Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Forum Admin and Announcements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2018, 01:38 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
Mixed Messages

My wife and I just bought a 2018 Vegas 24.1 from Camping World, Berkley Mass. This is our first RV and I have had many questions, but answers I am receiving from CW and Thor conflict. So, I am posting, hoping that other Vegas owners can set me straight. First, do the stove top burners have an electric start? Thor said yes, and I must not have battery installed, but CW said no, it is lit by a match. Second, do all TVs operate with one DVD player? Thor said yes, but CW said just the TV in main cabin. Lastly, the cab radio and cameras do not work unless battery switch by entrance is turned on. CW said it is the only way it works, Thor said it should work through fuse connection under the hood. Can anyone set us straight?

Old 06-18-2018, 02:12 AM   #2

Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRob View Post
My wife and I just bought a 2018 Vegas 24.1 from Camping World, Berkley Mass. This is our first RV and I have had many questions, but answers I am receiving from CW and Thor conflict. So, I am posting, hoping that other Vegas owners can set me straight. First, do the stove top burners have an electric start? Thor said yes, and I must not have battery installed, but CW said no, it is lit by a match. Second, do all TVs operate with one DVD player? Thor said yes, but CW said just the TV in main cabin. Lastly, the cab radio and cameras do not work unless battery switch by entrance is turned on. CW said it is the only way it works, Thor said it should work through fuse connection under the hood. Can anyone set us straight?
Wow. First of all welcome!

The wow is because Thor was 3 for 3 on NOT knowing their own products. Unless your stove has a black plastic switch near the burner knobs, you have to light it with a match or butane lighter. Our '18 Vegas 27.7 has the Dometic stove top model that you have to light with a match or lighter. The model that has the lighter costs about $100 more, I guess Thor didn't think we'd notice if they sourced the cheaper model. The other way to tell if it's the 12 volt model with the lighter is it would need to have TWO little pins sticking up near the burners. The one in back looks like a starter, but it's actually a safety shutoff just like a thermocoupler on a furnace or water heater. If it has the lighter, there would be a second "pin" sticking up towards the front side of the burners.

On the TV's they all have separate HDMI cables. You can't watch the same source on all 3 TV's. There is no "main" RCA or HDMI input that would feed all the separate TV's.

And yes, the cab radio only works when the rear battery circuits are on. It's power feed comes from the rear battery.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:14 AM   #3
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
First of all: welcome to the forums.
Second: Download and read Ed's excellent Axis/Vegas manual: http://www.thorforums.com/forums/f10...nual-4961.html

Now third:
Can't answer the stove question (ours doesn't require a battery, just turn the igniter knob but our unit is 4 years older than yours)
For the TV: HDMI connector in the cabinet above the sink only goes to the TV above the door--as far as I know there isn't a "broadcast" feature that sends DVD video to all TVs
Yes cab radio and cameras need the use/store switch on use (or just "on").
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:44 PM   #4

State: Rhode Island
THOR #11834
This guide, Ed Felker's Vegas/Axis Manual, is exactly what new RV owners need. It has answers to questions that I didn't even know to ask.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:27 PM   #5

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
There is a knob on the left side of the stove...looks just like the gas knobs. It's labeled "Spark". You turn the gas on, click the "spark" knob clockwise over a couple times and they light. If the "Spark"knob is not there...you have to use a lighter or match. Hard to believe they don't just spend a few more pennies and include this as standard.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #6
I Think We're Lost!

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Tiffin Wayfarer 24 BW
State: New York
THOR #8860
...And welcome to the forum!
Bob Denman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #7

State: Oregon
THOR #9314
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech16450yz View Post
Wow. First of all welcome!

The wow is because Thor was 3 for 3 on NOT knowing their own products. Unless your stove has a black plastic switch near the burner knobs, you have to light it with a match or butane lighter. Our '18 Vegas 27.7 has the Dometic stove top model that you have to light with a match or lighter. The model that has the lighter costs about $100 more, I guess Thor didn't think we'd notice if they sourced the cheaper model. The other way to tell if it's the 12 volt model with the lighter is it would need to have TWO little pins sticking up near the burners. The one in back looks like a starter, but it's actually a safety shutoff just like a thermocoupler on a furnace or water heater. If it has the lighter, there would be a second "pin" sticking up towards the front side of the burners.

On the TV's they all have separate HDMI cables. You can't watch the same source on all 3 TV's. There is no "main" RCA or HDMI input that would feed all the separate TV's.

And yes, the cab radio only works when the rear battery circuits are on. It's power feed comes from the rear battery.

Hi, i have new 2018 vegas 27.7 also.
Do you have issue with being able to see daylight at the back of front slide when the slide is in?
Old 08-17-2018, 05:08 PM   #8
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
If you can see daylight: you've got a water leak that's just waiting to happen.
I'd point it out to your dealer... Good luck!
Old 08-17-2018, 06:16 PM   #9

Model: Four Winds 31E (2019)
State: California
THOR #12270
i cant speak of the "fancy" class As. we were told that we needed a match to light the stove. upon cleaning the Styrofoam and sawdust around the stove, i knocked off the burners and discovered the spark gap. it became a mission to get them working. upon looking under the unit i saw "power supply = 1.5v DC" the stove has induction and takes a D battery underneath for the spark. (need to remove a drawer to access.) when you press down on the knob to turn it, it sparks now. going to build a D battery eliminator for this eventually.

mine has a blue ray player for main TV and built in DVD players for the bunks. bedroom (to my knowledge) is cable only (no HDMI or blue/DVD player.)

cab radio and cameras are connected to the coach battery and so is affected by the use/store switch.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #10

State: Oregon
THOR #9314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
If you can see daylight: you've got a water leak that's just waiting to happen.

I'd point it out to your dealer... Good luck!

The place that is doing the warranty work put some kind of black silicone on the body of coach by the slide seals.
Says it is good to, should i take it to a second place to look at it?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1881.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	12283
Old 08-17-2018, 08:45 PM   #11

Model: THOR Chateua 35SF
State: Florida
THOR #11130
As the kids today would say...OMG!! I think that gap is a bit more serious than what a little caulk would repair. Have you sent this picture to Thor? I would run it by them and get their feedback. It would seem the slide itself is not properly aligned which could cause motor issues later? Maybe another Vegas owner, more familiar with your coach, can jump in and evaluate this.
Two Labs, Bugsie & Blondie
Blondie passed in 2020 at 5 to Leukemia
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:47 PM   #12
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
I agree: Give Thor Customer Service a call, and see what they think...
Good luck!
Old 08-18-2018, 03:00 AM   #13

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
With '18 models, when they went with the European styling, the stove changed. You have to use a lighter/match to light the burners.
Old 08-18-2018, 03:25 AM   #14
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4Jesus View Post
With '18 models, when they went with the European styling, the stove changed. You have to use a lighter/match to light the burners.
Are you sure? Someone else mentioned they looked under the stove and found a spot for a D battery (that wasn't included). Once they put the battery in they could light the stove by pushing in on the dials.

If you have a drawer under your stove pull it out and look.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #15

Model: Axis 25.4
State: Tennessee
THOR #12170
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Are you sure? Someone else mentioned they looked under the stove and found a spot for a D battery (that wasn't included). Once they put the battery in they could light the stove by pushing in on the dials.

If you have a drawer under your stove pull it out and look.
The knob doesn't look like the type that does that, but I'll check on that, thanks!
Old 08-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #16
I Think We're Lost!

THOR #8860
We can learn something new every day in here...

Whether we want to: or not...