Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Forum Admin and Announcements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2016, 07:29 PM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #5360
Four Winds-Electrical system failure

We have a Thor Four Winds RV unit with a full side slide out. While retracting the slide out with the generator running everything suddenly stopped. The slide out stopped midway, the generator stopped and all the electricity went off. Nothing will come back on. The generator cranks over but will not start. I checked the circuit breaker box and no breakers are tripped and I don't see any fuse blown. Anybody know of a possible cause?

Old 09-07-2016, 11:40 PM   #2

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
I have a couple of questions.

If you plug the RV into electric power do you have power, 120vac and/or 12vdc?

Since the generator still cranks, the 12v from the battery is still connected to the generator, so something happened to the connection from the battery to the rest of the RV. Is the battery and/or the generator in the slide?

There could be fuses or circuit breakers in the connections between the battery and the power panel. They should be checked.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:04 PM   #3

THOR #5360
Thanks tenbear for your response. Unfortunately I don't have a power source to plug into. The batteries have good 12+ voltage. Neither the batteries or generator are in the slide out. No circuit breakers nor fuses are tripped or blown. My best assessment at this point is the disconnect relay between the batteries and the 12 volt system might be bad. Again unfortunately I don't have a schematic for the housing electrical system so I have no idea where any relays are.

Unless someone knows where I can get schematics, it looks like I'm going to have to take it in for service. The manufactures don't seem to be any help in providing useful service manuals and schematics.

Thanks again for your response.

Bernie Conko
Wellington, FL
Old 09-08-2016, 01:42 PM   #4

Model: Four Winds 23U
State: Illinois
THOR #992
Quote:
Originally Posted by berncon View Post
Thanks tenbear for your response. Unfortunately I don't have a power source to plug into. The batteries have good 12+ voltage. Neither the batteries or generator are in the slide out. No circuit breakers nor fuses are tripped or blown. My best assessment at this point is the disconnect relay between the batteries and the 12 volt system might be bad. Again unfortunately I don't have a schematic for the housing electrical system so I have no idea where any relays are.

Unless someone knows where I can get schematics, it looks like I'm going to have to take it in for service. The manufactures don't seem to be any help in providing useful service manuals and schematics.

Thanks again for your response.

Bernie Conko
Wellington, FL
I contacted Thor and they sent me schematics for everything on PDF the next day. I have a 2012 Four Winds.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #5

THOR #5360
How did you contact Four Winds?
Old 09-08-2016, 01:51 PM   #6
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
To contact Thor/Four Winds go here: https://thormotorcoach.com/contact/

and click on "Customer Care" at left.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 01:53 PM   #7

THOR #5360
Thanks.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:02 PM   #8

Model: Four Winds 28A Class C
State: Vermont
THOR #4117
My Four Winds has a circuit breaker in the battery to power panel line. It is located under the bed. When I changed my old Magnetek converter to a 3 stage PD 9260 I replaced the existing CB with a higher rated CB and also replaced the #8 wire with #4.

You probably have a similar circuit breaker.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:21 PM   #9

THOR #5360
Thanks, I'm trying to get the schematics.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:33 PM   #10

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
one thought..... have you tried cycling power. I have found that often this helps with these weird issues.

I suggest pulling a battery cable to completely kill all power to the coach for a minute or so, then reconnect and try.

Oh, another thought.... the slides have an interlock with the chassis.... so they will not work if the chassis engine running. I think some might also have an interlock with the parking brake. You weren't by chance starting the chassis engine while cranking in that slide, were you?
Old 09-08-2016, 03:52 PM   #11

THOR #5360
Chassis engine wasn't running.

Pulling battery cable is an interesting idea. At work now so won't have a chance to do anything until later tonight.

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #12

Model: 2013 31L
THOR #908
Yeah, i should have added that I have no basis of an idea about what might be reset in doing this. Nothing specific. It's just one of those things to try, that often works with electrical stuff.

I just understand that the slide has a controller. Also likely some relays involved here that could be stuck..... the controlling circuit boards in the generator even.... Who knows. It's worth a shot.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #13

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #2154
Look closely at the cables running thru the battery compartment. If you see something resembling the picture below, it is a circuit breaker. There is a lever that comes down from it when the breaker is tripped. Pushing up on the lever will reset the breaker.

I'm not sure if this is on your RV model, but it is used on many. Good luck...

Tom
Old 09-08-2016, 07:48 PM   #14

THOR #5360
Thanks Tom, I'll check it out when I get home tonight.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:14 PM   #15

Brand: Still Looking
Model: 2019 Coachman Catalina
State: Wisconsin
THOR #5432
In the Chateau class c the breaker is underneath the coach by the steps and it is a red push in button
Old 09-21-2016, 12:13 PM   #16

THOR #5360
Smile

Suspected the relay for the battery disconnect for storage mode was bad but could not locate. Know it is somewhere under coach but have no means of getting under there. Took it to our service mechanic and he confirmed that it is bad and a breaker is also tripped (don't know where that one is). Fortunately it should be covered by the extended warranty we bought.

Thanks to all for their suggestions, comments and replies.