivers if you go unix.

Good luck.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:46 AM   #12
Administrator

THOR #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasur2 View Post
Is this the place to ask further questions, or do you have an email or chat service\handle you would care to share. Perhaps there is even a URL for administrators someplace?
You can just send me a PM if you have more questions.
Old 10-08-2020, 12:56 AM   #13

THOR #12189
Dropping out.