Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Forum Admin and Announcements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2017, 12:40 AM   #1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Connecticut
THOR #4972
Replacement coach battery recommendations for Vegas

I've got a 2017 Vegas bought last July. Having problems with coach and chassis batteries going dead. Thor dealer insists the problem is with the coach batteries. There are group 24 but I'm told group 27 will fit. Can anyone please suggest a battery/brand to use?

I'm sick of dealing with this dealer, and I think his diagnosis is BS. The chassis battery is supposed to be isolated. He can't seem to comprehend this and Thor hasn't been much help. I'm going to replace the coach batteries and then see what happens.

Thanks for any input.

Curt

Old 05-11-2017, 12:49 AM   #2

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
I replaced both my house batteries and even added two more for the Trojan t-125 http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/dat...ata_Sheets.pdf
I now have enough power to run lights, tv and fridg. all night with out having to start up my Gen.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:54 AM   #3

THOR #4972
So you have four 6 volt batteries wired in series and parallel and they fit okay? I'm in a Vegas, what are you in?
Old 05-11-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
They have approx 36' Challenger... Many Axis/Vegas owners on here so they can confirm - but I don't expect the 4 Trojans will fit (in the stock location) on the Axis/Vegas...

The batteries do get tied together for charging - by a BIRD/Trombetta or Battery Control Center. But they shouldn't die together...
Many have found parasitic draws on coach and/or chassis - even with coach switch in STORE. That can easily drain a batter bank in a week or two.

How long does it take to drain the battery? days/weeks??

Certainly can be the battery - but may want to rule out other drains to not drag down new batteries.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:54 AM   #5

THOR #4972
It was stored all winter with the house isolation switch in the "store" position. When we opened it up to get it ready to use, both the chassis and coach batteries had held their charge and worked just fine. It then sat for 48 hours with the coach isolation switch in the"use" position. Went to start it and found both the coach and chassis batteries were completely dead. NOTHING was left on. This has happened 3 times since we've had the unit. Interesting side note, when hooking up a charger to the chassis battery, immediately the radio comes on - it was not on when we shut it down.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:13 AM   #6

Brand: Still Looking
State: Alabama
THOR #3789
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtpg View Post
So you have four 6 volt batteries wired in series and parallel and they fit okay? I'm in a Vegas, what are you in?
I am sorry I am in a 36 foot Challenger and not sure about the room you may have. Was just saying what brand and type of batteries I went with. They do have 12 volt batteries as well if that's what you have, A very good brand of battery that a lot of people go with.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
Axis/Vegas Enthusiast

Model: Axis 24.4
State: Michigan
THOR #1150
Axis/Vegas has the same storage for batteries as most Class C's: The little area under the top entry step. Thus no room for more than two batteries.
JamieGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #8

Model: Gemini 24TX (Formerly)
State: California
THOR #5821
Check with a golf cart supplier for deep cycle batteries. I have had fairly good luck with interstate batteries. If you are willing to spend the $$'s and want maintenance free, you could consider AGM batteries.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:45 PM   #9

Model: 28z
State: North Carolina
THOR #7401
Bought 2 deep cycle 27's at Costco, interstate batteries, for $90 each. Ran them parallel. Same age = even discharging, I am told.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:01 PM   #10

Model: Axis 24.1
State: Texas
THOR #6523
We replaced the two group 24 defective batteries in our new 2017 Axis with Interstate maintenance free AGM batteries with 3 year warranty.
Old 05-11-2017, 05:05 PM   #11
gmc

Model: Hurricane 32A
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtpg View Post
It was stored all winter with the house isolation switch in the "store" position. When we opened it up to get it ready to use, both the chassis and coach batteries had held their charge and worked just fine. It then sat for 48 hours with the coach isolation switch in the"use" position. Went to start it and found both the coach and chassis batteries were completely dead. NOTHING was left on. This has happened 3 times since we've had the unit. Interesting side note, when hooking up a charger to the chassis battery, immediately the radio comes on - it was not on when we shut it down.
There is always draw on the coach when switch is in 'use'... though 48 hours sounds like too short a time. Check the storage compartment lights - very easy for one of those to get left on and unnoticed... An ammeter can show you what the draw is from the batteries - may help isolate. Things like Propane/CO detectors always draw - though it is minimal...

