Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2022, 09:53 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27 B
State: California
THOR #18443
2019 Windsport handling

I have a 2019 27 B Windsport, I live in So Cal. and find the freeway roads in poor condition making handling the rig tiring. I've installed a steering stabilizer and sumo springs but still not completely happy with the handling. Has anyone upgraded shocks and front anti sway bar? Does it help?

Old 10-28-2022, 10:49 PM   #2
Site Team

Brand: Entegra
Model: Accolade 37TS
State: South Dakota
THOR #1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryjnsn@gmail.com View Post
I have a 2019 27 B Windsport, I live in So Cal. and find the freeway roads in poor condition making handling the rig tiring. I've installed a steering stabilizer and sumo springs but still not completely happy with the handling. Has anyone upgraded shocks and front anti sway bar? Does it help?
Search the forum for the thousands of posts regarding this very issue.

The self proclaimed experts will chime in shortly.
Old 10-28-2022, 10:56 PM   #3

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
I have not but I have done what you have done on my 2019 F-53

My question is how long have you been driving it? Since 2019 or a few months? My point is I use to white knuckle every drive and now I can drive with one finger with trucks passing by. I am sure what I did helped, but I think I am just better at it now, an simply use to it after 3 years of driving. That may not help you but it is what I have experienced.

PS: I am Non Self Proclaimed Expert
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 11:12 PM   #4

Model: Windsport 29M
State: Arizona
THOR #21314
We have a 2019 windsport 29m and installed the roadmaster front sway bar. Huge difference in handling curves and bad roads. We also installs timbrems front and rear which help also.
Old 11-17-2022, 03:00 PM   #5

Model: Windsport 27K
State: Kentucky
THOR #2817
I have driven many different types of vehicles and the absolute worst ones have been motor homes (class C and class A). Some were better than others, but they all felt top heavy, they all swayed, none were responsive, and none stopped very well. I figure it's the nature of the beast, so I try to compensate for its inadequacies.
Old 11-19-2022, 01:59 AM   #6

Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalman View Post
I have driven many different types of vehicles and the absolute worst ones have been motor homes (class C and class A). Some were better than others, but they all felt top heavy, they all swayed, none were responsive, and none stopped very well. I figure it's the nature of the beast, so I try to compensate for its inadequacies.

I agree, they’re all pigs. But you do get used to it and they seem perfectly safe to drive. Some more so than others and all more so with practice. I’ve noticed that a large percentage of the “white knuckle/ need to make it better” crowd are first time owners.
Old 11-19-2022, 04:13 AM   #7

Model: A.C.E. 27.2
THOR #14698
Your Windsport is on an F53 chassis you can try the CHF, aka the Cheap Handling Fix. Many, many posts regarding this mod. It entails moving the stock Ford sway bar links into the second set of holes in the sway bar. Doesn't cost anything and it might help your handling issues without throwing money into suspension upgrades. If you are the least bit handy you can do it yourself in an hour, or two if you do both the front and the rear.
I did the CHF on our 2108 ACE and have been happy with the results. It still drives and rides like a box truck just doesn't seem to roll as much. No suspension mod or upgrades will make the F53 handle like an F150. Seat time as has been stated by others will help with a lot of the white-knuckle driving.
Roadmaster Invisibrake
MJC62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 12:37 PM   #8

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
State: North Carolina
THOR #17765
CHF, alignment , stabilizer. Front wheels balanced.
Old 11-19-2022, 12:41 PM   #9

THOR #2817
When I first owned a motor home I soon realized that over correcting was causing some of the handling problems. When a gust of wind blows the rig to one side, it's tempting to move the steering wheel too far to the other side.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:45 PM   #10

Model: Forest River Forester 235
THOR #6826
From my motorcycle training I learned to look farther (way farther) down the road and that helps quite a lot to minimize constant corrections. Someone posted here a while back about placing some tape on the windscreen where the edge of the road should be but he was still having a hard time staying in his lane. It’s maybe counterintuitive but looking up helps.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:51 PM   #11

THOR #2817
It's not a good idea to use tape on the windshield, because the driver will tend not to look ahead far enough. I use the mirrors to check for lane position if I am in doubt. However, after driving it for a period of time, one tends to get the "feel" for lane position.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:05 PM   #12

State: New Jersey
THOR #18106
Quote:
i

I have a 2023. M29 and find if you drive 60 mph. Handles fine. 😀
Old 11-24-2022, 11:11 PM   #13

Model: Chateau 28A
State: Arizona
THOR #25443
My first outing in ours and granted an older rig on the Ford e450 chasis I was white knuckled the first few hours till I got a feel for the old gal. She rides like a box truck no question. As to CA highways as mentioned may as well have been a 300 mile washboard on hwy 99. Glad to know I'm not alone regarding the rough ride aspect. After 1500 miles it's just a fact of RV ride for me. We hit wind gusts too but didn't seem to handle bad at all.
Noise was a problem for me trying to hear the DW. A few minor adjustments like a few towels under the stove grates helped a lot. Past that we just turned up the stereo and enjoy some roadtunes.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:37 AM   #14

Model: 2017 Miramar 34.4
State: Florida
THOR #9721
I've put 20,000 miles on my rig. It's still exhausting to drive. Alignment was huge and the sumo springs made the ride much more pleasant. Now that I'm back in Florida, I'm looking at potentially moving to a diesel pusher.
RV Travel Bug
Tearstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 02:22 AM   #15

THOR #2817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
I've put 20,000 miles on my rig. It's still exhausting to drive. Alignment was huge and the sumo springs made the ride much more pleasant. Now that I'm back in Florida, I'm looking at potentially moving to a diesel pusher.
You will enjoy the smoothness and quietness of the diesel pusher, as well as the power. We'd still have ours if it hadn't been so prone to problems once it was a bit over ten years old.
Old 11-25-2022, 05:55 AM   #16

Model: Hurricane 29M
State: Texas
THOR #11781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tearstone View Post
Yup, 25,000 miles on my 29M and I still pull off the road around 3 PM. I'm tempted to go back to a E series class c.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote