Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Thor Forums > Thor Tech Forums > Modifications and Updates
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2020, 02:04 AM   #41

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyhehn View Post
I wish I had read CampTap's post in December. I had a near tragedy last week and want to warn others. In the past I sometimes need to bring power to the RV before leaving on a trip, for the fridge. I use a 100 foot (14/3) extension cord run out to my RV from my garage plug. Usually the cord is fully uncoiled, but this time the RV was close to the house so I left the cord coiled on a stepstool, next to the RV dogbone adapter. When we returned from a shopping trip we had a moderate sized campfire on the stepstool, 2 feet from the RV. I grabbed the fire extinguisher and put out the fire. The house breaker had tripped, but too late to prevent the cord heat from igniting the cord insulation. Amazingly the RV wall was warm but not damaged, and the fire had not spread. Could have been a disaster but we were lucky. Lessons: 1 - Use a 12/3 cord if you are powering a residential fridge plus charging house batteries; 2 - DO NOT leave an extension cord coiled in use; 3 - Fire extinguishers are worth their weight in gold. Know how to use yours and be sure it is ready for use.

I noticed that a 12 ga cord got warm when running my RV on a 20A outlet in my garage. Certainly it’s adequate but I carry 50ft of 10ga cord now. Couldn’t hurt...

Old 01-21-2020, 02:18 AM   #42

Model: Vegas 24.1
State: North Carolina
THOR #11380
In 2003 I had a home built in Pamlico County and lived in my 2690 Layton TT on site. Part of the electrical work was to install a temporary 30A outlet to power the TT. When electricity was wired into the house, I had the 30A outlet moved to the house.

Best $50.00 I ever spent. It has its own dedicated breaker.

Some time this summer or next I'm building a log cabin in Western North Carolina. You can bet that I'll be adding an exterior 30A outlet for my RV and the RV of guests.
2015 Thor Vegas 24.1
Calman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 03:14 AM   #43

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
You might also consider only 50 ft or less of 12/3. Sounds like the 100 ft is too long when at home. Do you by any chance know what the size of the breaker is in the electrical panel for the outlet you used?

Any 14-gauge cord between 0 and 50 feet long should adequately handle loads between 10 and 15 amps.

Those long runs can be trouble especially if not needed.
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #44

Model: Palazzo 33.2
State: Georgia
THOR #8078
Cord - $50
Dogbone - $22
Fire Extinguisher - $20
Step ladder - $30
Shorts - $6
Wife's shorts - priceless
Old 01-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #45

State: Missouri
THOR #6903
10/3 extension cord is the only safe way

Even then check plugs and adapters for heat

I have never have used an extension cord without creating heat when connected to the MH or previous campers