My rig won't last a week in 'use' without charging - but 2-3 days should be no problem.

The chassis should have been isolated with switch in 'use' and not connected to shore power or generator, and engine not running... Might look in that area for issues if they aren't properly isolating.

Batteries still could be the issue - but sounds like there is something else too...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:14 PM   #12

Model: Freedom Elite 26HE
State: Illinois
THOR #4282
For the coach batteries just make sure they are 100% virgin lead. Menards batteries sell at a great price. Costco, Sams club also good. Batteries have a sticker with the date they were made so look before you buy. It is not uncommon to find a battery a year old or more on a shelf. Kind of like picking out Milk find the newest one. I was at a autozone once and the only deep cycle they had was almost 2 years old.

I wonder if the chassis came from Ford with a battery. The batteries Thor installs in the coachs are garbage and most need to be replaced within a year. Mine didn't even last that long. Now the batteries from Ford are good batteries and you shouldn't have a issue but I'm not sure if the chassis came with a battery or Thor put in a garbage one.

A loose or corroded connection can cause the coach battery to drain.
Old 05-11-2017, 08:15 PM   #13

THOR #7425
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentilebrian View Post
For the coach batteries just make sure they are 100% virgin lead. Menards batteries sell at a great price. Costco, Sams club also good. Batteries have a sticker with the date they were made so look before you buy. It is not uncommon to find a battery a year old or more on a shelf. Kind of like picking out Milk find the newest one. I was at a autozone once and the only deep cycle they had was almost 2 years old.

I wonder if the chassis came from Ford with a battery. The batteries Thor installs in the coachs are garbage and most need to be replaced within a year. Mine didn't even last that long. Now the batteries from Ford are good batteries and you shouldn't have a issue but I'm not sure if the chassis came with a battery or Thor put in a garbage one.

A loose or corroded connection can cause the coach battery to drain.

When I bought my Axis from CW last year, One of the tax whispered to my wife to insist on house battery upgrades as part of the deal. CW did it without any hesitation.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #14

Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
About 18 years ago, I switched to AGM batteries in all my vehicles including my RV. They do self-discharge but at a rate 10 times less than any flooded battery. I have stored my Corvairs for up to 6 months with the batteries disconnected and found them fully charged in the spring. I found two size 31 AGMs would power our 4 cuft electric frig for 36 hours through the sine wave inverter in our previous class A coach. Again disconnecting the batteries in the RV for storage in October and reconnecting the for the spring trip to Florida, I found I did not need to keep them on a battery charger.
Beau388 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:55 AM   #15

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
AGM Batteries

I replaced my coach batteries on my 2015 Axis with
2 of VMAX XTR31-135 AGM Battery 12V 135Ah Group 31 Sealed Deep Cycle for RV Camper Boats [ASIN: B071X37STT]
Old 09-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #16

State: Arizona
THOR #7430
They told me my radio was tied to the house battery. You are right you shut everything off in the radio stays on its supposed to have an automatic shut off after 10 minutes so I sit there and wait for it to make sure it's off. It's kind of a stupid design.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #17

THOR #7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recalculating View Post
I replaced my coach batteries on my 2015 Axis with
2 of VMAX XTR31-135 AGM Battery 12V 135Ah Group 31 Sealed Deep Cycle for RV Camper Boats [ASIN: B071X37STT]
Can you tell me how you have them wired? Positive to positive. In series or parallel I'm kind of bummed that I have to buy a brand new battery for a coach that's 5 months old.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #18

Model: Axis 24.2
State: Tennessee
THOR #3743
have them positive to positive and negative to negative. I added some black tape to the negatives because all cables had red ends on them.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #19

THOR #7430
Yes I noticed that about the red ends. Thanks for the info