Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-23-2023, 01:32 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Windsport 27K
State: North Carolina
THOR #11007
Propane Usage Rate for Fridge?

I'm sure some of you smart people have already addressed this somewhere in the forum; but since I'm not one of you smart people - I can't find it

2 week+ trip planned in a couple of months, with several boondocking days on both the front and back ends. Has anyone calculated how much propane is needed (with reasonable temp settings) to run a fridge over time? We'll be looking at almost 4 days (96 hours) on gas outbound, and almost 5 full days (120 hours) back.

Don't know exact model of fridge, but it's a NorCold of 2014/15 vintage. Based on inside gauge and the little temp-sensitive sticker I put on the tank - my 21gal tank should be at least 85% full at the moment. Fridge would be the only thing sucking from the propane tank.

Should that get me safely through the first 4 boondock days at least? Would be nice if it covers the whole 9 days; but of course I can refill (at a northeastern US campground premium prices) before heading back home if necessary.

Old 05-23-2023, 01:43 AM   #2

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
It will get you more than a month.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 01:59 AM   #3

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Connecticut
THOR #20289
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksface View Post
It will get you more than a month.

David
Old 05-23-2023, 02:02 AM   #4

Brand: Still Looking
Model: SOB
State: Florida
THOR #27719
Likely closer to a year if only the fridge is used. But what about hot water? If the fridge is on propane then surely the water heater is too?

But in any case, you should be good for the trip.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:09 AM   #5

Model: 22E
State: New York
THOR #12119
not sure the size of your fridge but I found this on another website:

The Dometic RV fridge with 8 cubic feet of internal space is rated at 1500 BTUs (British thermal units) per hour. One gallon of propane has 91,502 BTUs. So essentially you could run your fridge for roughly 61 hours off 1 gallon of propane
Old 05-23-2023, 02:24 AM   #6

Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
And
When I find myself to be the smartest person in the room,
I change rooms.

Click on my pictures then click the pop-up for a full screen zoomable picture.
ducksface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 03:29 AM   #7

Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
I thought I was smart, but I can't find the room

The only way for us to make the propane needle move to any relevant degree is when the furnace is on. The hot water heater is none factor as we turn on 10 minutes before a shower. Once hot; the water stays hot a long time even though heat is off. When we leave; our fridge stays on 24/7, electric when we have shorepower or driving, and gas all the other times.

Propane is one of many points that confused me as a newbie as some posters actually rigged to carry extra propane containers, unless they planned to spend a week in the Yukon during the middle of winter, I can't imagine why.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 12:50 PM   #8

Model: Windsport 27K
THOR #11007
Thanks all! Sounds like I'll be in good shape. Thanks for reminder of water heater usage, though I don't expect to need that much. Only other thing I forgot - DEFINITELY have to fire up a burner each morning for a percolator pot before getting back on the road!
Old 05-23-2023, 03:31 PM   #9

Model: Chateau 24F
State: Ohio
THOR #16721
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I thought I was smart, but I can't find the room

The only way for us to make the propane needle move to any relevant degree is when the furnace is on. The hot water heater is none factor as we turn on 10 minutes before a shower. Once hot; the water stays hot a long time even though heat is off. When we leave; our fridge stays on 24/7, electric when we have shorepower or driving, and gas all the other times.

Propane is one of many points that confused me as a newbie as some posters actually rigged to carry extra propane containers, unless they planned to spend a week in the Yukon during the middle of winter, I can't imagine why.
While considering your first MH purchase, didn't you envision the whole thing going up in a ball of flames while using propane while mobile?? Better add that to your list.

I agree with the assessment that the stove, water heater and fridge all just sip propane... but the furnace is a propane guzzler! We can easily get an entire season provided we use the furnace very sparingly.
Old 05-23-2023, 04:44 PM   #10

Model: Hurricane 29M
THOR #11781
As others have said, a full tank of propane goes a lot further than you might expect. Most summers we take a six week trip to visit relatives. For us, that means about 2 weeks of driving each way so the refer is almost always on propane. Add in the use of the range for cooking and the water heater and we may use 1/8 of a tank. The only thing that uses the propane in a noticeable quantity is the furnace, which doesn't run in the summer. I usually fill the tank in the fall for our cool weather camping and the tank lasts all winter and all the way thru the summer season.
Lt Keefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 09:58 PM   #11

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chateau_Nomad View Post
While considering your first MH purchase, didn't you envision the whole thing going up in a ball of flames while using propane while mobile?? Better add that to your list.
It was filling up with fuel with propane on and/or driving through a tunnel with propane on. Turn my fridge OFF was NEVER an option, that is where I keep the beer The RVers spreading phobic fears about driving an RV with Propane Fridge On did NOT have a chance in hell in shaking me.

Now as fate would have it, I would make a mod to run my fridge off the inverter while driving. I love that simple mod for lots of reasons.

The other propane thing where fears were spread with some folks frequently turn the propane tank gas valve on and off, and then have propane gas flow problems when trying to start some things back up

That Tank only goes OFF when tank is being filled. It is just a waste of time in my opinion.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
Old 05-27-2023, 07:38 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
We’re on a 12 week trip thru the NP’s . Using propane for fridge while driving, electric for hot water, and several (7 or 8) sub 40 nights using the furnace set to 65, we used 1/2 tank (10 gals) of propane. Unless you’ll be in the Arctic you should be ok.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:56 PM   #13

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
We’re on a 12 week trip thru the NP’s . Using propane for fridge while driving, electric for hot water, and several (7 or 8) sub 40 nights using the furnace set to 65, we used 1/2 tank (10 gals) of propane. Unless you’ll be in the Arctic you should be ok.
What or where are the NP's? ^&$#@
Old 05-27-2023, 08:06 PM   #14

Model: Freedom Traveller A27
THOR #17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
What or where are the NP's? ^&$#@
National Parks. I’m learning abbreviations
Old 05-27-2023, 08:33 PM   #15

THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo56 View Post
National Parks. I’m learning abbreviations
Apparently me too. I tried real hard, got an extra beer even, but that didn't help. But now I know what you meant NP ( No Problem)