Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Community Forums > Thor Owners Community Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2022, 06:17 PM   #1

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Thor Vegas 24.1
State: Tennessee
THOR #28230
Speedometer off because of larger tires 2022 Thor Vegas 24.1 E350

19.5 rims with 32" tall tires causes the speedometer to be off by 6 mph. I thought my SCT programmer could adjust the tire size but it cannot. I read and read forums where most said take it to Ford and if you have a good relationship with them, they will adjust the PCM. Or, just get over it and use your GPS for speed.*

For me, I don't like work arounds and besides, what else is being affected by the wrong tire size? This may be common knowledge to a lot of you but not me so let me share; I kept digging and came across Forscan programers. The only problem, a lot of info on how it works on a F350 but nothing on the E350; so for $21 I took a chance and purchased it. Received it in the mail and 30 minutes later, the speedometer was reading*correctly again.*Pretty easy to use.

I am not afiliated or do I get paid if you click the link below, I am only trying to help people that may have the same issue.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083FML519...roduct_details

One more thing, you will have to download a $10 add on to adjust the tire size. Still a heck of a bargan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20221019_101605 (2).jpg
Views:	65
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	40014   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221024_114847.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	40015  

Old 11-04-2022, 01:51 PM   #2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
Ford dealership told me that Ford does not allow the re-programing but an after market product would do it. Looks like you found one that works.

Being a little familiar with re-programing vehicles....in that I've known several in the Ford Bronco community that use Forscan to add driving modes, start/stop, change DRL's etc...Caution is needed. So many systems are electronic that a few years ago were mechanical. And, so many systems are cross-linked. I do hope you get your speedo set correctly. We also have the up=sized 19.5 tires. A correct speedo is best.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:17 PM   #3

THOR #28230
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy View Post
Ford dealership told me that Ford does not allow the re-programing but an after market product would do it. Looks like you found one that works.

Being a little familiar with re-programing vehicles....in that I've known several in the Ford Bronco community that use Forscan to add driving modes, start/stop, change DRL's etc...Caution is needed. So many systems are electronic that a few years ago were mechanical. And, so many systems are cross-linked. I do hope you get your speedo set correctly. We also have the up=sized 19.5 tires. A correct speedo is best.
Yes Happy, according to a guy at 5 star tuning, were i purchased my scw programmer, he said most vehicles after 2014 uses the oem computer to program tire size which affects the speedometer, and the gear ratio is based on the drive shaft rotation not the wheel size. Can't certify that but that's what I was told. It seems to be true with my 2022 e350 as the bigger wheels didn't seem to affect the gear ratio but did definitely affect the speedometer. Now, after using Forscan, my speedometer*is dead on.

I would add, I would be careful too but I'm pretty sure if the oem computer is not compatible with the forscan, it simply will not work and no harm will be done.
Old 11-05-2022, 01:03 PM   #4
Mag

Model: 5
State: Ontario
THOR #16132
Tires

Tn Johnny, what size are the tires and rims? Didn't know you could go to that size a tire and rim. I have a 2019 Axis and it may be worth looking into. Why did you change, ride or?? Thanks
Old 11-05-2022, 02:30 PM   #5

THOR #28230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
Tn Johnny, what size are the tires and rims? Didn't know you could go to that size a tire and rim. I have a 2019 Axis and it may be worth looking into. Why did you change, ride or?? Thanks

Click on link for full story. Basicaly, the front tires on my 2022 24.1 vegas are running at 96% capacity. I personaly don't like to run on the edge of safety so I upgraded the tires and rims.

19.5" Michelin 19.5 225 90

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ght-32638.html
Old 11-05-2022, 02:42 PM   #6

Model: 2022 Axis 24.1
State: Kansas
THOR #24565
tjracer is who i believe 1st posted about installing the 19.5 inch wheels.
A couple of us bought the same rims he speaks of in the link below.
It has been a very good modification for our us and our Axis.

https://www.thorforums.com/forums/f2...ims-30957.html
Old 11-06-2022, 01:41 PM   #7
Mag

THOR #16132
Tires

So which tire are you using, the X, XDS, X Multi D? And did you do a lift of any sort or do these have ample clearance in the wells?
Old 11-06-2022, 10:17 PM   #8

THOR #28230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mag View Post
So which tire are you using, the X, XDS, X Multi D? And did you do a lift of any sort or do these have ample clearance in the wells?
No lift. My experience is that lifting only causes more problems. No clearance issue either. XZE is the tire.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20221106_091857.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	40047   Click image for larger version

Name:	20221106_091843.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	40048  

Name:	20221106_091836.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	40049  
Old 11-07-2022, 01:26 AM   #9
Mag

THOR #16132
Nice, thanks for the info. Will have to check it out
Old 11-10-2022, 12:17 AM   #10

State: British Columbia
THOR #9668
Larger tires

Larger tires then original will turn slower with lower RPM which means that indicated travelled distance will be shorter and indicated fuel consumption will be larger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tn Johnny View Post
Yes Happy, according to a guy at 5 star tuning, were i purchased my scw programmer, he said most vehicles after 2014 uses the oem computer to program tire size which affects the speedometer, and the gear ratio is based on the drive shaft rotation not the wheel size. Can't certify that but that's what I was told. It seems to be true with my 2022 e350 as the bigger wheels didn't seem to affect the gear ratio but did definitely affect the speedometer. Now, after using Forscan, my speedometer*is dead on.

I would add, I would be careful too but I'm pretty sure if the oem computer is not compatible with the forscan, it simply will not work and no harm will be done.

Tags
e350, forscan